It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Kidney Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2011, 01:11 AM   #1
(male)

fur89 HB User
Please help, Creatinine 3.7

My father is 61 years old. he is kind of obese and weighs around 98 Kilos. he is a diabetic patient for around 12-13 years and he did not use to take his medicines properly, and for 2-3 years he also has high blood pressure, so now he is suffering from chronic kidney disease.

As everyone else in the world we want to avoid dialysis forever. but our doctor has said that eventually patients have to go through dialysis which is, for me is a big worry.

So i am trying to gain as much knowledge as possible about kidney disease.

Below are his last test reports which were done on 06-October-2011

Test 1, COMPLETE BLOOD COUNT

HAEMOGLOBIN ................ 10.2 gm/dl
HAEMATOCRIT ................ 29.8%

R.B.C ............................. 3.36 *10E12/L
M.C.V ............................ 88.6 FL
M.C.H ............................ 30.4 PG
M.C.H.C ......................... 34.3%

W.B.C ............................ 10.5 *10E9/L
NEUTROPHILS ................ 69.9%
LYMPHOCYTES ............... 20.3%
EOSINOPHILS ................. 2.8%
MONOCYTES .................. 6.7%
BASOPHILS .................... 0.3%
AUTOMATED DIFF. COUNT DONE ON COULTER COUNTER
TOTAL CELLS COUNTED = 8000

PLATELETS.................... 150*19E9/L
MANUAL PLATELETS COUNT PERFORMED (LARGE IN SIZE)

TEST 2, U.C.E

(BLOOD) UREA NITROGEN ........... 72 MG/DL
RECHECKED

UREA = BUN * 2.14
PLEASE NOTE UPDATED REFERENCE NOTE, EFFECTIVE FROM 12/01/2010

SERUM CREATININE ................. 3.7 MG/DL
RECHECKED
PLEASE NOTE UPDATED REFERENCE NOTE, EFFECTIVE FROM 05/04/2010
S.SODIUM................................ 141 MMOI/L
PLEASE NOTE UPDATED REFERENCE NOTE, EFFECTIVE FROM 12/01/2010
S.POTASSIUM ......................... 4.1 MMOI/L
PLEASE NOTE UPDATED REFERENCE NOTE, EFFECTIVE FROM
S.CHLORIDE ............................ 113 MMOI/L
S. BICARBONATE ..................... 19.3 MMOI/L

ANION GAP ............................. 12.8

Now following are the questions i want to know (keeping in mind that proper control of blood sugar and blood pressure is being done):

1, how much the kidneys are working if we talk in terms of percentage?
2, Is their any urgency of dialysis rite now?
3, will taking blood level to normal help in decreasing the creatinine?
4, On how much creatinine and urea is dialysis really required?
5, Is their any sort of supplement/ Injection that will be helpful in maintaining blood level? rite now with iron supplements he is taking Epokine prefilled injection, r-HuEPO 4000 units / 0.4 ml, once a week.

I will be very very grateful to you even if you just answer my questions in 5 sentences .

Thanking you,
Furqan Ahmed.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-14-2011, 01:21 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Cora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB User
Re: Please help, Creatinine 3.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by fur89 View Post

Now following are the questions i want to know (keeping in mind that proper control of blood sugar and blood pressure is being done):

1, how much the kidneys are working if we talk in terms of percentage?
2, Is their any urgency of dialysis rite now?
3, will taking blood level to normal help in decreasing the creatinine?
4, On how much creatinine and urea is dialysis really required?
5, Is their any sort of supplement/ Injection that will be helpful in maintaining blood level? rite now with iron supplements he is taking Epokine prefilled injection, r-HuEPO 4000 units / 0.4 ml, once a week.

I will be very very grateful to you even if you just answer my questions in 5 sentences .

Thanking you,
Furqan Ahmed.

Hi there. As to what percentage of function he has left, you should check with the doc. They will be able to give you a much better idea. Given the lab values, it doesn't seem like dialysis is very imminent. I didn't go on until my creatinine was close to 10 (I did wait too long to start though). There is no way to reduce the creatinine once it begins to increase. Proper hydration will lower it somewhat, but basically the cr. is a measure of how well the kidneys are functioning. As the damage progresses, the cr. will continue to rise and will remain elevated even when dialysis is needed. There is no set point at which dialysis is started. A great deal of it has to do with how the patient is feeling. Some folks feel terrible at the cr. level you have now, and some folks like myself can go much higher. The decision is made between the patient and the doc and general fatigue, weakness, and nausea are often indicators to start. The epo, while slow to work, is excellent for bringing up blood levels and getting rid of anemia. He will feel better.

Hope this helps a bit.

Old 10-14-2011, 11:31 PM   #3
(male)

fur89 HB User

Thankyou very much Cora. rite now he is feeling ok but his creatinine reached to 5.0 last month because of some sort of infection. Thank God it has reduced rite now, but at 5 he had a vomitings once or twice a day. he is the kind who never gives a damn to what the doctor is saying so i have to bear all the tension and take him forcibly to hospitals and doctors. So if he goes on dialysis i'll have to take him to hospital thrice a week and it will be very hard for me to manage it with my work and studies. I study accounting and audit which requires a lot of time and effort so lets see what happens.

Thank you and good luck with your treatment too

Old 11-03-2011, 01:25 PM   #4
(male)

fur89 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cora1003 View Post
Hi there. As to what percentage of function he has left, you should check with the doc. They will be able to give you a much better idea. Given the lab values, it doesn't seem like dialysis is very imminent. I didn't go on until my creatinine was close to 10 (I did wait too long to start though). There is no way to reduce the creatinine once it begins to increase. Proper hydration will lower it somewhat, but basically the cr. is a measure of how well the kidneys are functioning. As the damage progresses, the cr. will continue to rise and will remain elevated even when dialysis is needed. There is no set point at which dialysis is started. A great deal of it has to do with how the patient is feeling. Some folks feel terrible at the cr. level you have now, and some folks like myself can go much higher. The decision is made between the patient and the doc and general fatigue, weakness, and nausea are often indicators to start. The epo, while slow to work, is excellent for bringing up blood levels and getting rid of anemia. He will feel better.

Hope this helps a bit.

Hey cora how are u doing? doctor told my dad today get fistula fixed. his creatinine jumped to 4.2 and BUN to 88. does that mean he is going for dialysis? when i asked he said not goin for it but preparing for it. m so confused and i sooo hate that man !

Old 11-03-2011, 01:36 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Cora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB User

It always takes time for fistula to heal and "mature", so they tend to put it in some time before it is needed. It does no harm, and can be kept for a very long time if his blood values level off. It is always good to be prepared though. I was not, went on on an emergency basis, and had a neck line (not fun).

Please keep us posted. Hope his values level off.

Closed Thread