It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Kidney Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2013, 01:34 PM   #1
(female)

Amanda802 HB User
Antibiotics cause kidney problems?

I've had kidney problems for about a year and a half. I think I've passed around 7 kidney stones in that time. Also had a stent put in for one of them. I couldn't get urologist tests finished because I was pregnant, now I'm 7 weeks postpartum and have been meeting with urologist, but haven't done my 24 hr urine yet. I had been told prior to pregnancy I could have RTA, but needed more tests to confirm. Anyway, I went to my Dr for postpartum appointment and he gave me antibiotics for bronchitis. The off brand of zithromax. Well yesterday was third dose of it, and shortly after taking third dose I started having kidney pain, it was strange because it was both kidneys and I've only ever had pain/stones in my left kidney. Well after probably 4 hours of moderate kidney pain it went away so I figured it was okay. However, since I woke up this morning I have visible blood in my urine. Can't get appointment until tomorrow morning. Has anyone had this happen? Could it be from antibiotics? I'm quite concerned just because it was both kidneys and that's never happened before. Any input is appreciated.

Old 07-08-2013, 03:02 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User
Re: Antibiotics cause kidney problems?

I doubt the kidney pain and blood are from the antibiotics. If you've had that many stones, you could have them in both kidneys. The real question is, why are you forming so many stones? Do you know the type stones you form-calcium or uric acid? Have you have had high serum calciums ever and a parathyroid workup done? It is essential to try to establish the cause of the stones so your kidneys don't suffer further damage. Are you seeing a urologist or nephrologist? I think a nephrologist would most helpful, and preventive measures to keep the stones from forming.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-08-2013, 03:19 PM   #3
(female)

Amanda802 HB User

I am seeing a urologist. The reason I thought antibiotics is because I've never experienced pain on both sides. However a ct I had almost a year ago showed 3 more in my left and 2 in my right kidney, I've since passed 3 from my left. I had another ct last week but haven't been back to see urologist for the results. My previous urologist (i moved and had to find a new one) was the one who said possible rta I think because of potassium levels in my urine. Or maybe he wanted to put me on potassium, I'm not sure it was a while ago. But he said he needed to do further tests because being pregnant the hormones could mess up my results. I've only had 3 stones analysed, the first to were calcium oxalate and the third was calcium phosphate, the third is one I passed while pregnant. And I've read that kidney stones during pregnancy are often calcium phosphate something to do with the way your body reacts to pregnancy I guess. I also had bloodwork done same time as ct but like I said I haven't had follow up apt yet to find out results. I have to do 24 hr urine first and I don't have gas to make it that far (its an hour drive, I live in middle of nowhere!) Until the 15th.

Old 07-09-2013, 11:19 AM   #4
(female)

Amanda802 HB User

Well went in today its probably more stones. She told me my ct scan showed numerous new stones in both kidneys :/ I just wish I knew what was causing them!

Old 07-09-2013, 12:51 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

Seriously you need to ask for your serum calcium and parathyroid hormone level to be checked. Parathyroid hormone excess causes calcium to leach out of your bones, into your blood, and then kidneys try to get rid of excess, and then calcium based stones form. This process is damaging to your bones, causes osteoporosis and increased fracture risk and damaging to your kidneys from all the stones. The glands are 4 small glands on the back of the thyroid gland in neck. They can develop benign, small tumors that secrete excess hormone or just get enlarged (hyperplasia) with excess hormone. You should not be going through this over and over, and I would insist on getting these two tests done. A urine calcium level will be high too, but not needed. The PTH level is most crucial.

Old 07-09-2013, 07:21 PM   #6
(female)

Amanda802 HB User

Thank you for the information! I'll definitely ask at my follow up appointment next Friday. For some reason they asked me to get an xray done before my apt, why would they want an xray when I just had a ct? I thought ct scans showed more than xrays do?

Old 07-09-2013, 10:47 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

I really don't know unless they are just trying to see if they show up on xray so you don't have to keep having CT scans which is more radiation. They may also want to count them to see if any have passed. I would ask at your app't. Its ok to show a curiosity about your condition and health care.

Old 07-10-2013, 07:28 AM   #8
(female)

Amanda802 HB User

Thank you! You have been very helpful. I'll be sure to update when I find out more.

Old 07-10-2013, 08:19 AM   #9
Inactive
(female)

Please do! We all learn from each other's experiences and it is satisfying to know if someone has gotten a problem figured out or solved with help here on the boards.

The Following User Says Thank You to ladybud For This Useful Post:
Amanda802 (07-10-2013)
Old 07-11-2013, 12:46 PM   #10
(female)

Amanda802 HB User

So I'm a little confused. Urology place called me to set up xray stuff, and told me not to do 24 hr urine that it isn't important. But just a few weeks ago they acted like 24 hr urine was a big deal. What could my bloodwork or ct have showed that suddenly calls for xray and no 24 hr urine? I wish they would just tell me what they think is going on for the sudden change of plans :/

Old 07-17-2013, 11:19 AM   #11
(female)

Amanda802 HB User
Thumbs down Re: Antibiotics cause kidney problems?

Sorry this is more of just a vent :/ I wish I had my old doctor and urologist. They knew my history and know I'm not a drug seeker. I saw a Dr at my primary's office for this kidney stone. Found blood in urine and she prescribed me 45 5mg vicodins. That was 8 or 9 days ago and I'm still in pain and out of pain pills. It's not extreme, but it hurts and I'd like some relief. Dr office says won't prescribe more pain pills, that I need to talk to urologist about it. Oh btw I'm peeing straight blood again today. Urologist says they won't prescribe pills without first seeing a follow up ct to see if kidney is swollen, yesterday blocked etc. But I've explained to them that I'm waiting on my insurance to approve the ct still. Last time it took 10 days to get it approved :/ I'm waiting onanother call back from urology but if they tell me no I'm seriously considering going to urgent care so I can get some damn pain pills! This is ridiculous! I never had issues with my previous doctors! In fact they normally gave me more pain pills than I needed. Guess that's all, just really frustrated with this crap.

Old 07-17-2013, 11:20 AM   #12
(female)

Amanda802 HB User

I meant ureter blocked, not yesterday. Apparently my phone doesn't think ureter is a word

Old 07-17-2013, 01:18 PM   #13
Inactive
(female)

Glad you have a place to vent. It is so frustrating that you had to wait 10 days for CT approval when in the midst of a kidney stone! I would call insurance company every day, and ask to speak to the medical director if you have to to cut through the red tape. Please try to get a referral for nephrology if the urologists won't try to investigate why you are forming so many stones. These need to be prevented before you suffer permanent kidney damage.

Old 07-17-2013, 01:30 PM   #14
(female)

Amanda802 HB User

Urology place called back and said nope can't give anything til ct results prove that it is "urology related" Left message with my primary but can't get apt til tomorrow afternoon. In addition I think I have a bladder or kidney infection now. Woo.

Old 07-19-2013, 06:20 PM   #15
(female)

Amanda802 HB User

Had my follow up today. Urologist said the stones in my left kidney are small enough to pass on my own (hopefully) but the three stones in my right have grown each around 6mm and for those we will probably need to do shock wave to break them up. I have another ct scheduled for the 30th, need to do 24 hour urine, and she ordered test for parathyroid. I have to wait on 24 hr urine because I now have either a bladder or kidney infection and am taking antibiotics. My next follow up will be scheduled after they get all the results back. She also said that if these tests don't give a definitive answer that she will send me to a nephrologist. I'm glad they're finally trying to figure it out though.

Reply Reply