It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2005, 03:59 AM   #1
Veteran
(male)

jayboy557 HB User
burning in hip / sleeping in bed right hip wakes me up

my right hip has been waking me up at night when i sleep on my right side for to long at night. i have a good matress. i have back problems including nerve compression. i was wondering what the signs of a bad hip are. surely sleeping on my right side should not cause pain. does anyone have an idea. does the nerve travel on the right side. would it be sensitive to the touch. thanks, jason

Old 06-26-2005, 11:40 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

MrsLinda HB User
Re: burning in hip / sleeping in bed right hip wakes me up

Hello Jason - Welcome! Your pain could be the result of your back problem. I'm not sure. But one of the signs of a "bad hip" is groin pain. You think you've pulled a muscle in the groin area with the sharp pain traveling mid way down your thigh. Another one of my symptoms was this sharp piercing pain right in the groin causing the hip to "lock". I couldn't move without intense pain. This would happen at night if I had to use the "facilities". I'd have to drag myself to the bathroom, then with the hip "locked" I couldn't get back into bed. I'd have to wake my husband for help. I usually had to "fall backwards". It was horrible.

Sounds like you may have to see your Doctor and ask about the nerve compression. Good luck and let us know how you make out.

Last edited by MrsLinda; 06-26-2005 at 11:40 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-02-2010, 06:26 PM   #3
(female)

katylia12 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayboy557 View Post
my right hip has been waking me up at night when i sleep on my right side for to long at night. i have a good matress. i have back problems including nerve compression. i was wondering what the signs of a bad hip are. surely sleeping on my right side should not cause pain. does anyone have an idea. does the nerve travel on the right side. would it be sensitive to the touch. thanks, jason
I went to the doc the other day for same symptoms. It is painful on both hip when sleeping on side, on what is called the Greater Trochanters. It is almost sore. It's bursitis on the trochanters, and sometimes when both hurt, the one opposite to the side which is being rested on can also be painful. Maybe you could do research on pain in greater trochanters. My husband also has same thing. My doc did not suggest any treatment yet, but will probably ask if the pain persist.
Good Luck! Kat

Old 03-09-2010, 05:04 PM   #4
(female)

Thomasinaa HB User

Hello,
I am waiting for a hip replacement and YES, sleeping on either side wakes me up alot and is so annoying to say the least. I have the groin, inner leg pain also and for a year my Dr. kept on telling me the pain was all back related... I went to see a physio therapist and within a 5 minute exam, he told me my hip was gone and sure enough, a simple xray proved him RIGHT... and now I'm waiting on the long, long list for those needing hips..

Get it looked at.... Also, do you get any pain when going up stairs? That's another clue I had... I now go up them one at a time as it hurts to put much pressure on my leg/foot... going up hill has a similar effect...

That night time pain is the worst... and yes, I also had alot of burning until I was put on anti inflammatory meds.

take care,
Thomasinaa

Last edited by Thomasinaa; 03-09-2010 at 05:05 PM.

Old 03-18-2010, 06:04 AM   #5
(female)

happy hips HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayboy557 View Post
REf bad hips.I had a left hip replaced last year and am waiting to get the right one done.
All the symptoms you describe like pain in the groin and down the leg Ive had them too. Also pain in the knee and down to the foot, the doctor told me some nerves can be compressed by the bad joint if its very bad and you can have pain anywhere around the hip and leg area. Dont let the doctors fob you off, but do get it xrayed it will show how bad the joint is. Im only 45 so dont let anyone tell you your too young to have a hip replaced, your quality of life is what is important. I know what its like to not to sleep at night because of pain, I got a reclining chair and I find it easier to sleep in it than in the bed, Sometimes I sleep more in the day than at night so dont be feeling guility if you doze of, get your sleep when you can. Hope you soon get sorted out and try and thing positive about the future.

Closed Thread