It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Kidney Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2013, 09:47 PM   #1
(female)

Arkayngyl HB User
Help Please

Hello to all,
I've been having some pain in my right lower abdomen right under the ribs and the pain goes around to the back.

I recently went to the doctor and he ran labs on me. When the labs came back I went to get copies and saw that my Creatinine, Serum levels were high and my eGFR If NonAfricn AM were low and my eGFR If Africn Am were also low.

I gather the doctor is not to concerned with these levels being high/low as he has not called me to say anything about it. I do have a follow up in March.

I did a bit of research on these labs and from what I found it all points to kidney disease.

I'm just wondering if anyone has had levels like this before? If so what did it mean?
This is so scary and hope it isn't kidney disease
Here's what the labs read.

Creatinine, Serum 1.53......range 0.57 - 1.00
eGFR If NonAfricn AM 38.......range >59
eGFR If Africn Am 44......range >59
Bun 15......range 6 - 24

Thank you

Last edited by Arkayngyl; 02-20-2013 at 09:48 PM.

Old 02-21-2013, 08:39 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User
Re: Help Please

Although your kidney dysfunction is mild, it definitely needs checked out. It is a good idea when a lab abnormality shows up for the first time to repeat it and in this case, get a urine analysis done with micro exam, not just a dipstick, to see if anything shows up in your urine. If still elevated, I would see a nephrologist for further evaluation. Your pain may be totally unrelated, like from gallbladder problems. An abdominal ultrasound would check your gallbladder and allow your kidneys to be seen as well. I would ask for that too.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-21-2013, 02:10 PM   #3
(female)

Arkayngyl HB User

I had my gallbladder remove back in 1999.

My doctor does have me scheduled for an MRI w/contrast March 15th. He scheduled the MRI because I have Hepatitis C
He said he wants to check to make sure I don't have any cyst, tumors or liver cancer on my liver.

This is a new Gastro doctor I saw so he wants to do a full check-up on me, and I'm glad he wants to do the MRI of my whole abdomen.

This pain I've had started back in November 2012. It's really not pain so to speak it's more of a heavy dis-comfort on the right hand side just under the ribs radiating to the back where my right kidney is.
November 7th thru November 11th my urine was darker than normal and I had bloating in the abdomen on and off for about 2 months.
My urine has not returned back to dark since November.

As of middle January the bloating has not come back. I do have slight dis-comfort in the right ab area on and off, some days I feel fine and others days some slight dis-comfort.

I'm 55 and as I've read your kidneys do slow as we age, would my age have anything to do with my symptoms I wonder?

LOL...guess maybe it's my time to start falling apart at the seams!

Thank you for your reply,,

Ark

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybud View Post
Although your kidney dysfunction is mild, it definitely needs checked out. It is a good idea when a lab abnormality shows up for the first time to repeat it and in this case, get a urine analysis done with micro exam, not just a dipstick, to see if anything shows up in your urine. If still elevated, I would see a nephrologist for further evaluation. Your pain may be totally unrelated, like from gallbladder problems. An abdominal ultrasound would check your gallbladder and allow your kidneys to be seen as well. I would ask for that too.

Old 02-21-2013, 05:42 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

Your age shouldn't cause either the kidney problem or the pain, so it is good you are having an MRI done. That should give you and your Dr. an answer soon.

The Following User Says Thank You to ladybud For This Useful Post:
Arkayngyl (02-21-2013)
Reply Reply