It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Kidney Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-21-2011, 09:19 AM   #1
(female)

wipedout HB User
Question GFR questions - please respond

Hi everyone! My GFR had always been normal, but then it recently dropped down 40 points (within 3 months' time) to 53. I have been feeling weak, tired, with very dry eyes at night requiring eye drops or eye ointment, and have had either nighttime sweating or enuresis (not sure which it is) for about a year which no one can explain. Recently, after having a can of reduced-sodium tomato soup, the next morning my face was really puffy. Normally, I would have no problems after having such soup. Within the past couple of months I stopped having my "green smoothie" (avocado, banana, spinach, kiwi) because I discovered I felt better on the days when I didn't drink it. I also gave up my orange smoothie (oranges and banana) for the same reason. I don't salt my food. My blood pressure has always been low (90/60) except in the past couple of years it is sometimes 140/95 (by supermarket machine). I have had to go on oxygen at night (in addition to CPAP) due to O2 saturations in the 70-80% range. My question: Someone told me that eating a meat meal the night before GFR testing, as I did, could have caused my lower GFR score of 53. Could that be true? What is your impression of all this?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-09-2012, 11:17 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

flowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB Userflowergirl2day HB User
Re: GFR questions - please respond

Hi wipedout!

Quote:
Someone told me that eating a meat meal the night before GFR testing, as I did, could have caused my lower GFR score of 53. Could that be true? What is your impression of all this?

you say the drop in your GFR happened over a 3 month period. A single GFR test is not very helpful. Have you had repeat tests done since? It needs to be determined what the overall GFR trend is. Blood levels of creatinine are used in a formula to calculate the estimated kidney function. It is not a precise test. Other values need to be considered as well in estimating the overall kidney function.

Creatinine is a waste product created by breaking down the dietary protein we eat. Increased muscle tissue from vigorous exercising,damaged or injured muscles and certain prescription drugs may also elevate creatinine level. If you ate large amounts of protein (meat) up to two days before your test, it may have been reflected in your creatinine levels, and, therefore, the GFR.

There are certain factors and conditions that will cause a significant drop in a GFR over a relatively short period of time, acute or serious infections, dehydration when a person is quite ill, and other health issues. If repeat tests show lowered GFR, thorough investigation should be performed and, based on the results, a nephrologist may need to be consulted. I am rather surprised that your doctor has not followed up on this.

Extreme salt sensitivity is an issue for me. I can see and feel the physical consequences of eating something salty within minutes of consuming the offending item. It is always a good idea to avoid salty foods, whenever possible. This helps us maintain a better blood pressure control as well.

Good luck and try not to worry too much. Discus your lab results and concerns with your doctor and remember to ask for another blood test.

flowergirl.

Last edited by flowergirl2day; 01-09-2012 at 11:20 PM.

The following user gives a hug of support to flowergirl2day:
wipedout (01-12-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to flowergirl2day For This Useful Post:
wipedout (01-12-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-12-2012, 08:11 PM   #3
(female)

wipedout HB User
Re: GFR questions - please respond

Thanks, FlowerGirl, for your response! I had some new lab tests done but have not gotten the results back yet. Meanwhile, I know something is wrong because if I eat much protein or potassium/phosphorus-rich foods I feel worse. More protein consumption causes more enuresis or sweat at night for me. My urine is often lighter in color than would be expected and sometimes has tiny bubbles. A few times lately I have felt nauseous. I am fighting advanced Lyme disease and have to wonder if the Lyme could now be affecting my kidneys. I have read that Lyme disease in dogs often does cause kidney failure. . . (Not that I'm a dog - Lol!)

Last edited by wipedout; 01-12-2012 at 08:13 PM. Reason: to add humor

Closed Thread