It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Kidney Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2012, 10:09 AM   #1
Newbie
(female)
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: kolkata,india
Posts: 1
jinnysurana HB User
Question kidney shrunk in size

my mom who is 67yrs old suffering from diabetes, hypertension, high cholesterol has been diagnosed with right kidney functioning at 24% (the kidney has shrunk in size) and the other kidney is functioning at 76%. I am worried.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 08:29 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: MA
Posts: 3,547
SamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB User
Re: kidney shrunk in size

Has your mother had continuing kidney problems? Did she have previous scans of her kidneys?

Sometimes we are born with one kidney that is much smaller than the other, and eventually that kidney will shrink up to nearly nothing. As long as the other kidney is functioning well, there's nothing to worry about. If her total kidney function is at 76% or greater, given her age and her other health problems, she's doing pretty well as far as kidney function goes. That said, it is vitally important that her blood pressure be tightly controlled, as well as making sure her diabetes is under good control. Those two things will help prevent any further impairment to her overall kidney function.

Ruth

 
Reply With Quote
Sponsors Lightbulb
   
Old 07-22-2012, 04:38 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,747
Cora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB User
Re: kidney shrunk in size

I agree with Ruth. It sounds like her total function is still close to 100% with one kidney bearing more of the load. Another thing you might want to do is cut back on sodium (especially in prepared foods).
__________________
Cora
Dxd T1 1966, 2001 dialysis, 2002 kidney transplant, 2003 insulin pump, 2008 pancreas transplant

 
Reply With Quote
Reply Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
What is the kidney function ansmom Kidney Disorders 11 07-22-2011 12:42 PM
Kidney damage from stone? HaileyH Kidney Disorders 4 01-17-2011 04:06 AM
Kidney Infection? QZSue Kidney Disorders 6 01-03-2011 11:01 AM
Kidney pains/aches and a high urea level SaintGJR7 Kidney Disorders 1 12-31-2010 10:13 PM
Has a kidney failed when the size is still normal? aviv80 Kidney Disorders 3 03-16-2009 08:46 PM




Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Join Our Newsletter

Stay healthy through tips curated by our health experts.

Whoops,

There was a problem adding your email Try again

Thank You

Your email has been added








TOP THANKED CONTRIBUTORS



Cora1003 (83), ladybud (22), writeleft (11), Deanne1962 (8), sweetfemale (6), montesflus (4), leea1206 (3), flowergirl2day (3), stoney932 (3), lady1954 (3)

Site Wide Totals

teteri66 (1177), MSJayhawk (1004), Apollo123 (903), Titchou (847), janewhite1 (823), Gabriel (758), ladybud (753), sammy64 (668), midwest1 (668), BlueSkies14 (610)



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:12 PM.



Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.comô
Terms of Use © 1998-2014 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!