It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Kidney Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2013, 06:24 AM   #1
(female)

catedesco109 HB User
Acute Renal Failure during surgery

Hi last Wednesday I had my intestines resectioned due to diverticulitis. I ended up having acute renal failure and blood pressure went very low during and after surgery. On Friday it seemed like I passed a blood clot out of my catheder. My question is what would have caused this and will my kidneys be the same after having renal failure. I am urinating ok now, but still had fluid in my left kidney. Thanks

Old 03-25-2013, 06:40 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User
Re: Acute Renal Failure during surgery

The low BP during surgery probably caused the acute renal failure due to lack of adequate blood flow to the kidneys. Acute renal failure usually completely reverses itself within about 3 weeks, provided you stay adequately hydrated and suffer no more low BP episodes, which you shouldn't. I think your kidneys will recover completely, and you'll see your creatinine and BUN come down gradually.

The Following User Says Thank You to ladybud For This Useful Post:
catedesco109 (03-25-2013)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-25-2013, 06:44 AM   #3
(female)

catedesco109 HB User

Thanks for answering. I have had low blood pressure throughout my life I am 48, but after surgery is was very low. The surgeons were dumbfounded. On Friday in ICU I had extreme pain on my left kidney area, I finally passed a blood clot. Again my surgeon has no idea why I had so much pain, but while he was in my room the nurse showed him a large clot that came out my catheder. Kind of scary never had any kidney issues before. I know before he did the surgery the urologist put stints around my bladder so it would not get injured.

Old 03-25-2013, 06:51 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

I wonder if inside the blood clot was a small kidney stone. It sounds like you passed the clot down the ureter and the obstruction caused the fluid buildup in the left kidney. That should resolve too, now that the obstruction is out of there.

Old 03-25-2013, 02:25 PM   #5
(female)

catedesco109 HB User

My creatinine level pre op blood work was 0.9 and after surgery went up to 1.4 and 1.3.

Old 03-25-2013, 07:06 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Those are not too bad on the creatinine levels. I think they will come back down. Keep us posted on your progress!

Old 03-25-2013, 11:04 PM   #7
(female)

catedesco109 HB User

For most of the evening and still now I have had pain in my right kidney are and pain when urinating. What I don't understand I have never had kidney issues. My concern is also now if I had a blood clot that came out is there another good chance of having another clot. Scared with this pain.

Old 03-27-2013, 01:48 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

It sounds like you could have a kidney infection now, which sometimes happens after surgery because of the catheter used. I would definitely tell your Dr. and get a urine checked. Antibiotics will clear it up if you have infection.

Reply Reply