It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Kidney Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2012, 07:16 PM   #1
(female)

Momandfamily HB User
URQ Pain/Pressure for 4+ weeks - Kidney?

For 4 weeks I have had an increasing pain/pressure in my URQ (like a baseball has been put under my lower right ribs). I have had an ultrasound, 4 urine tests, 2 blood tests, a colonoscopy and scheduled for stomach x-ray plus CAT Scan in 4 weeks. My ultrasound of my ovaries, kidney, liver, gallbladder etc. came back normal. My urine tests sometimes have blood and recently none. My colonoscopy showed only small internal hemorrhoids.

The pain/pressure is constant 24hr and becomes much worse every night. I haven't slept through the night for weeks now. This symptom made me think I might have a duodenal ulcer - I started to take Zantac 150 twice a day. The churning in my stomach has been reduced but the URQ pain/pressure continues (just right of my spine and deep inside on on the outer URQ). Odd is that I cannot find any "pain point" that I can show the doctor and say it hurts right here. Activity does not seem to make it better or worse.

My blood work has come back normal to date (white blood cell count good suggesting there is no infection) though I asked to be test for H.Plylori and my doctor also decided to test my AST and ALT levels (I guess to see if it might be my liver). The doctor is puzzled as I have no other symptoms such as fever nor loss of appetite. She reassures me that nothing is likely going to burst or rupture but I am worried (and tired).

Two years ago I think I passed a small kidney stone but it was never confirmed and I was in so much pain for an hour it did not occur to me to look for the stone. Three years ago I was in ER for 2 days with what could have been larger kidney stone issue (or perhaps a major back spasm) but because the crippling pain (worse then giving birth) was in my back that ER doctors were totally focused on my heart (which they found to be fine).

Any suggestions on what it could be? I posted this under a gallbladder thread as well as I am hoping one of the two communities might have some ideas - thanks everyone.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-17-2012, 08:21 AM   #2
(female)

Momandfamily HB User
Re: URQ Pain/Pressure for 4+ weeks - Kidney?

My 4th urine test in 5 weeks has now showed an UTI infection. So my Dr put me on Macrobid 100mg /2 day for 10 days. Drinking lots of cranberry juice. Dr still wants me to do CAT scan in mid Sept. Two days on med and still having sleepless nights due to moderate pain URQ pain. Will ask about HIDA test when I do f/u with Dr in 2 weeks.

Old 08-18-2012, 05:32 PM   #3
(female)

candyheart HB User

Is there a reason the doctor is not testing for kidney stones? A quick CT scan will show whether or not your pain is caused by stones. I had pain in my left flank area, two days later a CT scan showed kidney stones.

Old 08-18-2012, 07:26 PM   #4
(female)

Momandfamily HB User

The Dr was using ultrasounds to look for anything. I have a CT scan scheduled for mid-Sept. Hoping to get in earlier if there is a cancellation. The Dr thinks that the colonoscopy prep I had to do 3 weeks ago would have likely flushed out any kidney stones. I am hoping it is kidney stones though she mentioned the CT can also detect things like Upper Urinary Tract cancers - wow that was scary to hear from Dr. I have looked all over Internet on this and it would seem from my naive reading on it the ultrasound should have seen a tumour and cancer does not usually cause pain in early stages. So I am praying Dr just mentioned it as an example.

Last edited by Momandfamily; 08-18-2012 at 07:27 PM. Reason: spelling

Old 08-18-2012, 07:45 PM   #5
(female)

candyheart HB User

Mom--
Can you describe your pain in more detail? Is it below your belly button? Is it on one side? Is it a nagging pain, kind of colicky? I've suffered with kidney stones for many years. My current stone is 7mm and now I will begin the kidney stone saga!!

Old 08-18-2012, 07:56 PM   #6
(female)

Momandfamily HB User

Sorry to hear about your latest kidney stone. I have heard the journey is painful!!

My ache started as a pinch one morning on my right side, just under my rib cage to the right of my belly button. From then on it has been a constant dull ache never ceasing. It radiates from the right of my mid-spine around to my front abdomen. Heat eases the ache a little bit. The middle of the nights are the worse. I have to get up as I am woken up from it and cannot get comfortable to get back to sleep.

I thought kidney stones were child-labour like pain?

Old 08-18-2012, 08:28 PM   #7
(female)

candyheart HB User

When the kidney stone is moving and/or blocking the flow of urine, the pain is usually unbearable. I have experienced both, child birth and kidney stones and I can say the pain is pretty much equal. Once the stone "settles" the unbearable pain subsides and you are left with this nagging, colicky, pressure type pain. The stone can "act up" again and then you are back to the severe pain. This has been my experience.

The Following User Says Thank You to candyheart For This Useful Post:
Momandfamily (08-18-2012)
Old 08-19-2012, 08:49 AM   #8
(female)

Momandfamily HB User

Candy-
I was reading elsewhere on this Board that kidney stones inside the kidney does not cause any pain. The reason being it said was that inside the kidney there are very few nerves. Has this been your experience?

