It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Kidney Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-21-2012, 06:26 AM   #1
(male)

Confusedinca HB User
Help with results - no symptoms

Ok long story short. I went in for my normal yearly checkup. My doctor got abnormal reading for my protein and blood in my urine. The blood was an error thank god and six urine draws since then haven't confirmed that, but the protein in the urine was not an error. It has persisted and is now a condition I have called persistent proteinuria. After multiple tests, my readings had gone from 300units(forgot the unit measurements) to 150 to 50 to now the last two times trace. I'd like to add that I suffer from bad teeth, and at the time this began I was taking antibiotics at two separate times. I also at one point was taking Motrin and Tylenol for pain at regular intervals for about 7-10 days. A month ago I went in and met with a nephrologist who drew more blood, more urine, ordered a kidney and bladder ultrasound. Ultrasound was 100% normal. Leading up to the test I had taken no Tylenol or Motrin for about two full weeks. I gave up red bulls and worked on keeping my blood pressure low(I'm clinically obese based on bmi). I got six or seven test results. Of about 100 readings 98 came out within normal range or negative resulted. Two flags appeared, serum c3 which is normal for adults between 90-180 mg/dl and gamma globulin which has a normal range of 0.6-1.6 g/dl was 1.9 for me. researching online it didn't sound like lupus but did show as a condition of renal failure or cancer. I'm hoping at best it was a temp condition that has passed or is passing through my system. I'm hoping at worst that if it is something really bad that it's early. My blood pressure is down to around 130/86 so still high. Maybe it's the culprit. Anyone have any idea?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-21-2012, 06:32 AM   #2
(male)

Confusedinca HB User
Re: Help with results - no symptoms

One thing I should also mention. I have zero symptoms in day to day life. No discomfort in my kidneys. No abnormal stomach(had ibs since I was six) issues. No unusual pain. Slightly foamy urine although I don't really know if it's abnormal. I wouldn't have even gotten further testing except it was my annual well check

Old 06-21-2012, 01:42 PM   #3
(male)

Confusedinca HB User

These boards don't seem especially talkative. Should I be reposting in a busier thread?

Old 06-21-2012, 03:27 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Cora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB User

Sorry, but there is not much I can tell you. Some folks just seem to have proteinuria or chronic trace blood. I have seen a couple of posts like this and there seems to be no answers. I would make sure to get checked periodically and avoid ibuprofen (hard on kidneys). As long as things don't change, I wouldn't worry.

Old 06-23-2012, 10:23 AM   #5
(male)

vanbill HB User

Confusedinca:

First in regard to the proteins in the urine. I assume the multiple tests conducted were "spot" checks sometimes refered to as random tests which are urine samples drawn at the doctors office. These tests can show protein in the urine but they are only a transient snapshot. Usually a 24/Hr urine assay is ordered to determine a more accurate protein reading in the urine over a 24 Hr. period. This test will show 24 hr urine creatinine values along with total protein excreted over a 24 hr. period. The normal range for 24/hr protein using this protocol is 30-150 mg/24Hr subject to lab variations. Have you had a 24 Hr urine test?

Second you state that you have a Gamma Globulin reading of 1.9 g/dL and yes the normal range is .7-1.6 g/dL. This means you must of had a blood serum protein Electrophoresis test, refered to as a SPEP test. A urine test (24Hr) called a UPEP test is also used at times. The SPEP test will show Total Protein, Albumin, Alpha-1, Alpha-2, Beta, and Gamma globulins. A number of things may show up with increased gamma globulins including, but not limited to Multiple Myeloma, rheumatoid arthritis, SLE, Waldenstroms disease,liver disease and Acute Infection. To eliminate the possibility of a M protein being present in the SPEP test which could indicate Multiple Myeloma a "Immunofixation" test should be conducted along with the SPEP . This must be specified by the Doctor because it a adjunct SPEP test.

Hope this helps:
Vanbill

Old 07-11-2012, 06:13 PM   #6
(female)

troads HB User

I agree with the post above, a 24hr urine will show much more. But, I have been having protein and blood (up and down) in my urine for several years now without any symptoms, and just recently because of a sudden onset of edema the doctors did more tests and turns out I have a kidney disease confirmed by a kidney biopsy.Also, I would say that I said I had no symptoms, but I am still slowly seeing that some normal everyday or every so often "feelings" or physical symtoms were related to my condition. Also, I would recommend maybe an ANA to your doctor or ANA titer, and continue follow ups, like I said I would not be where I am at right now if I just paided more attention to my blood and urine test results and pushed for follow ups. Good luck.

Reply Reply