It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-22-2005, 10:46 AM   #1
(male)

AlienB HB User
Is anyone running?

All,
I'm 1.5 years out from a left THR and feel mislead by the surgeon and the Stryker Company on TV. I was told the ceramic on ceramic would be the best solution at my age of 43. You know, for younger active people..right!!
I was told I could play doubles tennis, jog and do many activites to "get my life back". I have upper thigh pain doing most anything and impact is a sure no-no. My hope of getting the area strenghtened is fading. The surgeon said "The ceramic may be too hard against the bone". "I expect to see data on this in the next journal".
I was beside myself, it's a hellva time to find this out. He even mentioned going back in and replacing the thing. No way would gamble on a second surgery and maybe be even worse.
I'm just saying consider everything when faced with a THR. I would like to hear from anyone running and how they got to that point.
I just can't give up the possibility the pain will get better.

Old 07-22-2005, 04:29 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

MrsLinda HB User
Re: Is anyone running?

Hi Alien and welcome....I do believe we may have 1 or possibily 2 people on this board who may have begun to try to run or are jogging. Hopefully one of them will see this post and reply. Most of us here with the exception of balleteach are recent "transplants". I do believe I follow balleteach as my surgery was 11 months ago and hers was 10 years. The others here are anywhere from 6 weeks to 6 months or preparing for the proceedure.

I understand your frustration. I don't have thigh pain. However when I step up or up and over something I have pulling in the upper thigh area at the flexor muscle. The surgery went well and all xrays indicate a perfect replacement. I walk fine. Occasionally I have some aches but I have arthritis in my knees and other hip as well. But my discomfort is nothing like it was before the surgery. Just how bad is your pain? Do anti-inflamatories help?

Linda

The Following User Says Thank You to MrsLinda For This Useful Post:
tommylex (04-24-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-23-2005, 10:07 AM   #3
(female)

Ripanco HB User

Hi Alien,

Not too sure how much help I can be since I am only 2 months (today!) post op. I had both hips replaced at the same time. However, I am a runner (at least I was) and plan on running with my OS's approval again. I will x-country and downhill ski this winter, then try to start running again in the spring. I probably will not be able to do the long distance I so love anymore, and will run only on soft surfaces with very cushioned shoes. But I do need to be able to get out there and just run sometimes.

Since I did want to run and am very active with other sports and activities, my most wonderful surgeon opted to give me Metal/poly instead of ceramic. He felt it would give me a little more absorbtion as well as less risk of breakage. I have Stryker component too.

Last weekend I was able to show my dogs. Showing entails some running around the ring. I cleared it with my surgeon who said short bursts of running were ok if it felt ok. I had no problems and all watching said my gait was smooth with no sign of limping. It felt wonderful too. I am going to handling classes with a puppy right now too which means a fair amount of running for an hour. The running is at a slow/medium jog and only for about 20-30 sec at a time, but by the end of class, I am really tired. But it does not hurt to run for that short a time.

I wonder if it is possible to just replace the head and cup without replacing the stem. That would be more a revision and a lot less trauma. Stryker makes all the components, so maybe they would be compatable.

I also have to say that I worked really hard to get strong before my surgery and continue to work hard for recovery. So I do have some pretty strong muscles taking over for my new hips. One of the best things I did for myself was to get back into the pool where I not only do all my leg exercises, but pool run!! It has helped me to get back a lot of fitness without any impact. If you can get to a pool, maybe you can get back some of that strength without the pain to get started.

At any rate, I understand your frustration and hope you can get back to doing what you love. Don't give up yet.

Old 07-23-2005, 02:04 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

MrsLinda HB User

I thought our "runner" was Ripanco but wasn't sure!!! I hope she was able to give you some advice Alien.

Hi Ripanco!!!!

Last edited by MrsLinda; 07-23-2005 at 02:05 PM.

Old 07-26-2005, 01:14 PM   #5
(male)

AlienB HB User

Thanks MrsLinda,

I can't tell much difference when taking anti-inflames, but I haven't tried on a consistant basis. Is there a type that works for you?