Old 08-19-2012, 11:45 AM   #9
(female)

candyheart HB User

That could be true, but I'm not sure. My bad pain started last Sunday nite. Maybe my 7mm stone was passing out of my kidney at that time. I'm sure it was just sitting in the kidney before that. My scan shows the stone just a bit below the kidney, so I've got a way to go. The Dr wants to see if I can pass it by myself, I really don't think so, but we shall see. The KUB I'm having on Wed will show if the stone has moved. By the way, Mom, how have you been feeling?

Old 08-19-2012, 04:25 PM   #10
(female)

Momandfamily HB User

I have taken 8 of 20 doses of my Macromid and just starting to feel like things might be taking a turn for the better. The pain/pressure is still ever present in my right flank but it is less I think. I could not sleep most of last night but I did not have to get up and move around like I have had to previous nights. Still no fever. I am drinking lots of water + cranberry juice and so having to pee a lot. I am watching my urine to see what is being flushed out. I saw a couple of 'poppy-seed' like bits floating but not sure if they would be tiny kidney stones. Also see opaque white tiny bits in the urine. I am hoping this is the infection coming out.

Just looked on a ruler at how big 7mm is...it will be a difficult passing if it comes out on its own. Keep drinking the water Candy! Do you know if your stones are Calcium based? I have read that drinking water with fresh lemon juice can help to dissolve Calcium-based kidney stones - you might already know this.

Last edited by Momandfamily; 08-19-2012 at 04:30 PM. Reason: spelling

Old 08-24-2012, 02:02 PM   #11
(female)

Momandfamily HB User

After taking Macrobid for 9 of 10 day prescription I am still having persistent right flank pain, it is always there. Still 2 weeks to CAT scan and I am started to get worried that my 2 recent ultrasounds missed something serious. I have been searching Internet for possible causes but with nothing matching my symptons. To make things more frustrating I have developed Proctalgia Fugax. At first I thought (and hoped) I was passing a kidney stone missed by the ultrasounds. But the severe pain was toward my back, in the rectum. Sure enough in about 30 mins. the spasms passed. The right kidney pain continues! Why???
Anyone have any suggestions?

Old 09-01-2012, 01:57 PM   #12
(female)

Momandfamily HB User
Unhappy Re: URQ Pain/Pressure for 4+ weeks - Kidney?

Just an update. Finished Macrobid for the 10 days. Felt better in some ways but original dull right flank continues. My follow up 2 days post stopping Macrobid urine did not grow an infection. But next day had a rusty urine so went right back for another urine test. Though just 24 hrs later, this 2nd urine culture did grow an infection. I convinced Dr to start me on antibiotic right away even before 2nd culture back. Good thing as culture did not come back for 4 days. Dr changed antibiotic to Cipro 500 for 14 days. Still waiting to have CT scan with drinking the dye. Not looking to borrow trouble but read ultrasound only detects 35 per cent of kidney cancers under 7mm and blood in urine with dull kidney pain are symptons. My 2 recent ultrasounds were clear. I still have no fever, no burning urine...so getting concerned. Stage 1 kidney cancer has 60 per cent 5 year survival rate.

Last edited by Momandfamily; 09-18-2012 at 06:01 PM.

Old 09-01-2012, 01:58 PM   #13
(female)

Momandfamily HB User
Unhappy Re: URQ Pain/Pressure for 4+ weeks - Kidney?

CAT scan results were clear. Dr gave me sleeping pills so I can get more than 2hrs sleep. Not sure were Dr sending me next as pain continues.

Last edited by Momandfamily; 09-08-2012 at 08:54 PM.

Old 09-18-2012, 06:18 PM   #14
(female)

Momandfamily HB User

Now told CT scan showed a small cyst on right kidney. Dr said it would not cause these symptons. Now being sent for MRI. Dr thinks maybe a pinched nerve where spin/rib attach is part of this. Chiropractor I saw said a pinched nerve would not be causing these specific symptons. He did acupuncture and suggested I get a second opinion on CT scan results. Can a patient request this or does it have to be my Dr?

Asked to have a HIDA (?) scan for gallbladder but was told I would be having acute pain vs the constant I have, so Dr would not do this test. Still taking Tylenol 3 and sleeping pills to help manage night pain. Any other areas I could try with all this?

Last edited by Momandfamily; 09-18-2012 at 06:22 PM. Reason: Troubles posting

Old 09-27-2012, 04:13 PM   #15
(female)

GinaP2 HB User

Hi There, I am having a similar issue. About a month ago, I started to get a pain in my right flank, nausea and vomiting accompanied it. I've been to the emergency department at the hospital a number of times now and for many follow ups. They have tested urine, blood, done xrays and ultrasounds to no avail. They prescribed anti inflammatories and anti biotics as they though it was a kidney infection. I have since finished the medication and still have had no improvement. There are some days when the pain isn't so bad and I have an appetite but for the majority it is quite painful and I have no appetite. I've lost quite a bit of weight due to this as well. I have recently got a new family doctor and will be seeing him in a couple of weeks, so I am hoping he will be of some assistance. But no one seems to know what is going on. It is very painful and uncomfortable so I am hoping to figure something out soon. If you have any information to provide it would be appreciated, also if I find out anything further I will advise.

Reply Reply

Tags
degenerative disc disease, disc herniation, flank pain, kidney infection, uti