It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Kidney Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-30-2012, 09:41 PM   #1
Newbie
(female)
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
Posts: 1
booksenkatz HB User
I don't think I need surgery yet, dr. thinks I do -- HELP!

Hello all -- new to the forum, so be gentle.

I have passed four 4mm stones since April with only moderate pain. Much better than other stones I've had in the past which were far more painful, but I did pass them all, the largest at 6mm. I could live with a stone every few years, but this spring is unprecedented, so I found a highly recommended urologist who specializes in stones. She has run every test in the world on me and has concluded that my stone problem will disappear if I increase my water intake markedly. My bloodwork was stellar, urine test was fine except for volume, no problems with the diet at all. It's when it hits the kidneys that it all falls apart and stones are created because of so little fluid. I get it, so I've changed that habit completely.

Now then.

I have one 5mm stone that is trying to leave the kidney -- it pops in and out of the ureter. I had lots of discomfort on July 3 and July 5, but nothing since, and the latest test from 2 weeks ago shows it's gone back up where the kidney meets the ureter. There is NO urine backup in the kidney, it is fine; no pain; no blood; no infection; NOTHING. Yet my doctor wants to do a ureteroscopy, which I think is overkill at this stage. I feel that I can pass the stone when it's good and ready, as I have passed NINE stones since 1996, this is #10. Why be so aggressive when there is no pain, no infection, no kidney backup? Why not watch and wait and test every few months? It seems odd to charge in there with surgery, which might just stir up all sorts of other problems in its wake. I am aware that kidney infection would be a disaster, but is it wise to do surgery when there is not yet a problem? I'm certainly willing to submit to surgery if the status quo changes. But I feel great!

I am getting an IVP day after tomorrow, which I detest, as I had that done with my first stone in 1996. But my doc wants to see what this stone has done in the last 2 weeks. She's pushing for surgery, I am pushing against it. Would love to hear from other kidney patients.

Thank you very much for reading this!

 
Reply With Quote
Sponsors Lightbulb
   
Reply Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
what to do if I need surgery and have no insurance KallieY Kidney Disorders 3 10-02-2010 11:01 AM
Pyeloplasty Sugery NEED HELP!! Mandii3 Kidney Disorders 2 04-24-2009 08:42 PM
Need Advice Please Cher2005 Kidney Disorders 0 08-04-2008 05:44 PM
kidney surgery recovery k h Kidney Disorders 4 05-05-2008 07:09 AM
New to site...Scared, don't know what's wrong with me! laura999 Kidney Disorders 10 01-28-2008 02:26 PM




Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Join Our Newsletter

Stay healthy through tips curated by our health experts.

Whoops,

There was a problem adding your email Try again

Thank You

Your email has been added








TOP THANKED CONTRIBUTORS



Cora1003 (83), ladybud (22), writeleft (11), Deanne1962 (8), sweetfemale (6), montesflus (4), leea1206 (3), flowergirl2day (3), stoney932 (3), lady1954 (3)

Site Wide Totals

teteri66 (1166), MSJayhawk (1000), Apollo123 (899), Titchou (835), janewhite1 (823), Gabriel (758), ladybud (747), sammy64 (668), midwest1 (665), BlueSkies14 (610)



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:20 PM.



Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.comô
Terms of Use © 1998-2014 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!