It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Kidney Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-30-2012, 09:41 PM   #1
(female)

booksenkatz HB User
I don't think I need surgery yet, dr. thinks I do -- HELP!

Hello all -- new to the forum, so be gentle.

I have passed four 4mm stones since April with only moderate pain. Much better than other stones I've had in the past which were far more painful, but I did pass them all, the largest at 6mm. I could live with a stone every few years, but this spring is unprecedented, so I found a highly recommended urologist who specializes in stones. She has run every test in the world on me and has concluded that my stone problem will disappear if I increase my water intake markedly. My bloodwork was stellar, urine test was fine except for volume, no problems with the diet at all. It's when it hits the kidneys that it all falls apart and stones are created because of so little fluid. I get it, so I've changed that habit completely.

Now then.

I have one 5mm stone that is trying to leave the kidney -- it pops in and out of the ureter. I had lots of discomfort on July 3 and July 5, but nothing since, and the latest test from 2 weeks ago shows it's gone back up where the kidney meets the ureter. There is NO urine backup in the kidney, it is fine; no pain; no blood; no infection; NOTHING. Yet my doctor wants to do a ureteroscopy, which I think is overkill at this stage. I feel that I can pass the stone when it's good and ready, as I have passed NINE stones since 1996, this is #10. Why be so aggressive when there is no pain, no infection, no kidney backup? Why not watch and wait and test every few months? It seems odd to charge in there with surgery, which might just stir up all sorts of other problems in its wake. I am aware that kidney infection would be a disaster, but is it wise to do surgery when there is not yet a problem? I'm certainly willing to submit to surgery if the status quo changes. But I feel great!

I am getting an IVP day after tomorrow, which I detest, as I had that done with my first stone in 1996. But my doc wants to see what this stone has done in the last 2 weeks. She's pushing for surgery, I am pushing against it. Would love to hear from other kidney patients.

Thank you very much for reading this!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply