It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Kidney Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2012, 04:43 AM   #1
(male)

kidneyth HB User
Test results and feeling

Hi all,

last year I was told that I my kidneys are not as good as they should be. Currently the test results are like that:

Both kidneys are too small, right side around 7.8x3.0cm, left side 9.0x5.0cm

eGFR currently 12.00
BUN currently 58
Creatinine 5.6
Hemoglobin 9.9
Potassium between 4 and 5.5
Blood pressure 135 / 90
No overweight, 180cm tall, 70kg

My doctor calls it end stage kidney disease and keep telling me that I need dialysis right now and this is where the problem starts.

I don't have any symptoms, I don't have any pain or anything else. If you look at the test result and at myself, you think that these are two totally different persons. Urin is normal in color and volume, I'm not feeling weak at all and I don't have any of the symptoms I should have according to what I've read on the Internet.

I don't take any medication and I don 't make any diet.

Does anyone has an idea why I feel so good while my test result are so bad? None of my doctors has an answer to this questions and one of them understand why it is like it is.

Last edited by kidneyth; 03-11-2012 at 04:48 AM.

Old 03-11-2012, 05:37 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Cora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB User
Re: Test results and feeling

There is a very good reason why you feel ok. I felt fine at that level too. The problem is that kidney disease is typically very slow progressing and you get used to not feeling 100%. Unfortunately, you will begin to get tired and have a tendency to feel sick sometimes. I am not a doc, but I can tell you that a lot of people don't go on dialysis at your level. I left it a little longer than most (probably too long) and didn't go on dialysis until my creatinine was at 10. What I would do now is start preparing. You don't want to go on with an emergency basis the way I did.

Personally I would go on peritoneal dialysis. It allows more freedom of time and diet. Many docs in the US don't recommend it, but it is very commonly used here in Canada (invented here too).

I am now 9 years post transplant and am doing well. I thought I was feeling well while on dialysis too but once I had the transplant, boy did I turn out to be wrong. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-11-2012, 05:59 AM   #3
(male)

kidneyth HB User

My Creatinine level is always changing between 5 and 2. Until now it goes up and down probably also depends on the food. I have a kidney problem since I was young, so I think that my body adjust somehow to the situation already.

I do checkups now once a month but the results doesn't change much. Haven't been sick, beside a flu last year, for ages.

I don't really want prepare for dialysis without a single symptom.

Old 03-11-2012, 03:21 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Cora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB User

The problem is that once your kidney function is impaired, you are potentially one illness away from total failure. A bad cold or flu or pneumonia could send you to the ER and they will have to put you on, on an emergency basis. That's the route I went and it wasn't fun. At the very least you should investigate the different modalities and decide what you want to do. You can do the preparation far in advance and it will not affect you in any way other than a very short recovery time from the minor surgery for either a fistula or a pd catheter implant. After that there is nothing to do but wait. I'm sorry to say that you have significant impairment and it is not going to get better. You don't want to crash the way I did (went to a conference 3 time zones from home, got double pneumonia, had a heart attack, and had a femoral line put in and spent 2 weeks in the hospital recovering).

Reply Reply