It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Kidney Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2012, 10:58 AM   #1
(female)

Talulla11 HB User
Smile right kidney removal

hi all, i am new to this forum, but thank god you are all here for me to read bout your experinces.
just over three weeks ago i have had to have a radical nephrectomy. This is because they found a 2cm tumor on my right kidney.The surgeon told me he also had lots of adhesions to cut through, they had attached them selves from bowel to stomach. I had a laporoscopy. I think my recovery is going well. Im not on any more pain relief, I only take some if I have over done it in the day. Im an active person, but dont go to the gym or anything like that. Im really pleased its all over because i was pertrified. the anthesists really helped calm me(must have been sumthing they put in my hand) lol but they used reassuring and comforting words. I woke in HDU, was there for 2 days, i didnt stay 1 full day on the ward, i was allowed to go home. I give myself the goal to get up and mobile as soon as it was possible. Thats my advice, get up, no matter how painful.when i was on the ward i had my meals in the tv room,so i had to walk. I think the more active I was, the more positive i became. I have a consultants appt on thursday for my results. But i dont care because i know it was cancerous, that it is contained.
I want to send hugs to all who have had to go through what i went through. I know its not easy. Im still off work and am giving myself time to recover, so am not thinking bout returning anytime soon. could be after christmas.
I would appreciate anyone who can enlighten me on what i should be eating now, if there is any such thing as a special diet. I have already cut out salt completely.
Thank you all who have posted about their experiences,it has helped me and shown me that not everyone is the same.
talulla11

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: Talulla11
Reeniepots (10-22-2012), stoney932 (10-23-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-01-2012, 05:16 AM   #2
(female)

sweetfemale HB Usersweetfemale HB User
Re: right kidney removal

I was told that because my left kidney was working well enough (89%), there was no need to take any dietary precautions but had to be careful with some painkillers, although i tend to stick to paracetamol and occasionally take ibruprofen! x

Old 11-04-2012, 01:50 PM   #3
(female)

Talulla11 HB User
Smile Re: right kidney removal

hi sweetfemale, thank you for your reply. I too only take parcetomal. I was told to stay off alot of anti inflammatories such as volteral and diclofenic. My tummy cannot tolerate any ibrupofen, so i dont take it. I wasnt told to take dietry precautions but i have cut down on salt, big time!!!. I was just wondering if there was a self help dietry plan to stop stones etc., dont wanna end up with my only kidney having any problems.

Old 11-14-2012, 01:32 PM   #4
(female)

Talulla11 HB User
Unhappy Re: right kidney removal

tomorrow i will be 7 weeks post surgery. i have had a headcold for a week now and with all the sneezing and coughing, im experiencing some discomfort and tenderness beside or on my wounds,(i cannot tell) but is this normal to still be in sum discomfort this far post surgery? i still have pain in my back as well, right flank, same side where i had my kidney out. how much longer. I still cant walk too far. I seem to get like a body fatigue. I was just wondering if this is normal or is it cos of all the sneezing and coughin i am doin. Plus i have to ring consultant tomorrow to see if i need more treatment.
Thanks for the support and replies. i appreciate it.

Old 12-16-2012, 07:24 PM   #5
(female)

karmasite HB User

Hi I was very grateful to read your experience I am going to have my rt kidney removed on Dec 27 and am petrified how was yr pain level? did i understand correctly you left after one day?? I understand I will be in for 3days pleez any other infor would be appreciated Thanks

The following user gives a hug of support to karmasite:
Talulla11 (01-07-2013)
Old 01-02-2013, 01:58 PM   #6
Inactive
(male)

pebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB Userpebblebeach3 HB User

Hi. Not sure if I can be of a lot of help, but wanted to share my story.

I am 59 years old. When I was 35 years old I went thru some testing for what we thought at the time was kidney stones. To make a long story short my problem was not kidney stones. But what we did find was interesting. We found that I was born with 1 (one) kidney. It was a congenital condition.

Initially I was extremely concerned as most people would be. Initially I was told not to worry. There are a lot of people who are born with one kidney and living normal lives. The one kidney I did have was larger then normal since it was functioning for 2 kidney.s

Strange thing, years later my older sister found out that she too was born with one kidney. We were both missing the left kidney. To my knowledge she has no kidney issues whatsoever.

But my case is different. I eventually developed kidney issues. It was felt that the initial problem with the 1 kidney was the fact that I did have hypertension and that eventually affected the one kidney.

But to complicate matters, I am now diabetic and have been for 9 years. My doctor feels that eventually the kidney will be affected by my diabetes.

What does the future have in store for me? I do not know. Just happens that I saw my nephrologist today and some of the blood work has worsened.

But in my case with 1 kidney and kidney disease in the one that I do have, I have to be careful of the medications that I take. I am on pain medication due to severe spine issues and I am limited on what I can or cannot take. I cannot take NSAID's.

Also when an MRI is done I cannot have contrast used in the testing process.

I would discuss with your nephrologist in details of the do's and don'ts in your case. Keeping your blood pressure under control is extremely important.

I wish you luck. Just remember lots of people can live with 1 functioning kidney and they can live normal lives. Just take precautions. I never thought I would end up with kidney disease, but I did and have to deal with it at this point in my life.

Old 01-07-2013, 05:12 PM   #7
(female)

Talulla11 HB User

dear Karmasite, i replied to your post but looking on here i seem to have done sumthing other than post it.......typical me lol, anyway i really hope your surgery went well and ur well on the way to a full recovery. please let me know of ur experience and how you r managing.
just to let u know ur not on ur own.
take care and god bless

Reply Reply