It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Kidney Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2012, 11:40 PM   #1
(male)

curtisb HB User
Smile low GFR, very high TG's for 3 years (800)

Having neglected high cholesterol (330) and high TG's (800) for at least the last three years, I just received some blood work and my MD moved my follow-up appt up to the next available slot two days from now.

Labs scores as follows:
BUN - 15
Creatinine - 1.30
Est. Creatinine Clearance - 76.4
eGFR - 59
ALT - 47
Glucose - 100
Potassium - 5.90
Billi - 1.4
Protein - 8.6
Globulin - 3.8
Auto Neutrophil - 40
Platelet Count - 175

Not really sure what scores are significant. I have no family history of diabetes or kidney disease. I did pick up a bug in Turkey in 2007 that was symptomatic of malaria. ID docs never could diagnose and I have since had 5 relapses of identical symptoms since 2007. You kind of get used to it until it looks like you now have 60% of normal kidney function and there appears to be a link between undiagnosed malaria complications and kidney disease.

Even more confusing for me is that I have a horrible family history of heart disease; G-father died at 46 (my age) of heart attack and my father had his FIRST bypass surgery at age 52.

Any thought on which comes first..high TG's then low GFR or low GFR causing high TG's? Any other help, knowledge or wise counsel is appreciated.

peace.hope.love

Dead man walk'in! :-)

Old 09-30-2012, 07:59 PM   #2
(male)

curtisb HB User
Re: low GFR, very high TG's for 3 years (800)

anyone? Bueler? Bueler.........anyone?!? [crickets chirpping...]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-30-2012, 09:58 PM   #3
(male)

Deanne1962 HB UserDeanne1962 HB UserDeanne1962 HB User

Well, Ferris, genetics are not on your side! What are you referring to with TG? Triglycerides? Insulin resistance can come along with CKD, but I am not sure if that explains your high glucose (my blood glucose has been going up with each successive blood test, also).
Your ALT is also high, at least according to my lab's breakdown.
I suspect that you might have some liver issues, and definitely kidney, which is no news to you. Do you have any symptoms? You might have developed kidney trouble from the disease you contracted, and that the unusually high cholesterol and TG might have been made higher by your kidney issue. Possibly, your kidney issue is from the high cholesterol and TG; it can happen. Your concern is in finding what kidney ailment you have and following treatment, as you have a very high chance of coronary heart disease, adding in cholesterol and TG, at the present levels. Please keep us apprised.

Last edited by Deanne1962; 09-30-2012 at 10:17 PM.

Old 10-01-2012, 12:12 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

Your creatinine being elevated and GFR low does indicate some kidney trouble. The high potassium fits with this as well. ALT is minimally elevated-most labs use 45 as upper limit. I think your high cholesterol and triglycerides are most likely the culprit as far as kidney function. The arteries to the kidneys get clogged up with fatty placque just like the arteries to the heart and elsewhere. I would ask to have a hemoglobin AIC checked (blood test) just to rule out diabetes. A one time glucose doesn't tell much. The bilirubin elevation should be checked out as well. Excess alcohol can raise your triglycerides as well as excess sugar or diabetes. I think you need a thorough workup and some serious work on getting your lipids down. Diet is the cornerstone of treatment, but with your family history and high levels, medication will most likely be needed. This is serious stuff in someone so young, so I hope you will take good care of yourself and follow up closely with medical care and recommendations to prevent this from getting worse or continuing to do damage.

Old 10-01-2012, 07:20 AM   #5
(male)

curtisb HB User

Nice catch on the Ferris reference Deanne! ha! Yes...I was talking about triglycerides (TGs) and as far as symptoms; I have periodic swelling of hands, feet, face (mostly hands/face), fatigue, leg cramps (any quick movement generally yields a cramp), high blood pressure (avg 155/100), urine foamy (can stay foamy for 20-30 minutes)...thanks for the response! Hey lady-B... I don't drink or smoke (never smoked...but back in the day I had my share of drink...ha!), I have a fairly good diet, don't eat candy/sweets...don't drink soda, do drink coffee (1-2 cups/day)...wondering on the TGs vs. kidney dysfunction you know...which comes first, the chicken or the egg? Does high TGs and cholesterol cause the kidney problems or do the kidney problems cause the high TGs? Stage of life and job has my lifestyle pretty sedentary right now, making efforts to correct this...thank you both for your time and caring enough to respond... ~ c

Old 10-01-2012, 11:14 AM   #6
(male)

curtisb HB User

hmmmm??? My primary care m.d. didn't blink an eye at my est. creatinine clearance (76.4) or my est. GFR (59)? As far as the 5.9 Potassium, she said yeah..."that is a little high"? Recommended course of action 1) treat high BP with medication 2) try to get cholesterol and TGs down (Crestor)...retest blood in 3 months?

When I asked about the eGFR and whether or not that indicated impaired kidney function; specifically, the score (59) correlating with the approximate amount of actual kidney function in percentage terms...she said nooooo your kidneys are functioning much better than 60% and said that for an accurate GFR you need a 24 collection, etc...

Old 10-01-2012, 01:52 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

Many Drs don't get too excited about a borderline low GFR, because it is calculated and not as important as some other measurements. But a creatinine of 1.33, high K+, foamy urine and swelling with high BP do point to some kidney dysfunction. Do you have to get a referral to see a nephrologist? That would be a good thing to do. I also think you need to have a urine check for protein. Protein in urine is not normal and can be a good indicator of kidney trouble.

Last edited by ladybud; 10-01-2012 at 01:55 PM. Reason: typo

The Following User Says Thank You to ladybud For This Useful Post:
curtisb (10-08-2012)
Old 10-01-2012, 09:06 PM   #8
(male)

Deanne1962 HB UserDeanne1962 HB UserDeanne1962 HB User

Tough break, Curtis. You seem to have a really good attitude, and that will take you very far. You might well be able to stabilize your condition over years. I, too, am having kidney issues, though my creatinine has only gotten up as hgh as 1.14, which gives me an eGFR of about 71. I would strongly suggest you get a 24hr creatinine, along with a Ultrasound, if possible. The 24hr might calculate a bit higher, but it is much more accurate than an eGFR, as the test also requires a blood draw. It might allay your fears to get a better bearing on the state of your kidney function. I might suggest you steer clear of statins, if at all possible! The latter can cause oxidatiive stress on your cells.

The Following User Says Thank You to Deanne1962 For This Useful Post:
curtisb (10-08-2012)
Old 10-02-2012, 07:50 PM   #9
(male)

curtisb HB User

thanks Deanne...they gave me Crestor, only 10's, but she said I would probably need 40's to get out in front of the cholesterol. 24 hour doesn't sound like a bad idea...better than waiting...not sure?

Old 10-02-2012, 07:55 PM   #10
(male)

curtisb HB User

hey Lady-B...I think if i told her to give me the referral she would. It bothers me a little when I read that, "levels higher than 6.0 constitute an emergency that requires immediate medical treatment". The nurse didn't even know what GFR was when I pointed out that mine was low?!? I don't know what to do...hate to make something out of nothing, if its nothing...plus...the cost of the "making" ain't pretty either and I pay as I go! ouch!

Reply Reply