It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Kidney Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2012, 11:18 AM   #1
(female)

kari56 HB User
Stent agony

Hey all-

Had my first lipo., urteroscopy and stent placement on Wednesday (dec 5). They were able to get the stone (4mm) so that's good news. This is my 7th or 8th stone in the past few years (always passed on their own).

Anyhow, I also have severe IC so this stent is really killing me. I've been given perscriptions for vicodin, percaset, keterlorac, dialuid and norco just in the past 3 days alone. Nothing is helping with this pain. I can get about 2-3 hours of relief and that's it. I called and BEGGED the dr to take the stent out 3 times now, he refused. Said it won't be removed until Dec 17.

Honestly it's becoming a mental health issue at times- I've been in constant pain for 3 days and sometimes just don't feel like I can continue this.

I absolutely understand why the stent is there and respect his opinion from a medical standpoint. HOWEVER, I'm in agony. And not to mention, I start a new job on Monday and have a 2.5 year old.

Thoughts??? I can't live like this

Old 12-11-2012, 03:34 PM   #2
(male)

Durarv HB User
Re: Stent agony

I feel for you and know what you are going thru. I had a ureteroscopy 5 days ago for a 6mm stone. When I woke up I had the miserable pain and feeling like you need to urinate really really bad or similiar to having a very very bad bladder infection. I was told that the dr. was only able to get part of the stone and the rest of it went back up into the kidney. I don't know how this is even possible but that was the explanation I got. Was told to go in to his office the following monday to discuss having lithotripsy for the remaing stone fragment. So, I got all the misery along with a stent but didn't get my problem taken care of. I have litho scheduled for this thursday and then i'm sure i'll have to keep the stent for another week making my stent time about 2 weeks. I've had stones for many years and have never done well with stents and usually ask that they not put a stent in unless absolutely necessary. In the past I ended up in the ER anytime I had stents and had to have them removed. I was told that the stents are improved these days and softer and don't cause as much problems as the older ones. I can say i've been able to keep this one for 5 days now but it's been miserable. I've had blood with my urine every day. I hurt and have been taking pain pills constantly to manage. I tried to stop but I was too miserable. If I get active it makes it worse. Since this all take takes days to get thru i'm trying to work and just sitting up hurts badly. One thing that really gets me are that doctors don't want to prescribe strong pain medicine. It's unbelievable and very frustrating to me. If there is one time in your life you need it, it's now and yet they will only give you a few and many times will give you the lower strength narcotic medicine which just doesn't take care of the pain for me. I've had stones for many years and it seems the pain medicine that worked for me 20 years ago doesn't do much of anything now. I can't understand why they prescribe lortab 5mg after a ureteroscopy or Litho when there is the 10 mg strength. Honestly for me the Lortab(Hydrocodone) doesn't do much of anything. I don't know why they don't just go ahead and prescibe something really strong that will stop you from being miserable. Percocet or dilaudid etc. It's not like you will be able to get these meds indefinitely when this is all over. So why not give you the strong stuff to stop your pain and ease your misery and give you enough to last. I've gone thru the kidney stone situation many times and I used to just accept what the doctor gave me even if I stayed in agony because it wasn't helping. Now, however when I get a weak pain medicine prescribed I will immediately bring it up and call the dr. office if necessary and tell them it's not helping and I need something stronger. Also if you manage to take all 20 they give you (suppossed to last for several weeks) you feel like you are a drug addict when you call to tell them you are out. It's all very frustrating and just another miserable thing to have to deal with at a time when you are already dealing with some of the worst misery of your life from the kidney stone and/or stent.

As far as your situation with the stent, I can't believe the doctor would refuse to take it out if it's causing that much misery. I've had them taken out before when they were that bad. I would end up going to the Emergency Room and telling them I couldn't handle the pain. I would think they would either look into admitting you and having it removed or at least keeping you in the hospital for pain control (giving pain med thru iv).
Good luck. Hope things are better by now.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply