It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Kidney Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2013, 11:57 AM   #1
(female)

grayfox HB Usergrayfox HB Usergrayfox HB User
Question Has anyone with Chronic Kidney Disease taken Ranitidine (generic for Zantac)?

Hi,

I had an upper endoscopy and the doctor found two gastric ulcers, erosion of my esophagus and gastritis. Not happy! He wants me to take Ranitidine at a high dose for 30 thirty days to see if my ulcers will start to heal. I have chronic kidney disease, stage 4 with an egfr of 18, and I am wondering if anyone with chronic kidney disease has taken this medicine and if you experienced any major side effects. He put me on a proton pump inhibitor but I couldn't stand the stomach cramps and had to stop taking it.

Thanks in advance for any posts.

Grayfox

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-28-2013, 12:04 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Cora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB User
Re: Has anyone with Chronic Kidney Disease taken Ranitidine (generic for Zantac)?

I would check with both your nephrologist and the pharmacist. They would be the best source. I was on something similar, but that was after my transplant, so I can't comment on the kidney issues. I have all the issues you mentioned - so best of luck.

The Following User Says Thank You to Cora1003 For This Useful Post:
grayfox (01-28-2013)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-28-2013, 07:11 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

noevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB User
Re: Has anyone with Chronic Kidney Disease taken Ranitidine (generic for Zantac)?

You could also ask your pharmacist, cathy

Old 02-14-2013, 09:39 AM   #4
(female)

Unhappy Re: Has anyone with Chronic Kidney Disease taken Ranitidine (generic for Zantac)?

Hi,

Just thought I would give you an update. I checked with my pharmacist about the dosage for ranitidine and she advised it is an extremely high dosage for someone with CKD, stage 4 and to check with my nephrologist. My nephrologist felt it was safe. I started having extreme dizziness, short of breath, weak, and pain in my kidney (I only have one), so I went to my doctor and he ordered blood work. Long story short, my creatinine jumped from 2.6 to 3.1 as of yesterday with an egfr of 15. I was told to stop the medicine immediately by my nephrologist. I have to go back for a repeat blood test in two weeks. I am extremely upset because I questioned my nephrologist repeatedly about the high dose since the pharmacist thought it was too much for my kidney to filter. He has always made correct decisions about my kidney disease but something went very wrong. I have maintained a creatinine of 2.6 - 2.7 for three and a half years since my other kidney was removed because of cancer.

Grayfox

Old 02-14-2013, 11:09 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Cora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB UserCora1003 HB User

I'm sorry to hear that your kidney issues have progressed. It is possible that the drugs help this along. On the other hand, given that you have been stable for so long, it is also possible that it was simply time. Unfortunately, there is no way to know. Even though you have been so stable, I'm sorry to say that you were bound to have a bit of a slip eventually. The kidneys are valiant little organs. They work so hard, and sometimes that hard work takes a toll no matter what you do.

Take heart, it is possible that once you stop the med (keeping hydrated, as you well know) your levels may go back down. I hope so. Please keep us posted.

grayfox (02-14-2013)
Old 03-09-2013, 09:55 AM   #6
(female)

Smile Re: Has anyone with Chronic Kidney Disease taken Ranitidine (generic for Zantac)?

Hi everyone,

Update: Good news! My creatinine level has gone down from 3.1 to 2.9 and my egfr is now 16. For those of you who are not familiar with creatinine levels, even a small decrease is significant. Looks like it was the medicine that was prescribed for my stomach ulcers and excessive acid problem. I am supposed to have another blood test in about three weeks to see if there is any further decrease. I am now taking prilosec 10mg and hope my kidney can filter this one and not increase my creatinine level again. I have been taking it for ten days and haven't noticed any problems.

Thanks for your responses, I really appreciate it. I do realize that my creatinine levels may not return to the previous levels I had before taking the medicine, but I am trying to be positive and hopeful they may continue to improve.

Grayfox

Old 03-09-2013, 01:24 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi Grayfox. I'm glad to hear your cr. has gone down. I found on a couple of occasions that I dropped after taking a hit from meds or something else that didn't agree with me. Keep us posted on how you are doing stomach wise as well as kidney-wise.

grayfox (03-09-2013)
Reply Reply