It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Kidney Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2012, 11:15 AM   #1
(female)

Litldebbie1965 HB User
Kidneys hurt

Hello all,
I just ran across this website moments ago, and registered as quickly as I could in hopes of somebody, or anybody to help with advise or suggestions.
My name is Deb, I am 47 yrs old. I have no health/dental insurance, so I try to help myself as much as possible.
This past Wendsday I went to dentist as I have a broken tooth (bottom/front canine) that became infected. I was X-rayed & told I had a severe infection. I was given Clindamycin 300mg as well as vicoden for pain. Upon exam @ the dentists office the pain wasn't too bad, so due to lack of money I opted for the dentist to only give me 6 vicoden tabs for pain. Left office and got scripts filled promptly and started on Clindamycin immediately. By later Wendsday evening the pain had intensified, and my mouth looked like I had a peach stuffed in there. Things only got worse, so I called back to my dentist Friday, only to discover they were closed.
My husband has "Secondary Multiple Sclerosis", so being stuck in pain, and the weekend upon me I took some of his medications. I've taken Vicodens before so I knew those were OK, problem was NOTHING seemed to be helping my pain. I was suffering terribly, so I tried something different. I began taking "Toradol" which is a non-narcotic & I hoped I could manage the pain with that. I was taking a Toradol, then 30-45 minutes later a 5.5 vicoden. For 2 1/2 days I did this, with the max of 3 Toradols per day as I had been told Toradol is hard on the kidneys. Yesterday afternoon I was still a basket case, & I couldn't believe the situation I was in. I switched from the Toradol to a pill called Tramadol. I stopped the vicoden and began taking Motrin 800.
I haven't ate, haven't been sleeping & simply have been miserable to say the least. Then, Friday night just after I went to sleep I woke with 2 dull excruciating pains on my left and right sides of my back. It wasn't any muscle pain, & I could only identify this pain as kidney pain. The pain on the L & R sides were in identical spots, just below the rib cage, not within muscle area. I was unable to sleep due to this pain. Yesterday, another God awful day with my tooth infection, but I knew it was beginning to get better. Still had to use some form of pain management though, so I stuck with Motrin & Tramadol again, also I took 1 vicoden. Went to sleep at midnight and woke at 4 am AGAIN with this same L & R kidney pain. Nothing helped to sleep. I tried curling into fetus positions, sleeping on L side, R side, etc. etc.
Today I realize I have probably put my kidneys through hell with the different medications I have taken in the past 4 days. I have researched kidney pain, but most articles talk of stones, infections & so forth. I am drinking water as I type. The pain isn't nearly as bad when I am awake, but God only knows I have got to get some SLEEP. My urine is as clear as water. I have had 1 1/2 cups of coffee today, and 3 glasses of water (Lrg glasses).
Once again, no health insurance so I am sorta stuck. My primary charges me a reduced rate of 76.00 and although I appreciate this very much, by the time I am through with blood work (God only knows what that'll cost), then prescriptions, it can all be too costly. Not to mention I MUST get this tooth fixed to prevent this from EVER happening again.
Any suggestions? The pain throughout the night was so bad that I had considered getting up and going to the E.R.
Lastly, I'm next to positive this is my kidneys. My husband & I got a new mattress just over a yr. ago so it's not my mattress nor muscle pain. Been there & done that, and sure of at least that.
Thank you SOOOO much for any help or suggestions anyone might have to give.
PS. I'm frightened. If it's suggested that I should make a E.R. visit, I will.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-23-2012, 06:30 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

DebR HB User
Re: Kidneys hurt

Eleven years ago I sure grieved when my left kidney failed. Kidneys don't always give you a heads up you have a problem. I did all I could to save it but, it was too late. Almost all my function was gone before I knew to get help. Once it's too late, it's too late. Now one kidney is doing all of the work and passing kidney stones regularly. Function is at 70% and I thank God for that. Once in a while I think about how I may have dialysis in my future. Not a pretty picture.

I guess you can tell that I don't want to make a financial decision for you because ultimately you are left with the bill.

Primary can put you on antibiotics, have you get a KUB (kidney, ureter, bladder, order blood work, wait for results, give you a referral to a urologist, wait until your urologist appointment, more tests ordered, more waiting. kidneys can fail fast

Or

You can go to the ER and tell the doctor everything you told us. Don't leave out the part about all the pain medications (toxins) they've tried to eliminate from your body. They will do kidney function bloodwork and maybe other kinds. Order a C T scan and see just where you stand.

No amount of money in this world is more important then your kidneys. They fail and your really up a creek without a paddle.

One more suggestion...a county hospital that has to take patients no matter what.

Debbie

Old 09-24-2012, 10:12 AM   #3
(female)

Litldebbie1965 HB User

Thanks for chimming in Deb R.
Today is a whole new day after I drank at least a gallon of water yesterday. Going to phone my Dr. after lunch to see if they can do a blood work up just to be on the safe side. The pain is completly gone (no problems at all last night), so I thought I was good-to-go - until just now reading your post. Better to be safe than sorry.

I am so saddened to hear of your story, and ultimately the loss of your kidney.
I hope today, along with the future is bright for you, and may continue to stay that way.
Thanks again for chimming in with the great suggestion.
Good luck to you!

Deb Burns

The following user gives a hug of support to Litldebbie1965:
DebR (09-26-2012)
Old 09-24-2012, 02:42 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

DebR HB User

Just stay on these people. No waiting too long for anything. Time is of the essence.

Reply Reply