It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Kidney Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2011, 08:18 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

dianajune HB Userdianajune HB Userdianajune HB User
Unhappy Impaired kidney function after abdominal surgery - HELP

I had emergency abdominal surgery three weeks ago today for what they thought was a perforated bowel. After they got in there, my surgeons found there was no perforation, but air bubbles in the "mesentery" or whatever they called it. They found an incarcerated hernia which was repaired, adhesions from previous operations were removed, and my appendix was taken out even though it didn't need to be. It was removed to prevent a future surgery as I've had so many.

So, here I am, three weeks post-op. Was discharged about 10 days ago. My staples were removed last week and I thought everything was going well. My incision looks good. No fever, no infection. Then I saw my primary care provider for a routine visit that was scheduled months before this emergency. She always has blood work drawn the week before these visits.

She informed me today that my kidney levels were slightly off, probably because of my surgery. She didn't say exactly what tests were run (I don't know if this was part of the comprehensive metabolic panel - CMP), although I know they checked my A1C (it was 6.5 as I'm a diabetic, for which I don't need meds), my thyroid was getting low again to she upped my medication for that. My vitamin D was low.

But what really got me was the kidney levels, whatever they were, are slightly off. She said that she looked at my hospital records from after the surgery and apparently they ran tests that showed my kidney levels fluctuated after the surgery. My surgeon never told me this. I don't know why, unless this is common and nothing to worry about.

Well, I am worrying. I always have been a worry-wart and am concerned. I've had numerous operations and this has never happened to me before. I said "do I have kidney trouble, will I need dialysis, blah blah blah" and she said "no." I have to go back in 5 weeks to have this checked again.

I gained about 30 pounds during my 8-day stay, most of which I lost already. It was most likely excess fluid because of the surgery, which was an open one (laparotomy). I have two pounds to go and I'll be back to my pre-operative weight.

Should I be worried? Has anyone else here gone through this? I hope that someone will respond as I am a nervous wreck. I'm not sure I'll make it to my next checkup with the surgeon (Wednesday) as I am having a nervous breakdown over this!

Please help me....someone....I can't take any more stress and can't go through another health crisis. I could use some advice right now. Really bad.

Last edited by dianajune; 11-07-2011 at 08:20 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-08-2011, 07:34 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

dianajune HB Userdianajune HB Userdianajune HB User
Unhappy Update....still in need of advice

I spoke with the surgeon's nurse this morning and was told that during my hospital stay, my creatinine level varied from I think she said 0.19 to 1.1 When they drew blood last week at my primary care provider's office, it was 1.1

What is the normal level for creatinine? Do I need to worry? I am overweight and am a diabetic. My a1c was 6.5, which my GP says is fine, but I thought 6.1 was the target. I'm not on meds for diabetes, but am trying to get it under control through diet and exercise (when I recover from the surgery I'll get around better).

I lost most of the weight I gained during my hospital stay, which was 29 pounds. As of yesterday I lost 27, so I only have two to go and I'll be back to my pre-operative weight.

So, if anyone out there can advise me, please please tell me if I should remain worried. I have had to put up with so many health problems I am out of my mind. I just can't take any more and am begging someone out there to respond to my post. I am more worried than I can express. I can barely function.

Last edited by dianajune; 11-08-2011 at 07:38 AM. Reason: typo

Closed Thread