It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Kidney Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-17-2013, 02:28 PM   #1
(female)

aquaholical HB User
kidney disease without protein in urine? does this sound like kidney failure?

Is it possible to have CKD or kidney failure without protein in urine?

Last week my masseuse found a knot in my back that she suspects could be inflammation in my kidney. I've had some weird symptoms popping up over the last month like foot/ankle swelling, profound fatigue, leg cramps and blurry vision. This last week though I began developing SEVERE flank pain (like 9 on a 10 scale), back pain (started out lower, now entire back), horrible nausea, horrible headaches, shooting pains down my legs, metallic taste in mouth, dizziness and loss of appetite. Not to sound melodramatic but I feel like I'm dying. The pain is constant but the intensity seems to be moving in 24 hour cycles. Today I feel awful but I was able to shower/get dressed. Yesterday I couldn't even get out of bed. I slept for 16 hours. It's been going in that pattern for the last week and a half.

My doc did a urine culture last week, got results today and there was no protein in my urine, but I had 3+ kenotes and a large amount of leukocytes. Blood work from a month ago just came in and my kidney numbers were off a month ago: BUN (32), Creatinine (1.8), eGFR (33). Between the symptoms and the blood test I'm thinking it sounds like renal failure, but could it be CKD without protein in the urine?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-20-2013, 04:05 PM   #2
(male)

Deanne1962 HB UserDeanne1962 HB UserDeanne1962 HB User
Re: kidney disease without protein in urine? does this sound like kidney failure?

Hello;
Yes, it is possible to have kidney disease without proteinuria (protein leakage), and even without high BP, at least initially. Your values for BUN and creatinine, over time, would indicate kidney disease of an advanced degree. There are many forms of kidney disease.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-02-2013, 04:10 PM   #3
(male)

mrtony8 HB User
Re: kidney disease without protein in urine? does this sound like kidney failure?

With a GFR of 33 you are in stage 3 kidney failure. See a Nephrologist ASAP.

Old 07-02-2013, 04:32 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

It sounds like you have an acute kidney infection on top of CKD. I think you should be checked for a kidney stone, as that can compromise kidney function and cause infection because of obstruction. I hope you were put on good antibiotics for the infection, and a culture was run. I would see a nephrologist and/or urologist immediately, as you will likely need both. They focus on different things, but you need to have a thorough workup to see what is causing this. If you have a stone and it is removed your kidney function may return to normal or improve significantly. Do you any underlying diseases like high BP or diabetes?

Reply Reply