It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Kidney Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2012, 08:14 AM   #1
(male)

Tony1970 HB User
Can a 9mm kidney stone stay in the kidney without ever needing to come out?

Hello people, I got my first kidney stone about a month ago and went to the ER because of pain and had a CT Scan done and the doctor told me that I had a 5mm stone and he prescribed medication. He never gave me anything to capture the stone as it passes. I did feel some pain while urinating but not a lot but I was never sure if it passed or not but when I saw my Urologist he told me that it most likely passed and because I haven't felt pain for about a 1 1/2 week but he also told me that the stone was actually 3mm and not 5mm and he also told me that there was also a 9mm stone in one of my kidneys but I can't remember if it was the left or right one. But he told me that since it is in my kidney and not at the moment causing me problems that it was ok to just leave it there, but he did mention that if I needed to, he could do at least 3 options to remove it which most of you most likely know about. My question is can a 9mm kidney stone stay in my kidney and never need to be removed? Or will it eventually need to come out? Especially because I've read that kidney stones do grow larger. Any experienced or knowledgeable people regarding this question and subject would greatly be appreciated. Yes I do know to try to eat right and drink lots of fluids and especially water. But I mainly just want to know the answer to my question. Thank you in advance for your answers.

Old 09-29-2012, 12:33 PM   #2
(female)

stoney932 HB User
Re: Can a 9mm kidney stone stay in the kidney without ever needing to come out?

Hi Tony1970

Do you still have your large stone or did you have it removed? 5 years ago I had lithotripsy on one of my kidneys because I had several large stones that were too big to pass on their own. Lithotripsy didnt get rid of all of them, when it was all said and done, I still had 3 large stones in my kidney. My urologist said that the stones could not be blasted but we would keep an eye on them. So every 6 months I had to have an xray done to check the stones. I asked my dr why we didnt do something to get rid of them and he said that surgery was complicated and I was better off to leave the stones alone as long as they werent bothering me. Well I got tired of taking time off of work, and paying the hefty bill for x-ray & appointments, so I quit going to the dr. A couple months ago after I finally confessed to my family dr that I hadnt been seeing anyone for my kidney stones, my dr had me get an x-ray. Unfortunately my three stones have grown together and are basically the size of my kidney. I swear I had no idea they could grow! I never had pain except for twinges once in a while. Now I am going to see a dr and hope that we can save the kidney and get rid of my stone. I tell you this because I would not want this to happen to you. Please make sure you get that stone checked regularly. Good luck to you

The Following User Says Thank You to stoney932 For This Useful Post:
Tony1970 (11-27-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-29-2012, 04:56 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

DebR HB User

Tony1970,
Trust me when I tell you that you really do not want that kidney stone rolling around inside your kidney causing havoc indefinitely. Get your medical records from the hospital and that no good urologist and find a new urologist and then after you get that kidney stone out of there get a good nephrologist. The way I found my good doctors was by talking to the nurses when I was in the hospital. They know whose good and who's not so good. They are not suppose to refer patients and are worried about getting in trouble.

The Following User Says Thank You to DebR For This Useful Post:
Tony1970 (11-27-2012)
Old 11-27-2012, 07:50 AM   #4
(male)

Rickbs HB User

Yes it can stay there and live normally. But it can grow that will cause problems with your kidney. It can also go to ureter but big enough to block the the ureter and cannot pass by it self.

Reply Reply