It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Kidney Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2013, 10:49 AM   #1
(male)

flowmole HB User
Tovalpton aka Samsca

I just started taking Samsca on December 26th... My doctor wanted me to try this drug to help with my Polycystic Kidney Disease.. I am currently taking 15 mg a day.. I have noticed an increase in urination, also an increase in thirst.. I have been drinking about 5 water bottles a day not to mention a soda or iced tea throughout the day.. I am currently doing blood work every week to see how if there are any changes.. I could only imagine being on 60 or 90 mg a day.. Hopefully it will help control cyst growth on my kidneys and help stablize my kidney function.. Anyway else out there on the drug noticed any positive results????

Old 03-11-2013, 06:39 PM   #2
(female)

hjc1970 HB User
Re: Tovalpton aka Samsca

I'm suprised your doctor was able to prescribe it. Mine (in NY) just told me that she tried to prescribe it to a patient for PKD but was not yet allowed to. I am taking 60 mg in the morning and 30 mg at night- about 8 hours between the am and pm doses. The minimal dose for the trial is 45 in the morning and 15 at night, so I don't know if 15 mg per day will work or not, but drinking a lot of WATER (not soda, caffeinated beverages, or sugary beverages) may very well have a positive effect. My kidney function has remained stable (creatinine 1.0) and my bp has been stable. My MRI results haven't been released to me yet, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it is working!
One thing to be aware of is a possibility of the drug causing elevated liver enzymes. In the study, the recently began requiring monthly labwork to check on liver function/enzymes.
The thirst does eventually ease up, but I do always have to plan my day allowing for bathroom stops every 1 1/2 - 2 hours!
Good luck with it.

Last edited by Administrator; 03-11-2013 at 06:49 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply