It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Kidney Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-28-2012, 01:03 PM   #1
(male)

Doji HB User
Can kidneys shrink in just 4 months ?

I had an ultrasound done on 4/30/12 due to a pain in my right abdomen. There was no mention of kidney problems and the report mentioned that the kidneys are of normal size. It stated that the right kidney measures 12.1 cm and the left measures 11.9 cm.
On 8/31/12 another doctor ordered another ultrasound which was done at a different place. Again there was no mention of kidney problems in the report. However, it stated that the right kidney measures 11.6 cm and the left measures 11.0 cm.
Does anyone know if kidneys shrink this fast ? And what would cause it ?
I've never had a kidney infection, any kidney pain, or any problems with my kidneys.
I wonder how accurate kidney measurements are on these ultrasounds. Could it be that my kidneys didn't shrink and the differences are just due to the two ultrasounds being done at two different places.
I have a followup appointment scheduled in two weeks so hopefully they can tell me then. But it makes me wonder if I have a serious kidney problem coming on.
Anyone have any thoughts ?

Old 09-28-2012, 08:46 PM   #2
(male)

Deanne1962 HB UserDeanne1962 HB UserDeanne1962 HB User
Re: Can kidneys shrink in just 4 months ?

I had an US in Januaary, and my right kidney measured some 9.5 cm and my left at about 10.5 cm in length. My cortical thickness was deemed normal, as was the width of my kidneys. The US was deemed normal, with no shrinkages, scarring, etc.
I am going to assume that any shrinkage would leave behind pathological sign, such as scarring.
The differential between US meausures might well be the result of the person doing the measuring. An US is good at detecting pathological markers, from cysts, scarring, etc. So, if you had shrinkage, you'd have, undoubtedly, respective pathological markers. There is no way that you would have any significant progression of kidney disease in four months, to the point that it would show up on a US. I might be wrong, but it just seems to be a difference in measure, as US images are a bit grainy.

Last edited by Deanne1962; 09-28-2012 at 08:47 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply