It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Kidney Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2012, 12:00 AM   #1
(male)

Deanne1962 HB UserDeanne1962 HB UserDeanne1962 HB User
New symptoms and changing numbers!

Hello to all board members;

I have many health issues going right now, including asthma, which is fairly mild, and hypothyroid, which is now being treated

My other issue, and the one that seems to fill me with the most trepidation, is my ongoing issue with my polyuria, and now, an increase in muscle twitching and soreness, especially in my calves and thighs, with the frequent sensation of upper back muscle aches. I have had more kidney function blood tests in the last year than I can count offhand. For the most part, my values have been very consistent, including such parameters as electrolyte levels, GFR, creatinine and BUN.

There has been a very sublte (or maybe not) change in my creatinine over the last nine months. I know this, because last Nov., I had a multiple panel blood test at my local VA clinic. My creatinine was at 1.0mg/dl and my BUN was at 13.

In March of this year, I had a seizure, which was brought on by an abrupt decrease in Lorazipam over the course of several days. At the ER, my creatinine was at 1.09 and creatine at 14 (standard blood test). I am now at 1.14 for creatinine, which is actually a drop of about 6 on the GFR since Nov! I have been as low as .96, not quite a year ago.
I do not want to throw too much at my next medical visit, however, I do want to bring up this sudden change in my physical status with the doctor. I know that hypothyroidism can cause fatigue, muscle aches, etc., but still, there is the concern over the change in my kidney numbers. I am feeling really awful at present, but cannot believe that my kidney values would be giving me this much trouble already! Am I, perhaps, sensitive to subtle changes in function?!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-28-2012, 08:04 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Cora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB User
Re: New symptoms and changing numbers!

The changes in creatinine are miniscule and would not cause the symptoms you are feeling. These changes could be due to hydration issues or how much exercise you have been getting. Also labs have a margin of error as well. While I would never dismiss changes in kidney lab values, yours are too close to normal to have significant effects on how you are feeling at this point. In my opinion anyway - I'm not a doc but have been living with kidney issues for almost 40 years.

Reply Reply