It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2005, 02:17 PM   #1
(female)

Kiricki HB User
Question Recovering from partial hip replacement

Hello--

I guess I am posting for encouragement! ) I had a partial hip replacement on February 27, 2005 (nine weeks ago today) as a result of being knocked down by my dog! I've had the in home physical therapy, graduated from a walker to a cane, and have been released by my doctor who says I am doing fine. I might have been over optimistic in thinking that by now I'd be walking well on my own, with little or no pain. Such is not the case. I don't use the cane in the house, but do have a bad limp, and it hurts a lot. I have reached the point where I am taking only Tylenol and can sometimes go for an entire day with only taking two regular strength when I get up and two more when I go to bed. Unfortunately, we are in a stormy weather pattern, with cold temps and one rain/snow storm after another. When these cold fronts move in I have a lot more pain.

I am wondering what some of you others think about my progress. Am I just expecting too much, too soon? Should I be able to expect improvement to begin to happen more quickly soon?

Another question.......is it usual to have numbness, not just where the incision was, but in other areas down the leg? I am not totally numb, but do have areas that seem to have sensory disturbance. The two little toes on that foot feel just as if they are poking through a hole in a sock, and are a little numb. I'd welcome any comments you may have. It's all well and good to be told I am doing fine, but I just wish I felt fine!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-01-2005, 10:52 PM   #2
(female)

legtoolong HB User
Re: Recovering from partial hip replacement

Hi Anne,
If you are walking with a limp I would say you need to go back to therapy. Are you still doing your excercises? The pain can make you limp--it was explained to me that the pain causes the muscle to stop firing to protect itself.

I still have some pain and my total hip replacement was done Jan.6, 2005. I'm dealing with my leg being too long by 1/2 to 3/4". Something wasn't done right to have that big a difference. I'm doing better since adding more lift to my shoe. The doc prescribed 3/8" lift but I'm now at about 5/8" and walking better. Do have someone check your leg length. Look at the ankle bones when lying out flat. It can be distorted if your legs aren't straight with the midline of your body.

I have returned to therapy to resolve the length problem accurately and for more muscle strengthening to correct my gait.

Old 05-02-2005, 06:36 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

MrsLinda HB User
Re: Recovering from partial hip replacement

Morning Anne and legtoolong -

I have to agree with "leg" and think you need to go back to therepy. Limping or "gait walking" is one of the major things they worked on with me.

As for numbness; I still have some in the incision area and it's been 8 months. But that's it; no where else.

Anne - healing is or can be a very slow process. Even though you just had a "partial" replacement, it's major surgery. Can you describe the pain? Is it in the upper thigh, down the front? Is it sharp or a dull ache.

Unfortunately our doctors can't feel what we feel and can only go by the work they performed to determine "how we are" doing. By all means....if you are having more pain that YOU think you should be having talk to your doctor.

But remember...paitence. I still sometimes have to take a Tylenol occasionally. But then again...I have the bit "A" in the other hip!!!!

I'm glad you found us Anne....we'll get though this.

Closed Thread