Do you take as needed or every day?

It's tuff to say on the pain it varies day to day.

I really hate the thought of another surgery, things could get worse.

Old 07-26-2005, 07:07 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

MrsLinda HB User

Hi AlienB - Well as far as anti-inflamatories go I have Mobic that works pretty good for me. I use to take Bextra and that worked really well for me. Unfortunately it's off the market now. I'm on a "as needed basis" for a couple of reasons. First my right hip is slowly deteriorating. It's not ready for replacement however. And secondly, sometimes the "new" hip aches. I developed bursitis in the new hip also and when that flares up I'll take something. I'll only take the prescription stregnth if the Advil doesn't help. But thankfully, I don't need to take anything daily anymore. However when I do have to take them I usually take them for 5 days and then stop to see how I'm doing. Usually that's enough. Do you have any in the house or that he Dr. prescribed?

Your pain; you said it varies? Does it hurt to walk? How about going up and down stairs? I'm curious...

Old 08-02-2005, 07:34 AM   #7
(male)

AlienB HB User

Mslinda,
My pain varies from day to day, it's hard pinpoint. Sometimes walking and going up stairs. It seems the way I sleep has something to do with it. Before the replacement I knew what pain to expect. I was limping pretty bad and that's the only thing it solved.
I have some Rafelan, maybe I should try it.

Old 09-03-2005, 08:51 AM   #8
(female)

Queeneev HB User

Hello to all here,

I hesitated to even post here, because doing so "gives life" to my hip issues. I have been in denial all my life (age 44). Born with congenital hip dyplasia in both hips, had various surgeries at age 1, 2, and 3; and the left one now hurts enough that I am beginning this process of finding new solutions. I know hip replacement is ultimately going to be the best answer for me, but DANG IT ALL, I am also a runner, and that's why I am posting. I am TERRIFIED I will lose my running! It is like a best friend! I do not know life without running. Ever. I have tried substitutions, nothing satisfies. Even after I had triple arthrodesis in my right foot (also congenital deformity, now I have 6 pieces of titanium, and 80% loss of range of motion in there), I had to find my way back to running. Which of course, is adding to the hip dilemma. I've hobbled my whole life (nickname is gimpy, how original and SOOOO funny, right?? eye roll inserted here). With the right foot frozen, my poor pathetic left hip has over-compensated and I know I've made it worse. But an addict is an addict. So I came here in hopes of finding non-replacement solutions that people have tried.

So I am as in the dark about running as the original poster, and am really really wondering. I feel like THR is my path to "old", so I am feeling desparate and sad. Forgive me for being depressing, I am somewhat just venting in anticipation. So far I haven't seen any real WOW success stories here for (die hard) athletes.

I've already conceded a great deal with the foot surgery, and I pray I don't have to concede too much more.

Question to any and all: how much pain warrants a replacement? I know it's hard to quantify, but, say for example, I have pain of 6 on a 10 scale as an active runner, but if I stop running for a few weeks, I have pain of 4. Is it wrong of me to be unwilling to give up running to come down 2 notches, but willing to have surgery to come down 2 notches? I have to sit in bed before I get up, and stretch my hips/hamstrings or else I get pain when I stand up. I don't hurt at all during my runs, but it's the rest of the day that aches. I will stop and bend over to touch my toes several times a day out of need, regardless of where I am, and of course I get stares because that is not a normal sight (my rear end staring back at the person in line behind me as I grab my ankles, hee hee). Sometimes at home I will lie on the floor and ask my husband to "punch me in the butt please". He thought I was crazy at first, but then I started doing it to him as well (he has no pains), and he was pleasantly surprised at how good it felt. Something about the vibration of punching the bone seems to "shake the ache" away. I'd be interested to know if anyone else does butt punching!!!!

Sorry to have no advice, just fears. Hopefully more THR pro's will share their upsides and give hope. Thanks.

Old 09-03-2005, 09:44 AM   #9
(female)

Ripanco HB User

Hey Queeneev,

Well at least you have found another addicted runner here. Although at this point I have not run since Jan so I quess you can call me a former runner. My hips finally would not let me run at all. However, I am planning on running again! You will not find many Docs or people that will support that, but it is a personal thing. I was lucky enough to find an OS that could understand my passion so that even though he is not thrilled to have me run again, he has worked with me to increase my chances of succesfully running.

There are lots of people that do run with THR, but most of them do so without their OS's knowledge. I am more comfortable working with my surgeon's guidance. He will be even more vigilant for signs of osteolysis, the biggest threat to young, active hips.

i had both hips replaced just 3 months ago, so I can't tell you if I will be able to run or not yet. I do plan on waiting till next spring before any serious running. and I have agreed with my OS to only run 2-3/week, for only about 30 min(no more lsd, my favorite) only on soft surfaces and with cushioned shoes. I can tell you that I am running enough to show my Siberian Huskies and that feels fine. In fact I am better than before! But that is only short bursts.

I can tell you that I have been able to resume most all of my other crosstraing activities without all the PAIN! It is marvelous. I have lost a lot of endurance and strength, but it is returning fast. I will have the winter with xc skiing to get my cardio back and my legs strong. I am relearning how to walk correctly and that is much better so I am hoping that will cross over to my running so that I will have better form, less stress on my joints.

so how much pain does it take to have THR? Like you said, hard to say and different for everyone. But my pain was starting to rule my life. When I could no longer run or rollerblade or even walk and sleep without hurting I knew I had to do something. I didn't even realize just how bad I hurt till the hurt went away! There are times I get down cause I am not back to where I was a few years ago, but that is wrong. I am a very impaitient person. I want to be perfect right now!! LOL. But in reality, even just 3 months from surgery I am doing really well and should thank my lucky stars!! I will continue to improve for at least a year and I need to keep reminding myself of that. Just remember, time will not fix your hips, it will only make them worse. I probably waited too long so I did have a lot of bone loss and spurs that made the surgery more difficult and may have some effect on the long term outcome.

THR was not my path to 'old'. Trying to live with all the hip pain was making me way older than I knew. Now I am starting to play again. My blood pressure acutally went way down from not living with pain. People notice there is less pain in my face. I walk taller. straighter, smoother.

Oh yea, the butt thing....yep here. Although my DH does more of a deep tissue massage. I also roll on a tennis ball. Or at least I did, the butt thing gets better after THR. Lots of things get better after THR

Old 09-03-2005, 11:21 AM   #10
(female)

Queeneev HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripanco
I also roll on a tennis ball.
heh heh heh heh the things we invent....done that too!

Your post was very uplifting, especially that part where you say the THR did not make you old, it took you away from old. So I have hope.

It's nice to know someone on the planet has nearly the same issues as me, which in my mind, has always been something NO ONE around me could ever understand.

lsd's...haven't had one in 3 years, I miss it so...but ya know, the upside to that is that my workouts are short and sweet! Right? I am an endurance junkie, done ultras, adventure races, rogaines, so I know i can adapt (maybe just not willing). Running is the one thing that is available "anywhere anytime".

I've needed an excuse to buy an expensive kayak

Old 09-04-2005, 08:45 AM   #11
(female)

Ripanco HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queeneev
I've needed an excuse to buy an expensive kayak
Hey Queeneev,

We may be kindred spirits We just bought our kayaks about a month ago as onother form of exerciseing together instead of just running. We love them! We have a lot to learn still, but we try to get out on a river or lake a few times a week. We just bought skirts to lenghten the season a little.

But as you say, running is anytime! I miss just being able to go out the door and go. We live on a mountain top, so everything else but running entails a car trip and a fair amount of planning.

Anyhow, got to get going now cause we are hitting the river with the kayaks this afternoon.

Don't give up hope, there is life after THR, and the fact that you are young and in good shope will only make it easier.

