It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Kidney Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2012, 08:26 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

thefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB User
Possible Kidney Failure? Chronic Kidney Disease?

Hi everyone...
I've been trying to figure out what is wrong with me. I've had problems for 14 yrs. Diagnosed 2 yrs ago with Chronic Fatigue & Fibromyalgia.
Here's the thing... I am always in pain & over the last 3 yrs, it's only gotten worst & worst. Fatigue is awful & often so lethargic. I deal with migrain like headaches. Ive complained of edema for a long time & my drs are never worried. But what I don't understand is the vomiting. I blaimed fibro at first. Then figured it was my body's way of dealing with pain. It's gotten so bad now that I spent my life on my couch. I have 4 kids & we have a farm. I do my best & do everything I can. But it is so hard! I just never feel well!
The vomiting can be so bad I can't keep anything down for upto 15 hrs... I may be up sick all night, not sick all day, then sick again that night. I documented my vomiting issues in hopes my dr would take me serious. I vomited 28 times in 1 month.
Anyhow, had bloodwork & a GI ultrasound recently. All ok except with liver slightly elavated... I'm going in for a abdominal ultrasound in a couple days... But I decided to do some research & I have the symptoms of chronic kidney disease. So I'm worried... Should I call my doctors office & ask them to run blood tests on my liver? Would a abdominal ultrasound be enough to diagnose chronic kidney disease?
Back injury~ 2005
Severe Degenerative Disk, Arthritis, Mild Scoliosis.
Fibromyalgia diagnosed 2009
Neuropathy
Migraines?

Old 11-14-2012, 03:00 AM   #2
(male)

Deanne1962 HB UserDeanne1962 HB UserDeanne1962 HB User
Re: Possible Kidney Failure? Chronic Kidney Disease?

You do not share any recent tests with their results. How is your hypothyroid being looked after? What are you on for it? What makes you suspect that you have kidney issues, rather than liver and thyroid issues, which your symptoms are strongly suggesting. Do you have high BP, diabetes, a family history of Kidney disease, or, any immune system issue that could have had a systemic effect? It seems that you have not been very proactive with digging through clutter and getting down to brass tacks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-14-2012, 09:16 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

thefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB User

I don't bother with results because I can never figure out how to read them. If the doctor says its normal I believe them. I often have a hard time concentrations & very forgetful so can't always focus enough to research like I want.
I have 1 Rhumetologist close by, a better one 2 hrs away, a Primary who has been trying to help me figure what else is going on then I have another family doctor I see for my thyroid. Thyroid is level, I take Armour Thyroid which I've always done best on.
My Liver is slightly elevated. I have my liver tested every few months because I take meds & this is the first time it's been not normal.
I've also seen 2 Nuerologist & an endocrynologists among other misc docs.
I am trying to get in to another doc to have more accurate tests done to test for Lyme Disease. I have had negative bloodwork for Sjogrens so trying to get a lip biopsy. Both of them are very close in symptoms & either one is a possibility for me. Both cause pain, fatigue, vomiting, dry eyes & mouth, ect.
No High Blood pressure, diabetes is in the family but I'm negative, I'm tested or lupus & RA yearly & so far they are negative.
I have been very proactive in digging through the clutter since 1999, just before my 19th birthday. First I was hit with extreme fatigue then a dissociative disorder called derealization about a month later. Spent the next 11 yrs seeing numerous doctors & tons of research trying to figure out what was wrong with me. Then I finally got some answers. But found that vomiting is not normal & not part of Fibro. So now been trying to figure out why I get so sick. I've been so sick that I'm afraid I just won't wake up some morning. Have been tested for everything right down to a nerve test, test for seizures, sleep study, MRI for ms & tons of bloodwork.
I stumbled upon Chronic Kidney Disease yesterday & surprised the symptoms are so much like mine. Unfortunetly all I did was scare myself but at the same time it seems the only way I can find answers is by digging up info & going to a doctor.
I had the GI ultrasound & more bloodwork last week. My dr called yesterday I tell me they didn't find anything except for the liver alittle off. So she schedualed a Abdominal Ultrasound for tomorrow.
Unfortunetly I have almost 14 yrs of doctors not taking me serious & the ones that do seem to not know what to do. Atleast a finally found a dr who is really listening & trying.
I have constant low back pain but I have a bad disk so blaim that. I have lots of itching the last few yrs but who doesn't? I have full body pain, the worst I always in my neck, always there just changes in how bad the pain is. Pain is in my muscles & joints. I get migrain like headaches. I vomit usually with the headaches but I vomit without them also. Always have a mild head pressure. Had allergy testing before which was fine & the MRI. Something is causing the vomiting. It used to be every once in awhile but now it happens more & more. My eyes burn & over water & other times so dry my eye lids irritate my eyes. I often drink water & my mouth is still so dry feeling. This is why I've checked for Sjogrens & Diabetes but both ok... But the lip biopsy is more accurate which is why I want that.
Anyhow, I have been very proactive in my health & doing everything I can. We eat healthy, no fast foods, no fried food, buy corn chips or pop hardly ever, only as a treat. We raise our own animals, fruit & veggies. I keep sodium low. I am sensitive to salt. I have had edema issues for years but not enough to worry doctors I guess. My face is fuller, moon face & worst if I eat much salt.
I'm doing my best. It not easy trying to raise 4 kids, have a farm & always feel like I have the flu, never feel well, chronic pain, fatigue. It's tough. I built our farm raising farm & game birds, loved it. But became too much as I got sicker so have had to give it all up. Can't afford our medical bills & too sick to bring in an income. So my husband has the burden of bringing in all the income. With finances & me always like this, it's been very tough on our relationship. It's very frustraiting. But all I can do is keep digging & hope to figure out what is making me worst so I can manage it.
Back injury~ 2005
Severe Degenerative Disk, Arthritis, Mild Scoliosis.
Fibromyalgia diagnosed 2009
Neuropathy
Migraines?

Last edited by thefarm; 11-14-2012 at 09:23 AM.

Old 11-14-2012, 04:01 PM   #4
(male)

Deanne1962 HB UserDeanne1962 HB UserDeanne1962 HB User

I strongly doubt kidney disease. You need to dig deeper. I suspect the fibro and your fatigue are definitely connected. The vomiting is a puzzle, but as I said, there is no reason to believe that it is your kidneys. If your vomiting were kidney related, you'd have a lot other symptoms related to renal failure, and that just doesn't seem to be the case. I understand how sickness and marriage can be like water and oil; but if your husband loves you, this will be no big deal!

Old 11-14-2012, 04:48 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User

Kidney disease is easily detected from blood work. With all the testing and blood tests that you have had, kidney disease would have likely been the detected immediately.

Your creatinine levels, protein leaking into the urine, your GFR...all these levels reflect your kidney health. They would certainly throw up a red flag if found to be in elevated levels by any doctor or by any lab.

Kidney disease is often free of symptoms, as i am in end stage kidney disease, and have no noticeable symptoms. Even with my kidneys operating at less than 25% capacity, I do not feel sick or look sick.

My kidney disease is due to hypertension, which I developed at a very young age, and was very resistant to medicaition. Eventually I have 4 strokes and the kidney failure was at its worse. With better control of my blood pressure, I have actually been able to improve my kidney funtion, but do rely on many medications and careful health management to keep myself at least risk.

At your next doctors appointment, just ask your doctor you kidney function, and you can learn for yourself how your kidneys are doing. Kidney damage is a very slow process as well, so most of us have lots of time to modify our lifestyles to keep our kidneys as healthy as possible.

do not give up until you find the answer for you, it si our there, and only when you know the correct diagnosis, can you treat the issues properly. My best to you...

Janet

Reply Reply