It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Kidney Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2012, 08:00 PM   #1
(female)

Bradie K HB User
Possible Kidney Infection...?

For the past couple days I've been noticing my urine is becoming cloudy and my back has been pretty sore, primarily on my left side. I'm thinking that the pain is just a pulled muscle of some sort, due to all of the strain that has been put on it from soccer, horseback riding, lacrosse, and my other activities, in addition to my not-so-remarkable posture. But when I looked up on the subject online, a few different sites had said that back pain could be something more serious, in some cases dealing with the kidneys. I had a kidney infection when I was younger and I can only remember blood in my urine and extreme back pain as far as my symptoms went. My pain is nothing like I remember it being; it's only a dull achy pain that comes around every once in a while. Lately I've had an upset stomach, but not nausea like most kidney infection sufferers experience. What I'm asking is your opinion on what this could be, and if I should go to the doctor. I'm hesitant to tell my parents of my predicament because they have quite a bit on their plates right now, and they also have a tendency to think I'm exaggerating my pain. Please don't lecture me if my choices have been poor up to this point, I'm just a little scared and I really don't want my parents to be disappointed in me. Thank you in advance.

Old 09-14-2012, 04:14 PM   #2
(female)

Forest Cheetah HB User
Re: Possible Kidney Infection...?

You should go to the doctors. I didn't have nausea until later on and you don't want to wait till then...trust me. They will do a simple urine test and give you antibiotics. There doesn't need to be burning for a kidney infection.

There doesn't need to be fever. These are all the things that will come if you don't get it treated fast enough, and can be quiet serious. Also there doesn't need to be blood in the urine.

I had none of the symptoms and had a kidney infection and am now fighting it with antibiotics and am really sick. I waited a week too long.

It's so not worth it, trust me on that one. Cloudy urine, minor pain can be an infection. My urine wasn't even cloudy except one time. I then started feeling nausea after waiting too long..and just got more and more sick. It's scary.

Go see a doc

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-14-2012, 07:39 PM   #3
(female)

Trinity12 HB UserTrinity12 HB User

I agree you should go to the doctor. I went to the ER Friday with severe pain on my left side. Tests showed I have a UTI. The antibiotic that I took didn't work so I went back in even more pain. They say it's just a bladder infection but my pain has been in my back as well as my side. They said I have a kidney stone as well. I have only had cloudy urine a couple of times and no blood. The pain has improved but hasn't gone away. I'm going to finish the antibiotic and go to the doctor if the pain is still there. Don't wait trust me, better to be safe than sorry.

Old 09-15-2012, 12:10 PM   #4
(female)

Forest Cheetah HB User

Trinity12, what antibiotic did they try you on first? And which are you on now? Just curious as mine might not be working. Although it's only been 24 hours. I'm on ciprofloxacin. Hard to get down these pills!

Old 09-15-2012, 12:40 PM   #5
(female)

They first tried Sulfatrim for three days, it didn't work. I'm on ciprofloxacin too. My pain is no where near as bad as it was. I'm unsure whether the pain I have now is still related to the infection or if it's because of the kidney stone. I have three more days of cipro. If the pain is still there then I'll have to call my doctor. I'm on naproxen too but I am almost out of it. I've been taking that and tylenol 3. Yes it is hard to get down those pills! My pharmacist told me to wait to eat dairy or take antacids two hours after taking cipro because they bind with it decreasing its effectiveness. If you do drink milk or take antacids you have to wait six hours before taking it. Hang in there and I hope you feel better!

Old 09-15-2012, 09:27 PM   #6
(female)

Forest Cheetah HB User

Yeah it's really hard to tell if it's getting better or not. Did the doctor tell you to do the cipro for the full 7 days? My doctor told me to do it for 2 days and if it wasn't getting better to go back in. Also she told me to stay out of the sun while taking cipro. The thing is I don't know if it's getting better.

The knife like pains in my bladder seem to be less frequent but my right kidney seems to be in pain when it wasn't previously (or if it was, it was barely noticable). It's not horrific pain but just uncomfortable. I also still have nausea a lot. No vommiting, but it's like the need to get something out of my system (either through puking, doing 1 or 2 or just anything...even passing gas) but nothing will rid me of the feeling of something toxic inside of my lower system. It's an odd feeling.

I am urinating just fine, which makes it even more mysterious. I think I might go back to the doctors tomorrow just for an update to see what she says.

I hope you feel better too!

