It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Kidney Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2012, 05:41 PM   #1
(male)

howerd HB User
Bladder spasm normal?

Had a 4mm stone lodged in my lower ureter near the bladder for the last week. Trying to pass it, of course.

Last couple days, I have terrible bladder spasms where I'll have to rush to the restroom barely in time to keep from peeing down my leg, only to have a tiny amount of urine (a couple ounces maybe), but it relieves me for a while. Pretty much got me a prisoner in the house at the moment. Am also starting to get some irritation in the urethra when urinating, mild stinging - feels like it's on the same side as the stone (left). Still no visible blood in urine, but occasionally some tiny flecks of what look like tissue or skin floating in the urine, I assume from the stone scraping against the ureter.

Is this all due to the stone being so close to the bladder it's causing spasms? Is it common with kidney stone passage?

Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-23-2012, 09:12 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

DebR HB User
Re: Bladder spasm normal?

My first reply was to LilDeb1965.

I could be very wrong but, this is what I think.....

You must still be trying to pass the kidney stone and the kidney stone is right where the ureter is attached to the bladder. That is why you are having bladder spasms. I have had those and they are very painful. Seven to ten years ago, if things have not changed, a urologist or E R doctor can prescribe this orange tablet that makes those spasms go away. Those tablets make you pee orange. It is like dye in the aspect that it will stain the toilet seat. Once, I immediately threw up orange everywhere and had a hard time cleaning up the mess. Have something in your stomach or ask for nausea medicine in case. You are not peeing straight because of the location of the stone. I've been in that situation many times. On a normal day now, I will pee a drop or two after I stand up. Panti liners are a must on those days and a big wad of toilet paper when it is completely unexpected and out an about.

I do think the stone and the scrapping of it inside your ureter, badder and urethra has given you an infection. I forgot if the orange pill takes care of that too. You need a urinalysis and a copy of the results from the ER if that is where you decide to go. I wouldn't go to the ER unless you are in a lot of pain. otherwise, urgent care or a call to your urologists office in the morning. They'lll have you come in and do a urinalysis and prescribe the orange pills and prescribe Cipro.

DebR

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-23-2012, 09:14 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

DebR HB User

My first reply was to LilDeb1965.

I could be very wrong but, this is what I think.....

You must still be trying to pass the kidney stone and the kidney stone is right where the ureter is attached to the bladder. That is why you are having bladder spasms. I have had those and they are very painful. Seven to ten years ago, if things have not changed, a urologist or E R doctor can prescribe this orange tablet that makes those spasms go away. Those tablets make you pee orange. It is like dye in the aspect that it will stain the toilet seat. Once, I immediately threw up orange everywhere and had a hard time cleaning up the mess. Have something in your stomach or ask for nausea medicine in case. You are not peeing straight because of the location of the stone. I've been in that situation many times. On a normal day now, I will pee a drop or two after I stand up. Panti liners are a must on those days and a big wad of toilet paper when it is completely unexpected and out an about.

I do think the stone and the scrapping of it inside your ureter, badder and urethra has given you an infection. I forgot if the orange pill takes care of that too. You need a urinalysis and a copy of the results from the ER if that is where you decide to go. I wouldn't go to the ER unless you are in a lot of pain. otherwise, urgent care or a call to your urologists office in the morning. They'll have you come in and do a urinalysis and prescribe the orange pills and prescribe Cipro.

DebR

Old 09-24-2012, 01:09 AM   #4
(male)

howerd HB User

The doc tested my urine Thursday (it's now Monday) so should hear soon. He's wanting to make sure I don't get a kidney infection, but I suppose it could be a bladder infection - it has many of the symptoms, but from what I've read, these symptoms are also common to a stone messing with the bladder. The urinalysis should resolve that question. Even if it's not a UTI, I'm hoping he can give me an anti-spasmodic for the bladder.

Old 09-24-2012, 07:02 PM   #5
(male)

howerd HB User

Talked to my doc by phone today. Based on my description of the symptoms, he feels the stone is now in the bladder. He says every time you move around, the stone rolls around, irritating the walls of the bladder, telling your brain to pee, whether there's urine in there or not - thus, the 4 ounce "emergencies." He prescribed me some pyridium (the orange pee stuff), as it has somewhat numbs the bladder and urethra and hopefully will reduce these spasms - and also, hopefully, make the actual passing (whenever that comes) a little easier.

Although ... late tonight I did have to take a pain pill because I was getting the familiar tightness/soreness in the flank, so maybe it's still at the ureter/bladder junction, who knows?

Last edited by howerd; 09-24-2012 at 09:10 PM.

Old 09-26-2012, 04:33 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

DebR HB User

Howard,
I'm impressed you actually got to talk to the doctor on the phone. I'm glad to hear that Pyridium is still around. Did you find out the results of your urinalysis? Do you have an infection?

My urologist would tell me to start the pain medicine as soon as I started having pain. She said I have to be a few steps ahead of the pain. Don't make it where your chasing the pain.
She said, try as you may, you will never catch up with it. Just little tidbit there.

Old 09-26-2012, 03:40 PM   #7
(male)

howerd HB User

First of all, HealthBoards has somehow changed my name without my knowledge - I don't know who "howerd" is, but that's not my callsign. I'm trying to get it straightened out.

As to the stone - passed that baby last night! As you know, I'd been having crazy bladder spasms for two straight days, urgency, frequency - the Pyridium didn't affect it one bit. Last night I was sitting down eating, and I literally felt a pop in my stomach in the area of the bladder, and a brief nerve tingle at the end of my urethra (penis end). It wasn't painful, but pronounced and I'd never felt it before, so I thought, "I wonder if that stone just broke loose into the bladder?"

Sure enough, half an hour later, went to pee, and in mid-stream, "plop," a 4mm smooth stone pops out with not a speck of blood or even a flinch of pain. Had I not been catching it in a cup, I'd likely not even known it had come out, but when I saw it, you can bet I let out a war hoop!

The next four urinations through the night contained a ton of sediment and such, but now my urine is clean. Bladder spasms disappeared immediately upon passing it, though today I notice when I get a full bladder, I have slightly more urgency than before, but it's nothing I can't live with and hope it will decrease the farther I get away from the incident.

If you'd have told me you could pass a 4mm stone with no exit pain, I wouldn't have believed you, but thank goodness it's true! I took it into the Doc today and he said from the look of it (round, smooth, striated with colors) that it appears to have been forming for a long, long time, slowly like the rings on a tree. Who knows, he's having it analyzed.

I am so glad to pass that thing, I can't even tell you - and should I ever get another, I at least know that on a good day, you can pass a sizeable stone without screaming bloody murder. Let's just hope any future ones are as smooth as this one!

Old 09-30-2012, 02:02 AM   #8
Inactive
(female)

DebR HB User

Good to hear the stone has passed!

Reply Reply