It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Kidney Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-05-2012, 09:49 AM   #1
(female)

puella2012 HB User
Angry Kidney Disease???? Need support!

Hi guys,
I was wondering if I could get any insight from people on the board here. Any help would be appreciated. My blood and urine results are below. But first some background:

I am 33 yo female and 5'1" in height and 157.5 pounds. Not African American. I just recently got on Weight Watchers. Probably my highest weight was 169 pounds. I have lost more than 10 pounds since last month.

I have had high blood pressure before for probably several years and left it unmonitored because I was neglectful and stupid about my health. I thought I could get it down naturally but I think it's biting me in the *** in the end. I have been taking blood measure medication Benicar for about a year. My blood measure is now well controlled. I have had blood pressure readings as low as 90/80 now.

Here are my blood and urine results:

7/20/2011

BUN 16
Creatinine, Serum 1.08 Abnormal
eGFR 68
BUN/Creatinine Ratio 15

Protein in Urine: 4+

10/12/2011

BUN 19
Creatinine, Serum .95
eGFR 80
BUN/Creatinine Ratio 20

Protein in Urine: 4+

1/25/2012

BUN 24 Abnormal
Creatinine, Serum 1.18 Abnormal
eGFR 61
BUN/Creatinine Ratio 20

Protein in Urine: 2+

5/19/2012

BUN 31 Abnormal
Creatinine, Serum 1.11 Abnormal
eGFR 65
BUN/Creatinine Ratio 28 Abnormal

Protein in urine: 1+

All recent MRIs and ultrasounds show my kidneys look normal and have normal size and configuration. Keep in mind I don't usually drink a lot of water before I go and get my tests taken except for the October results. I also had a high protein diet (I dropped that). For the most recent results in May, I came back from vacation a week ago and then had BBQ the day before the May test was taken.

Anyway, to make a long story short, my nephrologist looked over my tests and said I most likely have Stage 2 Kidney Disease. Needless to say I started to freak out. Especially since I want to get pregnant next year.

I got a 24 hour urine collection done and getting my ultrasound results tomorrow.

Any insight would be great.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-05-2012, 01:45 PM   #2
(female)

puella2012 HB User
Re: Kidney Disease???? Need support!

For what it's worth, I was suffering from a painful dermoid ovarian cyst last year. It was finally taken out in November last year.

I really hope I don't have kidney disease! I would love to have a baby or two in the very near future.

I am hanging on hope that perhaps that most of tests are showing an abnormal reading because I was either dehydrated or ate too much meat the day before or something.

Old 07-05-2012, 02:48 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Cora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB User

The cr. levels may be elevated by dehydration - but eating protein will mainly affect BUN, not the creatinine. I would make sure to be well hydrated before the next test. From the numbers that you posted, there is evidence of some damage. Especially if you are in the early stages, some nephrologists specialize in helping with pregnancy, so there is hope.

Old 07-05-2012, 03:41 PM   #4
(female)

puella2012 HB User

Thanks Cora.

I was also alarmed by my low eGFR but I understand that could be due to some dehydration.

I have changed my habits and drink one gallon of water a day.

I think there is damage to my kidneys. I just don't know how much. My nephrologist told me not to freak out. My main doc said I should be okay with having a healthy pregnancy.

If I do have damage, I hope I can stay stable during and after my pregnancy.

I will keep you updated on the ultrasound results.

Old 07-05-2012, 10:35 PM   #5
(male)

Deanne1962 HB UserDeanne1962 HB UserDeanne1962 HB User

This might be a stupiid question, but do you have any suspicion of the cause of your kidney damage? I am assuming that you are not diabetic, do not presently have high BP (high blood pressure can take years to leave permanent damage), or, that you have a family history of kidney disease?
Although the constant rise in your BUN might not be dispositive, in and of itself, the measure still might show an increase in blood urea, which can be indicative of a condition called azotemia(sp), an increased accumalation of nitrogenous waste in the blood stream.
Your high protein 4+ might also be some reason for concern. An Ultrasound is not necessarily a way to screen out all forms of damage to kidneys, especially if this damage is at its early stages.
I am wondering why you would have remembered not drinking enough and eating lots of meat before your test? Was this, perhaps, to skew lab results? It is likely, that you have succumbed to kidney damage, but whether this might be progressive, and how aggressively so, I would have no way to venture a guess.

