It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Kidney Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2012, 08:26 PM   #1
(female)

nancyp0913 HB User
"Back at baseline"?

My doctor's office called and happily (seemingly) said I was "Back at Baseline." What does THAT mean?? At first I was semi ok with that, but the more I think about it, the more it bothers me.

Some brief history. Health screening in July showed eGFR at 48. Got my labs from last two years of physicals.... eGFR was 70 and then 63. Concerned, went to doctor on 8/8. Labs show eGFR is 54 or 59 depending on the calculator used.... and they called me with the "Back at Baseline" statement.

I have concerning symptoms.... roller-coaster blood pressure that is difficult to control.... very high to very low; I'm up almost every hour of the not to use the restroom; I often (night time) itch all over like a crazy person; and I have tingling (sometimes with pain) in my lower arms and legs and feet and hands. Haven't had a full night sleep in eons and often wake up with nausea. I brought these up with the doc.... I was basically dismissed.

So... does "Back at Baseline" infer that they think CKD Stage 2 (which is what I would've been at with the eGFRs of 70 and 63 is ok with them and that they are considering that "normal" for me? And... how can a 59 (or 54) be "Baseline" when it's under 60 and has followed a screening eGFR of 48.

I feel I'm right on the borderline and that they/I'm "waiting to get worse" before "we" get concerned and do anything. What should I be thinking and what should I do? Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-24-2012, 07:17 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Cora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB User
Re: "Back at baseline"?

"Baseline" is what they consider to be your new "normal". The level at which you are stable. I had my transplant in 2002 and my creatinine baseline is about 1.5. Not normal, but it is what I have been stable at for about the last 6 years or so. This is what they mean when they say that. If things progress you may end up with a new baseline for a while. It doesn't say anything about what your level actually is (that varies from person to person and you need to see the actual labs) but it does mean that they consider you to be stable. Hope this helps a bit.

Old 08-24-2012, 08:28 AM   #3
(female)

nancyp0913 HB User

Thanks, Cora! I can see that, but it begs another question.... If baseline means that's my new normal and I'm considered stable, wouldn't that imply that I've actually "stayed" at or around a certain number? Going from and eGFR of 70 to 63 to 48 and then back to 59/54 in two years.... I don't see stable there, do you?

I have my labs, and although they are all still in the normal range (for this lab), my albumin, BUN, Ca, and CO2 have all steadily increased from dead center of the normal range to high normal. CL and Na have stayed about the same. I only have one phos result and it is at the very top of normal.

I guess I should just let it play out. I have my annual physical in October/November. I can see what the numbers look like then and see if, what I see as, the downward trend is still heading that way or not.

Old 08-24-2012, 08:59 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Cora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB User

Nancy, nothing ever stays completely the same with kidney function tests. It depends on hydration, what you ate, and how much you've exercised. They basically deal in ballparks and general trends. The trick is to watch over time, as you have been doing. I do know that when my kidneys were failing, they didn't tend to talk about a baseline since typically things were always different. Hope things stay stable for you for a long time. Best of luck.

The Following User Says Thank You to Cora1003 For This Useful Post:
nancyp0913 (08-24-2012)
Old 08-24-2012, 10:04 AM   #5
(female)

nancyp0913 HB User

Thanks, Cora!! I appreciate your knowledge and your input!!!

Reply Reply