It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Kidney Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2013, 04:14 PM   #1
(female)

Amanda802 HB User
Unhappy Kidney stones while 5 months pregnant

I'm sure anyone who has had kidney stones knows when they get them again. This is the same for me. I have had 3 different episodes with kidney stones in the last year, and am currently suffering with another one. The problem this time is that I'm pregnant; so they cannot do the proper imaging tests to determine the size and location. My OB knows my history with kidney stones and with the pain I have been having she is sure that's what it is, and I am as well.

In the last week, I have been to ER three times because the vicodin and muscle relaxers weren't working well enough for the pain I was having. The first two times, they gave me IV meds, I believe dilaudid the first time and fentanyl the second. The problem is that each time I go in they do an ultrasound (because that's all that my OB will allow while pregnant) and they can't find anything. The only reason I go to ER is when the pain becomes completely intolerable and the medicine I have isn't enough.

Well the third time I went this week, on Friday morning, the ER doctor treated me horribly! He acted as though I was a drug addict seeking my next high or something. He authorized two shots of dilaudid, but that didn't do enough for me, my pain level was still unbearable. Then they did another ultrasound and he tells me there's no way that I have kidney stones and that if it is anything, it is a muscle strain.

I know what kidney stones feel like! I was so offended and mad because he wouldn't give me anything else to help with the pain I was in that I just asked to be unhooked from everything and then I had my husband take me home. I couldn't believe that happened, because my OB told me that if the pain got that bad again that ER was where I should go so they could give me stronger IV meds, because it is dangerous for me to be in that much pain as it could cause me to go into preterm labor.

Anyway, the pain got to that point again this weekend, but I refused to go in because they made me feel so horrible. I saw my OB again today and she said that I should be able to go there when the pain gets that bad, and that she is sure it is not just a muscle strain. Gave me stronger prescriptions for vicodin and more muscle relaxers, hoping that will help the pain more and instructed higher fluid intake to help the sucker pass. She also referred me to a urologist that I should be able to see this week to determine a plan if it doesn't pass soon, as it has already been a week of this.

What can I do if it gets so bad again that I feel I need IV meds? I seriously am disgusted with how I was treated last time I went to ER and don't want to go through that again! But it's bad for me and my baby to be in so much pain. Is there any alternative ideas for pain relief anyone has? I've tried ice and heat but they don't seem to dull the pain when it gets so extreme.

I feel like I'm going crazy this time around because the doctors can't see what's causing me so much pain, all they can do is assume. But I know the pain I'm feeling, and I know it is kidney stones. Anyway, I was just hoping someone had some advice for other ways to handle the pain than running to ER for IV meds. Thanks for listening!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-25-2013, 03:34 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

lizzy76 HB User
Re: Kidney stones while 5 months pregnant

I'm sorry you had that horrible experience in the ER. I've had chronic kidney stones for the past decade and have had really great ER docs and have also had some real jerks who, like what you experienced, assume I'm there for the drugs. I don't have any alternative pain management suggestions for you - I wish I knew of something so I could avoid the ER at those times too, but so far nothing else has worked for me during those extreme pain moments other than the IV meds.

But, I do have a suggestion on how you may be able to avoid that same ER situation again. Whenever I have a kidney stone I go to the hospital that my urologist is affiliated with and they can page him when I get there if there are any problems or issues that come up (I've had some stones get stuck and needed surgery for them, or in your case the issue sounds like a pain management issue). That way your urologist can basically give the attending ER doc med orders for you instead of you having to rely on the jerk ER doc who may or may not believe that you have a kidney stone. Your urologist can also have you admitted to the hospital if he feels that your pain would be better managed that way, depending on the situation. I would assume your OB could do the same, but I only have experience working with urology on this stuff so I'm not sure.

I don't know if you've already had your appointment with the urologist but this might be something to ask him about. I hope you're feeling better!

Old 02-01-2013, 10:34 AM   #3
(female)

Amanda802 HB User
Re: Kidney stones while 5 months pregnant

I had my appointment with the urologist and he said that I did pass one kidney stone, sent to the lab to be analyzed, but he said that can take a couple weeks. In addition, he told me that I have hydronephrosis in my right kidney from the baby and how my uterus is tilted to the right. Anyone know if this is something to be worried about? He told me that it is likely that as my pregnancy progresses I could feel pain on my right side similar to the pain of kidney stones; from the increasing pressure of my uterus on my right ureter.

Has anyone been diagnosed with hydronephrosis during pregnancy? If so did you end up with pain or any significant problems? He freaked me out because if it does get much worse it is likely to continue until I have my baby, and I just can't stand thinking that I might be in constant pain until after the baby is born.

Any advice appreciated!

Reply Reply

Tags
kidney stones, pregnancy, pregnant