Last edited by Deanne1962; 07-05-2012 at 10:42 PM.

Old 07-06-2012, 06:59 AM   #6
(female)

puella2012 HB User

Hi

I have a feeling it's my years of unmonitored high blood pressure that's affecting me. My father died young of a heart attack at the age of 36 and my mother told me that he was spilling protein into his urine too prior to death.

I don't presently have high blood pressure.

I remember all those times I didn't drink enough because I remember having trouble making urine because I didn't drink enough. I didn't do it to skew the tests. I just didn't know any better.

Anyway my ultrasound results will be in a few hours. Will keep you guys updated. Thanks again!

Old 07-06-2012, 03:14 PM   #7
(female)

puella2012 HB User

Well I got my ultrasound results, which shows small 3 mm kidney stones in both of my kidneys. This puzzles me because I have been drinking lots of water lately and cut down my salt and protein intake recently.

So my doctor is going to have me go through x-rays of my kidneys and bladder and referred me to a urologist. I am already seeing my nephrologist in a few weeks.

I am not sure if there's a link between the stones and my abnormal test results and he didn't know either.

Old 07-08-2012, 03:22 PM   #8
(male)

Rickyrocker HB User

I can say from my perspective you are very early into kidney disease. I don't know where you are but if you can go to a teaching and research hospital if at all possible. if younger at an HCA hospital get second opinions. My serum creatine is 3.3 and he is sure I am a few years away from dialisys. Lose weight, eat well , exercises and stay hydrated. One half ounce of water for each lb of weight

Old 07-24-2012, 09:17 AM   #9
(female)

veggieking HB User

Hi,

I'm in a similar boat. Newly diagnosed, in early stages, and same age. Hang in there, and lets see if we can start figuring out how to best take care of ourselves. I've heard several stories of women who have given birth with this disease...so while I don't have personal experience, I do want to encourage you.

Old 08-08-2012, 10:52 PM   #10
(female)

puella2012 HB User

Hi guys,

Here's an update.

Right before I went on my diet, I took a blood test and a 24 hour urine collection test with my nephrologist on 6/14/2012.

My spot blood/urine test showed on 6/14/2012:
Creatinine Serum 1.08
eGFR 68
BUN 20
BUN/Creatinine Ratio 19
Protein Negative
Microalbumin in Urine 64.3

24-hour urine test results on 6/18/2012:
Creatinine Serum 1.08
eGFR 68
Creatinine Clearance 63

Protein over 24 hours was NORMAL

After that round of testing, I went on a mostly vegetarian diet with occasional forays to fish/eggs/chicken. I joined Weight Watchers and lost 10 pounds.

Thus, my spot blood/urine test results in July were dramatic!!!

BUN 9
BUN/Creatinine Ratio 8
Protein Negative

Also my cholesterol was great. A1C was down.

Only thing that made me upset was that my creatinine serum was essentially unchanged at 1.12. eGFR at 65.

But my doctor was pleased.

My nephrologist said my prognosis was good as well and the likelihood of me ever needing dialysis was low. And as for getting pregnant, he said, "Knock yourself out!" LOL.

Since that time, I slacked off for a month. I had guests over and gained five of those 10 pounds lost. I ate meat! I ate beans! I ate eggs!

Anyway, now it's August. I really want to get serious again and stick with it. I am planning on going on a strict vegan diet that will be low protein and gluten free. I just ordered two months worth of Essential Amino Acid supplements from Calwood Nutrionals. I am researching what foods I can eat and not eat.

I was heartened that most of my levels went down after just a month of good eating and exercise. Now I want to tackle on losing 40 plus pounds, lower my creatinine levels, and get in the best shape of my life before I get pregnant next year.