Old 09-16-2012, 10:48 AM   #7
(female)

The ER doctor said to do the cipro for the full 7 days but he also said to follow up with my family doctor if it doesn't get better. My family doctor is really hard to get a hold of. I hope that your doctor finds out what's going on. I started out with just a pain near my hip when I got sulfratrim. When I went back to the ER the pain not only was near my hip but also on my entire left side and in my back. The burning when I peed progressed when I first began taking cirpo and also felt pain on the other side as well. The worst pain has been on the left side. The pain near my hip never really completely went away. I had diarrhea a few days, felt feverish and nauseous once in a while. Today the pain in my hip is back full force and it's moving into my back! The frequent urination is still going on. I have four cirpo left. Either this is kidney stone related or the infection still is holding on! I definitely need to go to my doctor soon.I will keep these thread updated. Take care Cheetah!

Old 09-16-2012, 11:49 AM   #8
(female)

Forest Cheetah HB User

I get pain near my hip too! That's strange. I get it on the right side and it throbs. The only difference is I've been getting that since I was 15 and I'm now 26. The UTI is new to me though. Mine started in the middle of my abdomen and worked it's way up both sides..but mostly on the right.

I hope you feel better soon. Make sure if you ever get a fever to go to the ER. If it gets serious I wouldn't wait the full 7 days.

I went to the ER last night because my pain was radiating. My nausea isn't as bad now though...

It was so bad 2 days ago and now it's still there, but not as much. The pain is still there though! I got a ultrasound and they didn't see kidney stones.

Did they actually see kidney stones in an ultrasound for you?

If the burning doesn't go away soon I would go back there. I'd even demand to stay there until I got better, even if I had to sleep there with IV's in me and eat hospital food. If it doesn't get better soon I would go back there.

My doc never told me to go to ER and to just take the meds, but the pain presisted so I went at 2am in the morning. I am worried about you because you are having fevers and lots of burning. What is your temp?

I had slight fevers a few weeks back when I first developed my uti.

Feel better soon!

Old 09-17-2012, 10:09 AM   #9
(female)

I'm sorry to hear that you had to go to the ER! Did they give you any more pain medications at the ER?
My family doctor can get me in on Wednesday but all she can do is send my urine to get cultured and use a dip stick in her office. They said it would take a day to find out the results of the culture. If they don't find anything I'm not sure what can be done.

I had the burning when I peed for a while but that went away. Now, I sometimes feel an ache on the left side when I pee or if I don't go pee right away. I always feel a sense of pressure in my bladder and on my left side. I've never really had a temperature. When I feel feverish my temperature is usually down. (97.6-97.9) The pain in my back is there when I wake up. It is right under my ribs and moves around my left side to my hip. The tylenol 3 only help for four hours before they wear off. I'm so tired of being in pain! Does your back ever get so sore that it hurts to lightly touch or have any pressure on it whatsoever? My back gets like that.

Yes they did see a kidney stone on the left side when they did the ultrasound. I've had kidney stones on both sides because of my high calcium.(Due to overactive parathyroids. There are four parathyroids. I had the two on the left removed) I've had surgeries to break up kidney stones and to remove them. The last time I was in my pain on the right, the stone didn't show up in an x-ray. The urologist went all the way up inside that kidney and removed the fragment. I'm still unsure whether the kidney stone or the infection is causing all of this pain. I've read that struvite kidney stones are caused by an UTI.

I hope you feel better too! ((hugs))

Old 09-17-2012, 07:58 PM   #10
(female)

Forest Cheetah HB User

I keep getting severe pain in my upper back. It doesn't go away no matter which way I lay down. Now I'm worried that it's tendonitis from the cipro I'm taking. I read it can cause that. I actually stopped taking it. I was going to go back to the doctor today to ask questions but my period started and I couldn't leave the bed. Plus my back is just killing me.

I feel like I'm in quite the pickle right now. I don't know what's scarier...stopping the meds or taking the meds. If I stop my UTI might get worse, but if I continue my back might get worse. I've never had upper back pain before. It was there for 4 days now and it's worse now.

My lower back hurts too. It feels like my whole spine hurts. Another thing that happened was when they did a blood test on me, it made my vein swell up so much that I can't barely use my right arm.

I miss feeling better

I feel aches on the right side when I pee sometimes. I am going to go lay down for now since my back is killing. I hope my period pains die down tomorrow so I can go back to the doctors.

Feel better soon (hugs)!

Old 09-18-2012, 03:01 AM   #11
(female)

Oh no Cheetah! That sounds horrible! You definitely need to go back to see the doctor!

My pain has got worse too! When I pee in the morning especially or if I wait at all I get really sharp pains on both sides! Last night I kept waking up having to go pee. This morning I was woken up by having to go pee and it was excruciating! I felt sharp pain in both kidneys! Now, I feel intense cramping pain on both sides! I'm on my last cipro today! I'm not sure if I haven't been taking it properly by not waiting long enough to eat something with dairy! All I know is that the pain is becoming worse like the times that I went to the ER! I feel horrible! Something has to be done for the both of us! We shouldn't have to suffer like this!

I hope that you feel better! (hugs)

Old 09-18-2012, 06:39 AM   #12
(female)

Forest Cheetah HB User

My peeing hurts in the morning the most too. How far up does your pain go? Mine is all on the right side. The weird thing is sometimes the pain is pretty low down for me. It's confusing.

I have knife pains in the middle...pain in the lower right side when I pee, and then pain that goes higher up but more like a dull pain.

Does yours go all the way up? I'm not sure if I have a temperature right now. It says 37.5 C ..(and that was for rectal...) and then it says 36 C for under my arm. I got the chills last night though. I feel soooo pukey though. 27/4

The hospital gave me gravol but I was dissappointed because that just masks the symptoms. 3 doctors said I have white blood cells in my urine..but none even tell me what's wrong. My back is the worse right now.

I think I'll go back to the doctors tomorrow. They keep telling me maybe I am just constipated. But how come I feel so ill then..with white blood cells in my pee? I've been constipated before and never felt like this ..it hurts to pee.

I am getting major depression over this

I hope we both get better soon. I think you should go back since you are on your last cipro. We both need to go back. It's really scary, but we need to stay strong!

Forgot to mention, I get burning in my actual kidney area on both sides I got it way before I even knew I had a problem though..like 2 months back. Then 1 month later I got the stabbing below my belly button..then 2 weeks after that the nausea. That's when I finally went to the doctors.

Last edited by Forest Cheetah; 09-18-2012 at 10:03 AM.

Old 09-18-2012, 12:23 PM   #13
(female)

My pain stays in my lower back and wraps around my sides! I pee constantly and it hurts more when I pee! I have been constipated for a while but have never had pain like this! I went to the ER and they now say the scan didn't show a kidney stone even though they said it showed one before! The doctor said the pain must be from constipation since they cultured my urine and nothing grew! I know I'm constipated but then why does it hurt to pee? The doctor smirked when she told me to eat some all bran with my cereal or yogurt! What is wrong with doctors? No doctor takes me seriously! I'm still in pain and I will try the all bran. At least that will help with the constipation and maybe the pain will go away on its own!

Yes, we do need to stay strong! I am feeling depressed over this too! I hope you can get some answers!

Old 09-18-2012, 01:54 PM   #14
(female)

Forest Cheetah HB User

I'm glad nothing is growing in your urine...but if it's still hurting to pee then it's really confusing. Does it burn right were the hole is (lol sorry I'm just trying to help!) or is it up more? I'm ready to drink a bucket of prune juice to prove to the doctors I'm not constipated.

Yeah the doctors don't know what they are doing it seems.

So far these have been my doctor visits.

Doctor number 1: "Oh it doesn't look like you have a UTI based on your urine sample but take Macrobid anyway just in case." Macrobid was the med he gave me. Then he said, "Hmm, I don't know what you have to be honest. Do you have any idea what it could be?"

I felt like saying "No doctor, that's why I'm here!" He had no idea what to tell me.

Doctor #2 (a month later). She was nice and said, "Oh so you do have a UTI like last month." I then was confused because last month the other doctor said I didn't. I told the current doctor this and she said "Oh but bacteria and white blood cells did appear in your urine last month, the doctor must have read it wrong. You still have some sort of weird bacteria in your urine!"

...weird bacteria? I don't think they cultured it. They just called it weird bacteria and gave me the cipro.

Then the hospital visit was confusing too. I got a doctor who said "this just doesn't add up, you must have something wrong with your gallbladder. You don't have a UTI".

Then by the end of the visit he said "Nevermind there are white blood cells in your urine so you MIGHT have an infection, but you're probably constipated."

My brain feels constipated. That's why I didn't go back to the doctors in 2 days because I just need a break. I will go tomorrow again since I still feel sick.

Good luck Trinity! Maybe I should eat all bran too!

Last edited by Forest Cheetah; 09-18-2012 at 01:56 PM.

Old 09-18-2012, 02:03 PM   #15
(female)

Angry Re: Possible Kidney Infection...?

Wow Cheetah, it sounds like you've been getting the run around too! I read that a urine culture takes 24-48 hours to be able to be read and 72 hours to be finalized. So unless they used the older specimens they couldn't have cultured the specimen I gave today! Yes, I did have burning pain near the opening but that went away.

The ER doctor today said she felt stool during my abdominal exam. I asked her if constipation could cause all of this pain and she said it's possible! She didn't take me seriously at all! My family doctor is no better!

Maybe you should try all bran too. I'm trying it and if the pain goes away then she was right. If not then I don't know what's going on. I hope you can get some answers! I'm so tired of doctors!!!!

Last edited by Trinity12; 09-19-2012 at 05:58 AM. Reason: typo

Reply Reply

Tags
kidney, pain