It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Kidney Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2012, 05:56 PM   #1
(male)

sydskind HB User
is This STAGE 3 RENAL / Kindey Failure?

I am posting here because I have a serious issue ongoing and I was not able to get any help today at my local clinic. the Attending had an emergency and ran off to the ER--leaving me with two first year residents--who could not answer ANY of my questions. They have me listed as "STAGE TWO " kidney disease....I belevie it is worse---and I beleive they are missing it...and they are not running appropriate tests.

Why do I say this---I passed a kidney stone and was in the ER last month--they said I have multiple stones--I was on LYRICA it created them= but I still have sand passing an foamy urine and decreased output--multiple 24 hour urine tests show elevations in areas that should not be elevated. Creatinine levels have been high, sometimes normal--then high again. I have recieved NO biopsy ever (they cvaim it only tests a very small portion nto worth it)..only scans I had were ultrasound (no hydrophrenosis) and CT no contrast (to see stones). They claim best test is blood work and urinalysis which i just had.

24 Hour urinalysis results today "

1)High Oyxaltes 2x normal
2)High CYSTINE ( a definitive test of renal faliure?) 252 (range up to 200)
3)VERY High PROTEIN 470 (range 0-149)
4)High Uric Acid 1200 (range 200 -900)
5)High Sodium 800 (range up to 500)
6)HigH potassium (they claim it is from taking potassium citrate)

They told me to continue taking Potassim citrate and added a drug "ALLOPREVENOL ? 100mg to reduce uric acid--I do NOT have gout..and they do NOT think I have Gout--I do not Drink alcohol .even socially--and I am not eating a lot of red meat at all--so -they think it is part of some kidney failure. but not failed enough for them to be "worried". .but they were unwilling to DO anything more than give me the 2 drugs....Does anyone see me headed to Stage 3 failure with the results I posted or already IN stage 3?

Last edited by sydskind; 08-22-2012 at 06:02 PM. Reason: spell check

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-22-2012, 10:12 PM   #2
(male)

Deanne1962 HB UserDeanne1962 HB UserDeanne1962 HB User
Re: is This STAGE 3 RENAL / Kindey Failure?

I am not sure how your test results convert. You mention high protein in your 24hr urine test, which might be dispositive. Have you had your creatinine measured? Your BUN level might also be an indicator of kidney function, but not as directly as the former. There is really nothing to go on from what you have listed. Are you on medicare or medicaid? Do you have diabetes, high BP, or any other risk factor? I would definitely press this issue. Have you any symptoms, like edema (especially in the extremities), fatigue, changes in urination, quantitative and qualitative?

Last edited by Deanne1962; 08-23-2012 at 03:23 AM.

Old 08-22-2012, 10:23 PM   #3
(male)

sydskind HB User

Answers--no not on medicaid but in HMO that regulates care. my blood creatinine is currently NORMAL--that is what they are going on to state "you are only in stage 2 not stage 3" would you agree. I do not know my curent BUN in blood. It was last tested in MAY 2012 and it was normal--and normal 6 mos prior. However LYRICA created kidne ystones this summer--several ER trips for stones--i am OFF that drug--but have had sand since. I do NOT have Diabetes, I do not have High BP. I have many other risk factors--I am on multiple medications they told me that effect renal function and I cannot live off those medications--including an anti-inflammatory. I have COD, 5 heart stents, autonomic dysfunction. I do not smoke or drink. not sure what other risk factors would be other than medications I am on and being told a)do not drink any beverage with Sodium phosphate (coke) and stay away from Potassium foods and watch red meat whic h ido. What is "dispositive": result mean--you mean it might not be all that important a reading--protein 3x range in report? I have no edema...but YES--I have about 12 of 15 symptoms of renal failure--I looked them up..no joke. (chronic fatigure, vision changes, itching, flank pain (they are dismissing it since it is on the sides and not in the "back" ) and more imprtantly I measured urine output this week and I am at 940 ml in 24 hours..i would say thats not very good. Yes i am drinking. They are refusing to do any other tests. What other tests other than 24 hour stone analysis and blood work can be done?

ALARMING to me--My FACE is WHITE--I had a photo take nof me in May 2012 anf it was actually tyhe first photo I have had taken in over a year--and my face--is bout 3X whiter than 3 years ago--one of the clear indicators of renmal failure is PALE WHITE facial complexion. I notice a major change. Also have had multiple pain injections with steroid..wonder if that steroid could have caoused daamge-i d onot knwo which specific was used but i have had many injections-several hundred over years.

Last edited by sydskind; 08-22-2012 at 10:28 PM.

Old 08-23-2012, 03:37 AM   #4
(male)

Deanne1962 HB UserDeanne1962 HB UserDeanne1962 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sydskind View Post
Answers--no not on medicaid but in HMO that regulates care. my blood creatinine is currently NORMAL--that is what they are going on to state "you are only in stage 2 not stage 3" would you agree. I do not know my curent BUN in blood. It was last tested in MAY 2012 and it was normal--and normal 6 mos prior. However LYRICA created kidne ystones this summer--several ER trips for stones--i am OFF that drug--but have had sand since. I do NOT have Diabetes, I do not have High BP. I have many other risk factors--I am on multiple medications they told me that effect renal function and I cannot live off those medications--including an anti-inflammatory. I have COD, 5 heart stents, autonomic dysfunction. I do not smoke or drink. not sure what other risk factors would be other than medications I am on and being told a)do not drink any beverage with Sodium phosphate (coke) and stay away from Potassium foods and watch red meat whic h ido. What is "dispositive": result mean--you mean it might not be all that important a reading--protein 3x range in report? I have no edema...but YES--I have about 12 of 15 symptoms of renal failure--I looked them up..no joke. (chronic fatigure, vision changes, itching, flank pain (they are dismissing it since it is on the sides and not in the "back" ) and more imprtantly I measured urine output this week and I am at 940 ml in 24 hours..i would say thats not very good. Yes i am drinking. They are refusing to do any other tests. What other tests other than 24 hour stone analysis and blood work can be done?

ALARMING to me--My FACE is WHITE--I had a photo take nof me in May 2012 anf it was actually tyhe first photo I have had taken in over a year--and my face--is bout 3X whiter than 3 years ago--one of the clear indicators of renmal failure is PALE WHITE facial complexion. I notice a major change. Also have had multiple pain injections with steroid..wonder if that steroid could have caoused daamge-i d onot knwo which specific was used but i have had many injections-several hundred over years.
No one knows one's body better than one's self. I had a Multiple blood panel today, including tests for my thyroid and anemia, the latter of which is associated with kidney failure. If my kidney test values have gotten a little worse and, if I test anemic, there will be little doubt that I am suffering progressive kidney disease.
I have had many of the symptoms that you have right now, but this can also be attributable to possible thyroid issues. You mention an inflammatory condition, and ongoing treatment for same. Many inflammatory diseases, i.e., autoimmune disorders, can give rise to kidney diseases.
The thing with diagnosing and gaining control over your kidney ailment, if such is the case, is to keep track of trends over the long haul. You seem to have made some good choices so far, but with your other health issues, and necessary medications, it is likely that your kidneys have been stressed. Please keep us abreast of developments. Good luck!

Reply Reply

Tags
kidney disease, kidney failure caused, kidney function