HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Kidney Disorders (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/kidney-disorders/)
-   -   worried about creatinine increase (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/kidney-disorders/927227-worried-about-creatinine-increase.html)

jocotter 11-12-2012 02:30 PM

worried about creatinine increase

My creatinine has been steady for a few years at about 1.6, but last month it jumped to 2.0, which the doctor's assistant said put me in stage 4. Yikes! I have an appointment again to check it in a month. Is it likely to go up just as a fluke? I am sort of worried about it. I only saw the PA when I got the results and am still waiting to see the doctor.

Cora1003 11-12-2012 02:59 PM

Re: worried about creatinine increase

Try to relax a bit. A jump from 1.6 to 2.0 is not a big deal. I wouldn't read too much into the stages either. I didn't go on dialysis until my creatinine was about 10 or 11. Kidney readings fluctuate quite easily. You could have been a bit dehydrated, or you could have been getting a bit more exercise (muscle mass and exercise will raise your cr.). It's trends over time (months and years) that you want to watch out for. I don't think I buy the "stage 4" either. What would I have been at 10? Stage 20?

Ask to have the lab repeated and make sure you drink enough before hand. It might be a real increase, or just a fluctuation. And you are still in very early stages of kidney issues.

Deanne1962 11-13-2012 01:35 AM

Creatine levels lower eGFR in a non-linear manner. That is to say, that as creatinine levels increase in a blood serum sample, there is a drop in percentage of kidney function, however, this drop of eGFR might be more meaningful, say between 1.0 to 1.5, than between 1.5-2.0. The latter is what is meant by a non-linear drop in kidney function.
Although hydration and strenuous exercise prior to your blood draw can have a noticeable affect on your GFR reading (I measured .14 lower on my creatinine measure, from one month to the next, by following the hydrating advice as Cora has offered you). That said, however, you still want to keep track of the trends in your GFR over time. It is altogether possible that you have had a drop in kidney function, all things being equal. I am not sure what a .4 rise in your creatinine level might signal, but that can be as much as a 10 point drop in GFR. I went from a GFR of 93, in July of 2010, prior to a surgical procedure, down to as low as 71, then, back up again, to 79-82, where it has stayed more or less stable for the last couple of years.
The kidneys are the kind of organ that can do a lot of filtering with little healthy tissue, and one might not feel any noticeable symptoms until well over half of kidney function is gone. I am crossing my fingers that my kidney ailment is greatly slowed or stopped, and all indications, like BP, urinalyses, and electrolyte counts, tell me that I am stable. You can do the same to preserve kidney function with a few modifications. Good Luck!

jocotter 11-13-2012 10:26 AM

Thank you to both of you for your encouraging posts. It does seem odd that going to a 2.0 is grounds for stage 4, but when you put my age (61) and that creatinine level in the GFR calculator, it comes out that way. I think it is about 29 or so. I am going to my family doctor today and may ask her to retest it.