It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board

Pain management knee replacement

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-28-2017, 08:13 PM   #1
Teytey
(female)

Teytey HB User
Pain management knee replacement

On March 2nd I had a partial total knee replacement. My post op wasn't until 19 days later and by that time my knee was stuck in the straight position. I was able to start PT the following day. After being tortured by my PT for a couple weeks it was determined that I needed a manipulation which took place April 11th. Following surgery I was given oxicontin 20 mg extended release to take every 8 hours as well as 20 mg oxicodone immediate release to be taken every 4 hours. This did not even come close to easing the pain. I cried from the pain for 3 solid weeks. Nobody would help me treating me lime i was pill seaking. I finally was referred to a local pain management clinic where they were able to increase the oxicontin to 40 mg every 8 hours amd oxicodone every 4 hours. Although there was some relief I was still in enough pain tjat prevented me from being able to sleep. 2 weeks later the cinic imcreased the oxicontin to 60 mg every 8 hours and left the oxicodone as it is at 30 mg every 4 hours as needed. After the manipulation the pain subsided some however i was needing another surgery to go in and clear out scar tissue amd adhesions. That surgery took place may 18th and since then I am once again unable to stay on top of the pain. I am icing all day amd all night...elevating...using a cpm machine, exercising at home and going to PT daily with little progress in ROM. I am at 64 degrees after all of this and I fear I am at a stand still once again. What is the next step usually taken for pain management at this point? I was told if this doseage doesn't work there wod be a med change which scares me. I am on a ton of pain meds right now and still funtion throughout the day however in severe pain (at least an 8 constantly) and I am set to return to work July 1st. Does anybody know what kind of medication they might be moving me to? I was told by a few friends that I should seek legal counsel that something went wrong somewhere. I should be at full ROM by now amd off the pain meds yet I am still living in hell from lack of ROM amd severe pain constantly. Somebody please help me.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-29-2017, 10:59 AM   #2
tess201
Senior Veteran
(female)

tess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB Usertess201 HB User
Re: Pain management knee replacement

Laser has been helping me both pre and post op for total shoulder replacement. It reduces inflammation and pain. May not be enough for you but maybe in combination with a med to start moving things in a different direction.

Hope you find relief soon.

Tess

Old 05-29-2017, 11:56 AM   #3
Teytey
(female)

Teytey HB User

Haven't heard of that before. I will look into that. Thank you so much.

Old 05-29-2017, 11:57 AM   #4
jeff9265
(male)

jeff9265 HB User

If your pain mgt. told you this, they might be talking about changing you to fentanyl patches, most likely with some oxycodone ir for break through pain. That's my best guess. If you can get out in front of the pain, you'll have better results. Unfortunately, it sounds like you aren't there. The strategy is usually what is being done now, a long acting opioid, plus a short acting opioid for breakthrough pain. Right now, doctors are really coming under the gun for opiate prescriptions, and you shouldn't have to feel like you are doing something wrong by trying to be out of pain. Ideally, you obviously have to sleep to have quality of life. If this need is not being met, I would consider finding out what they would offer you, if you are in that much pain. I sure wish you the best of luck with your recovery, I'd learn as many "tricks" as you can to help with the pain. Obviously, weather is going to be a big factor in your pain. The amino acid agmatine sulfate is a nmda antagonist, and will increase analgesia of your current pain meds, along with many other opiate agonists. It is available on the internet from supplement houses. Meditation absolutely can help, but certain people can develop techniques for pain management easier than others. If you are not one of these people, I'd consider the next strategy in pain treatment that the pain clinic has to offer.

Old 05-29-2017, 02:26 PM   #5
Teytey
(female)

Teytey HB User

I was thinking they might put me on a patch. I honestly would prefer a patch over pills. I don't think I've been in front of the pain at all since my first surgery in March which makes this recovery process nearly impossible for me. As I write this I'm using my CPM for the second time today. After just 45 minutes (so that I could ice for 20) my knee lost at least 10 degrees in ROM. It was just 11 days ago that the scar tissue was removed arthoscopically yet feels like that may be a problem again already. I don't understand whats going on and neither does my surgeon. I am being told that this is the hand I've been dealt. That's uplifting... (sarcasim)

Old 05-29-2017, 02:58 PM   #6
jeff9265
(male)

jeff9265 HB User

That's sounds really rough. We all heal a little different though, it may be your bodies particular response. I have learned we all must become our own healthcare advocates.

I'd learn as much as I could, become your own expert on your specific problems, if you must. I'd be totally up front with them about your pain, no one deserves to go through needless pain. Now I don't know for sure about a replacement, but I can tell you there is an old saying "motion is lotion", when it comes to rom. But that doesn't necessarily apply to your situation, especially with the pain you are having. About the patches, they do work, and last for 72 hours, so there is less to mess with. If you take statins for cholesterol, you might look into that, your body needs cholesterol to heal, so that could possibly effect it. I'd also look into a diet that's low inflammation. Sugar is real bad in that respect. Hope you get some relief!

Last edited by Administrator; 05-29-2017 at 03:22 PM.

Reply Reply