Old 09-09-2005, 03:17 PM   #12
(female)

Queeneev HB User

Well, let me be an example how NOT to view a situation without being fully informed (see (a)). And let me ALSO be an exmple of how the mind DOES affect the body(see (b)):

(a) Here I am STEWing over my pending rotten hip and pending compromises I will have to make, not having full info. I finally got x-rayed, and was absolutely stunned. Stunned. Stunned. I have perfect bones and spaces between them. WHA?!!! Now, I had these same hips x-rayed 10 years ago, and CLEARLY recall seeing deterioiration, and shaggy things, and hearing the doc say "you will ultimately have severe arthritis. Run if you want, but it will only bring on the end sooner".

So here I am 10 years later, and many MILES later, with (perhaps?) a reversal of disease???? Bizarre, bizarre, bizarre.

He looked as perplexed as me, wrote me a presrip for sciatica therapy (hee hee I get 9 massages and ultrasound courtesy of Aetna...). Sounds divine, only I hope the therapist is a dork so I don't feel self conscious.

(b) Mentally, I am not convinced I am this healthy. I've had this "image" of my insides condition for so long now, that it has become a faux truth that is hard to let go of. But lately when I ache, I don't "hate" at it like I usually do. I see it as simply a soft tissue that is temporarily tender and needs a massage, not a decaying bone and angry cavity dying of thirst and fluid. And this is embarrassing to admit - but within hours of learning all this, my hip hurts less. WHAT is that all about? We could all do well to harness that little mind trick more, hunh?

So I got lucky. I count my blessings, but Rip , you can bet your sweet ceramic bippy that I will use this as an excuse to pound the ground...I think I need to knock off one marathon. Just one, just because.

Last edited by Queeneev; 09-09-2005 at 03:18 PM.

Old 09-19-2005, 04:58 PM   #13
(male)

mtnskier HB User

Maybe I can help. I'm 47 and have had my hip done for 7 years. I have a ceramic head on poly cup.. I can do pretty much anything. I would never run however ( I do ski like a madman however). I can tell you it was a legitimate year until all was really right again. I too miss running but have a bike now and that helps. I don't buy that whole too hard theory though as once the bone grows into the device there is no movement and hence no pain.. I would talk to another surgeon.
T

Old 09-21-2005, 06:09 AM   #14
(female)

Ripanco HB User

Hey Mntskier,

Old 09-21-2005, 06:35 AM   #15
(female)

Ripanco HB User

Hey Mntskier,

Welcome to the board! I have a question for you. Sounds like you are pretty active and have a few years on your hips (hip?). I had both hips replaced 4 months ago this coming Friday. I am an athletic person. I was a runner before my hips couldn't take anymore by last January. I also hike, bike, rollerblade, kayak, strength train, xc and downhill ski. I am back to all except running and waiting for snow to ski. I do not have my full stregnth and edurance yet but working hard at it. During my walks (about 5-6 mi), I have been throwing in a few short jogs, just to see how it feels. My surgeon has cleared me to show my dogs again which entails short bursts of running anyhow, so this is not much different. My hips feel great, no pain at all, but my knees and low back think my new hips stink!! Going up hills is easier than on the level.

My question to you is what made you decide not to run again? I have been trying to find any reseach on the effects of running on hip replacements, but I do not think there really has been any study to see just what running does. I believe the biggest fear is osteolysis caused by greater wear of a poly cup resulting in more particles. However, with the new highly crosslinked poly material, that wear has been greatly reduced.

My OS knows I want to run again. He opted to give me metal/poly hips instead of ceramic for more shock absorbtion and less chance of breakage. I have agreed not to start serious training until spring. I was interested to hear you say it really took a full year to get it all back. I will also run only on soft surface, only 30 min or so 3-4x/wk and with very cushioned shoes.

You are a hard core downhill skier. Me too. You must be hitting the bumps pretty hard by now. This has to cause a pretty good amount of wear on your poly cup. My OS was as much concerned about me doing that as running. He had no problem with regular downhill skiing, but hard bumps bother him. so what made you decide to ski but not run? What are you doing as far as regular checkups? It sounds like if you are extra active with your hips it may be worth getting an anual bone scan to catch any osteolysis early. I sure do not want to ruin my wonerful new hips, but I also do not want to give up living the way I do. So I would love to hear your experience!!

Closed Thread