Anyway, thanks everybody for all your help. For those in the early stages of kidney disease, now is the time to turn it around!

Old 08-08-2012, 11:27 PM   #11
(female)

veggieking HB User

Puella,

I'm SOOOOO proud of you!!! That is great news! I'm glad to hear that you were able to change your diet and see a major difference! I'm learning to take the best care of myself possible.... and to not (always) give into the cravings!!

VK

Quote:
Originally Posted by puella2012 View Post
Hi guys,

Here's an update.

Right before I went on my diet, I took a blood test and a 24 hour urine collection test with my nephrologist on 6/14/2012.

My spot blood/urine test showed on 6/14/2012:
Creatinine Serum 1.08
eGFR 68
BUN 20
BUN/Creatinine Ratio 19
Protein Negative
Microalbumin in Urine 64.3

24-hour urine test results on 6/18/2012:
Creatinine Serum 1.08
eGFR 68
Creatinine Clearance 63

Protein over 24 hours was NORMAL

After that round of testing, I went on a mostly vegetarian diet with occasional forays to fish/eggs/chicken. I joined Weight Watchers and lost 10 pounds.

Thus, my spot blood/urine test results in July were dramatic!!!

BUN 9
BUN/Creatinine Ratio 8
Protein Negative

Also my cholesterol was great. A1C was down.

Only thing that made me upset was that my creatinine serum was essentially unchanged at 1.12. eGFR at 65.

But my doctor was pleased.

My nephrologist said my prognosis was good as well and the likelihood of me ever needing dialysis was low. And as for getting pregnant, he said, "Knock yourself out!" LOL.

Since that time, I slacked off for a month. I had guests over and gained five of those 10 pounds lost. I ate meat! I ate beans! I ate eggs!

Anyway, now it's August. I really want to get serious again and stick with it. I am planning on going on a strict vegan diet that will be low protein and gluten free. I just ordered two months worth of Essential Amino Acid supplements from Calwood Nutrionals. I am researching what foods I can eat and not eat.

I was heartened that most of my levels went down after just a month of good eating and exercise. Now I want to tackle on losing 40 plus pounds, lower my creatinine levels, and get in the best shape of my life before I get pregnant next year.

Anyway, thanks everybody for all your help. For those in the early stages of kidney disease, now is the time to turn it around!

Old 08-08-2012, 11:31 PM   #12
(male)

Hurray! Those values are not bad at all! Your BUN went down dramatically, so kudos on your conscientiousness! You can be good to go for a long time and never need dialysis. Your CrCl (24hr?) is rather low, as is your GFR, so there is little doubt that there is some permanent lowering of kidney function, but nothing to be concerned about. Good for you, Puella. Legis linguam Lantinam?

Old 08-08-2012, 11:33 PM   #13
(male)

Hurray! Those values are not bad at all! Your BUN went down dramatically, so kudos on your conscientiousness! You can be good to go for a long time and never need dialysis. Your CrCl (24hr?) is rather low, as is your GFR, so there is little doubt that there is some permanent lowering of kidney function, but nothing to be concerned about. Good for you, Puella.

Old 08-09-2012, 09:13 PM   #14
(female)

puella2012 HB User

I took Latin in high school for three years....thus my handle. I will keep you guys updated. Despite facing a low protein future, I am actually pretty excited about cooking in a completely different way, lowering my creatinine, and losing weight.

But this weekend will be my last hurray to animal protein. I told my husband he needs to take me out to sushi.

Old 08-10-2012, 07:55 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Cora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB User

Puella, there is no hard and fast way to lower creatinine. It is a byproduct of muscle mass activity and is not affected by diet the way BUN, or potassium or phosporus is. So don't be discouraged if it doesn't go down, and don't get too excited if it does because it may come back up again (it's the nature of the beast to go up and down like that). Always try to stay hydrated so that your labs are more comparable. Congrats on the good labs, btw.

Reply Reply