It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Kidney Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2012, 09:51 AM   #1
(female)

peppermint72 HB User
pitting edema, left flank pain please help

Hi, first off thanks to all of you who frequent these boards I have been visiting for a long time although this is my first post! I am a 40 year old (still not used to saying that :-( ) female, and I don't have health insurance so i'm Hoping to get some advice from the resident experts here!
Since Sunday I have had severe swelling all over, worst being my feet which have pitted edema (when you push on them it takes a good couple minutes for your finger Print to completely pop back up to normal). I have gained 11 pounds since Sunday. I'm also having tingling/ numbness in my hands if I use them at all (like right now i'm losing feeling in my finger tips). But worst of all is the severe left sided mid back pain. It's so bad I cannot even stand up straight, i'm basically having to fold in half to walk at all. I do have a history of back issues for which I am on pain management but this is different, it's a dull deep deep ache, with tightness that keeps me from standing upright. Also don't know if it's related but I have been experiencing constipation (from my meds?) And last week I was unable to go to the bathroom (urine or stool) for a good 8 hours which was exceptionally scary and uncomfortable. Last but not least for the past few months I have been experiencing urinary urgency and incontinence with the worst being complete loss of control twice now. I do have wc doctor but he doesn't feel these issues are related to my injury ( he didn't know about this new swelling/pain) so I don't know what to do. We really cannot afford an er bill right now! Please please help!
Sorry looks like I posted in the wrong forum, trying to move my post now

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-10-2012, 10:12 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User
Re: pitting edema, left flank pain please help

You are seriously sick and need to go to Dr.ASAP. You could have a kidney stone, kidney infection, ovarian mass pressing on ureter and bowel, and it sounds like acute kidney failure with the pitting edema. All of this may be reversible, but you cannot afford not to go to hospital. All hospitals take patients without insurance and treat them. I would go staright to ER as you will undoubtedly need some tests done that won't be available in an office or urgent care. Please take care of yourself now before your kidneys suffer permanent damage. This is nothing to take lightly or fool around with. I am not trying to alarm you, just being honest and concerned for your wellbeing.

Old 10-10-2012, 01:03 PM   #3
(female)

peppermint72 HB User

Thank you ladybud. I guess because I dont have a high fever I figured it wasn't that urgent. I will be heading to the er as soon as someone gets home to drive me! Thanks again, I will definetly post to let you know what happens

Old 10-11-2012, 02:14 PM   #4
(female)

peppermint72 HB User

Hello, so I went to the local er last night and according to them all my blood work came back ok, only my urine showed protien, so they diagnosed me with uti. I have no pain or burning when I urinate, and I can't imagine the back pain i'm experiencing is from uti but that's all they found. I just hope these symptoms get better soon because i'm really scared that something else is wrong. Thanks again for the advice

Old 10-11-2012, 09:34 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

Did you by any chance get copies of your labs? I would call the ER and ask them to send you copies or let you pick them up for your own records. Protein in urine by itself does not mean a UTI. You have to have excess white blood cells and bacteria. Did they put you on antibiotics? You will know within 1-2 days if that is helping. I hope it does. Did they do anything else besides blood tests and a urine? I am glad you went but it sounds like you are not very confidant in the assessment.

Old 10-16-2012, 08:57 PM   #6
(female)

peppermint72 HB User

Your right im not very confident in the assessment, they did prescribe antibiotics which unfortunately isn't working, my feet/ legs are more swollen now than before...i'm trying to get my labs but no luck yet. I will let you know as things progress. I may just have to end up going to the er again as this swelling is becoming painful and i'm unable to be on my feet for more than about 20 minutes beforethe swelling increases

Old 10-16-2012, 09:34 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

I would definitely go back to the ER or at least a Dr. you know and trust. Did the ER doc to a pelvic exam? A pelvic ultrasound? When you go back, I would insist on at least a pelvic exam and ultrasound, but a CT scan would be best. Some thing must be done for you. Uti's do not cause swelling like you are describing, and with the antibiotics not working and the swelling getting worse, you definitely need rechecked. If you know a good Dr who will take this seriously and either admit you to hospital for testing or get a CT done right away, that would be good. I hope you have better luck this time. Speak up for yourself and don't let them minimize this or send you home without answers. You can ask to be admitted for testing if they don't know what is wrong. Sometimes it takes a few days of testing to find what the problem is. Since you have protein in urine, they should check your serum protein levels. Sometimes the kidneys leak so much protein (not normal) that the blood protein is very low, which contributes to the swelling.

Old 10-17-2012, 12:57 AM   #8
(female)

peppermint72 HB User

ladybud, you dont know how very very much I appreciate your responses. I am trying to apply for low cost coverage so I can get this taken care of but it takes a few days, which is why I am even considering going back to the ER. I really dont think they took me very seriously, all they did was pull some blood and do a urine test and an EKG, no ct, or ultrasound. When the docotr came in and told me that my bloodwork was all good and that I just had some protien in my urine he didnt even seem confident with the diagnosis of UTI. I did specifically ask him if my kidneys were ok and he said yes, but with the limited testing Im not so sure. He tried to say that maybe because of my lumbar herniations that a UTI could cause some excessive pressure in my back which could in turn pinch nerves thus causing the swelling. Seemed like a long shot to me, but I was so fed up and just sick of the whole ordeal I was willing to grasp on to any explantion, no matter how out there it was. I think with no insurance they just wanted to do the bare minimum and get me outta there! So hopefully I will be approved for this low cost program and not end up back in the ER...keep your fingers crossed. Thank you again for your advice, I dont really have anyone in my corner who is willing to help me stay strong and stand up to these doctors, so your encouragement really means a lot!

Old 10-17-2012, 09:49 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

I hope your insurance comes through quickly and you get this checked out thoroughly. His explanation makes no sense, so your "long shot" assessment was right on. You seem to have good instincts, so I think you will know when the work up is on the right track. Let us know how this turns out. You are probably right also about them wanting to do the minimum because of no insurance, which is totally unethical. That issue will be resolved next time, so you should get better care, and hopefully a different Dr.

Reply Reply