It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Kidney Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2012, 02:53 PM   #1
(female)

mixie2 HB User
Question living kidney donation

Hi all

My mum needs a kidney, but has too many anti-bodies, so i'm donating in the paired/pooled exchange, so my mum can receive one.

I have just completed my evaluation tests to donate, which all came back fine, so will hopefully be donating in October/November if we get a match.

My question is (sorry it took so long to get to it) can any one share their experiences of mini nephrectomy?
Also experiences of open or laparoscopic nephrectomy?
Did you have any complications?
How long did it take for you to recover?
Was it as painful as you thought it would be?

For ladies . . .
If you have had a pregnancy after the surgery, did you have any problems due to only having one kidney?

I can't wait to have my mum back to normal (hopefully we will get a match), so will def go through with it, but just wanted to prepare for the worst.

Thank you for any input

Old 08-24-2012, 04:56 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Cora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB User
Re: living kidney donation

My cousin gave me a kidney almost 10 years ago and she is doing fine. She had it done laprascopically and by the 2nd day post surgery was doubled over in the sink washing her hair (wasn't allowed to shower yet). She was out in less than a week. She didn't have kids after, but my transplant center has done many studies and found that there is no difference in the rate of conception, miscarriage, or birth defects if you have a baby with only one kidney. They only suggest waiting a year after the donation.

My friends husband gave her a kidney the "old fashioned" way and has a huge scar. They dealt with the pain very effectively and he was out of hospital in a week. It has been over 10 years and he too is fine.

Hope this helps a bit.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-25-2012, 02:34 PM   #3
(female)

mixie2 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cora1003 View Post
My cousin gave me a kidney almost 10 years ago and she is doing fine. She had it done laprascopically and by the 2nd day post surgery was doubled over in the sink washing her hair (wasn't allowed to shower yet). She was out in less than a week. She didn't have kids after, but my transplant center has done many studies and found that there is no difference in the rate of conception, miscarriage, or birth defects if you have a baby with only one kidney. They only suggest waiting a year after the donation.

My friends husband gave her a kidney the "old fashioned" way and has a huge scar. They dealt with the pain very effectively and he was out of hospital in a week. It has been over 10 years and he too is fine.

Hope this helps a bit.
Yes it does help, thank you for replying.
x

Old 10-05-2012, 04:53 PM   #4
(female)

Donork HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixie2 View Post
Hi all

My mum needs a kidney, but has too many anti-bodies, so i'm donating in the paired/pooled exchange, so my mum can receive one.

I have just completed my evaluation tests to donate, which all came back fine, so will hopefully be donating in October/November if we get a match.

My question is (sorry it took so long to get to it) can any one share their experiences of mini nephrectomy?
Also experiences of open or laparoscopic nephrectomy?
Did you have any complications?
How long did it take for you to recover?
Was it as painful as you thought it would be?

For ladies . . .
If you have had a pregnancy after the surgery, did you have any problems due to only having one kidney?

I can't wait to have my mum back to normal (hopefully we will get a match), so will def go through with it, but just wanted to prepare for the worst.

Thank you for any input

Old 10-05-2012, 05:06 PM   #5
(female)

Donork HB User

hello, I donated a kidney to my brother 24 days ago. With laproscopic surgery I was walking the night of the surgery. I returned to work 9 days after surgery (which I don't necessarily recommend but it was ok). I strongly recommend you insist on two nights, at least, in the hospital. I impressed the surgeons so much with my walking all around that they discharged me the day following the surgery - mistake for me. That first night out of the hospital was the worst experience of the entire process - bad pain made worse by the percoset which made me nauseous and forced me to get out of bed to rush to the bathroom - so painful. I would have been fine with one more night in the hospital. The next day I stopped the percoset, limited myself to Tylenol, and from then on quickly progressed. Today I walked almost three miles, no problem. If you are in good health going into the surgery, you should recover just fine. It's not terrible. Just don't let them discharge you too soon (they'll want to get you out asap). My brother is doing well, which makes it all worth it.

Reply Reply

Tags
donation, kidney, nephroctomy, pregnancy, recovery