It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Kidney Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2013, 05:04 PM   #1
(female)

MoTN313 HB User
Floating Kidney, after surgery

About a year ago I started having flank pain in my right side. I have suffered from kidney stones in the past, so I assumed I was having a stone issue, or an infection. After having a test or two, and being referred to a Urologist for an Ultrasound and then an IVP, I was told my kidneys looked great!

I continued to have the pain, and it was progressively getting worse. Strangely I found it was especially connected/related to being on my feet, standing, doing housework, running errands, etc. The best thing to "fix" my pain was simply to lie flat on my back. Nothing else worked. From doctors guessing and ordering many tests, blood work, CTs, ultrasounds--thinking it was everything from gallstones to a pulled muscle, I was about to be at my wits end!

Months later, when I was about to give up, I was googling my symptoms, crossing my fingers to find something that matched. I found this crazy condition called floating kidney. Doctors laughed at me, however finally I found a gracious Urologist who had dealt with the condition before. He ordered me a "standing" IVP, and yep, my kidney was falling all the way into my pelvis upon standing.

So... within a week the Urologist squeezed me into his surgery schedule and I was having a laparoscopic Nephropexy preformed.

I felt wonderful for 2 or 3 months, after the initial healing. However, slowly my abdominal/flank pain returned.

I'm at the point where my pain is as bad as before my surgery. I was convinced my kidney dropped again. The Urologist ordered a follow-up IVP "standing," however the films revealed that there was absolutely no ptosis of my kidney.

Has anyone else has any of these same issues following a Nephropexy? I'm in pain on a daily basis. As long as I lie around all day I'm fine, but that is no life to live! I am a stay at home mom, and my baby has turned into a toddler, and lying around isn't really an option.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply