It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Kidney Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2012, 11:12 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

TinoRock HB UserTinoRock HB UserTinoRock HB UserTinoRock HB UserTinoRock HB UserTinoRock HB UserTinoRock HB User
CKD Stage 3! Could my GFR have been affected by lithium toxicity? help...

After decades of lithium therapy, and a healthy blood creatinine score, my creatinine read 1.1, and I was sent to a nephrologist. I had to wait three months to see him, and he estimated my GFR at 60/61, and ordered all tests, blood, urine (24 hr clearance), u/sound, etc.

I saw him two mos. later, but right before I had all these labs done, I was extremely ill for 3 weeks, and at the end of these illnesses, had dehydration & lithium toxicity that was just barely "cleared-up" before doing all labs & 24 creat clear test. Suddenly, when I see my Dr., my blood creat is 1.6 and I have a GFR of 32 (uh-oh). (I'm now off lithium.)

My Dr. is retesting everything except the 24-urine & I see him in January.
Can the kidneys really tank this quickly? Could the lingering lithium toxicity have affected my GFR in a misleading way? I'm so worried it's getting hard to sleep -- so much anxiety. Any input would be appreaciated. Thank you!

Old 11-02-2012, 03:58 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Cora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB User
Re: CKD Stage 3! Could my GFR have been affected by lithium toxicity? help...

Don't underestimate the effects of dehydration on your labwork. Mine can vary a great deal if I'm not drinking enough. The lithium toxicity may have somewhat damaged your kidneys, but I strongly suspect that the next labwork will show a decrease in the cr. Don't go by the eGFR too much. The "e" stands for estimated and it assumes a certain size in the person being tested. It's not that accurate for people with a lot of muscle mass or women. Go more by the trends in your creatinine over time.

At this point you only have very slight damage, so try to relax a bit. Feel free to ask lots of questions too though.

The Following User Says Thank You to Cora1003 For This Useful Post:
TinoRock (11-03-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-03-2012, 02:45 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

TinoRock HB UserTinoRock HB UserTinoRock HB UserTinoRock HB UserTinoRock HB UserTinoRock HB UserTinoRock HB User

Thanks so much for your reply, I feel better already just reading it. I'm obviously new to the world of CKD and it seems there is a lot to learn... I need to familiarize myself with the "results scales", diet guides, etc. Do you (or anyone else) know if the creatine clearance (24 hr) test would give a much different answer if one takes it, say, the first time when still super "lithium-thirsty" (much volume output) as opposed to now, when I'm off the lithium, drinking and expelling a more normal amount of urine? I see my regular Dr. on Friday & wonder if it's worth re-doing then, or re-doing in Jan with my nephrologist, (who ordered other tests, but not that one to be repeated), or should I just focus on blood creatinine results for the time being...Many thanks again for your reassuring reply!!!

Last edited by TinoRock; 11-03-2012 at 02:47 AM.

Old 11-03-2012, 06:03 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Cora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB User

I wouldn't bother repeating too much. At this point, you are probably only going to see the neph once or twice a year. In the early stages things progress typically very slowly (if they progress at all) so you will be looking at trends over years, not just a couple of months. And since you are no longer on the lithium, your levels may stabilize where they are at now.

Best of luck.

Old 11-04-2012, 02:16 AM   #5
(female)

RhondiCee HB User

Hi,

I'm stage three too due to lithium damage.. My urine flows back up into my kidneys due to lithium scarring..I cant think right now of the name of it..

Reply Reply

Tags
gfr, kidney, lithium toxicity