It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-28-2005, 08:09 AM   #1
(female)

leia23 HB User
Hip Bursitis Does physical therapy work

Have been suffering with this 3 months. Don't want cortisone shot as it's only short term relief & painful. Has anyone had success with physical therapy or any other suggestions? Thanks.

Old 07-28-2005, 01:48 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

MrsLinda HB User
Re: Hip Bursitis Does physical therapy work

Hi leia23 and welcome. Bursitis is caused by inflamation which in my opinion can be agrivated by PT. When I developed it in my newly replaced hip I refussed the shot and went with oral anti-inflamatories (at the time Bextra). I promised my dr. that if the pills didn't help then I'd take the shot. They did help and occasionally I get that "ache" but usually an Advill or two help.

It's to my understanding that Bursitis is one of those things that never really goes away. You have flare ups. So shots, pills, PT all could only be temporary. I could be wrong.

Did your Dr. recommend PT?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-30-2005, 09:20 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

legallyblondied HB User

Hi Leia23 and Mrs. Linda.....Before I discovered that I would need a new hip
because of hip osteoarthritis, I thought I might have iliopsoas bursitis since
I knew from my physical therapist that I had an extremely shortened one and
that is why I was having problems with my lower back and an anteriorly rotated pelvis. The streteching exercises for the psoas muscle has really
helped my back but did nothing for my hip. I kept trying to tell myself that
I had a bursitis and would not need eventually, a new hip.After much prod-
ding, Kaiser gave me an MRI and it showed no signs of bursitis or tendinitis
Darn. Anyway from what I understand, after a THR sometimes bursitis of
the greater throcantor(spelling) can occur..there can be fluid built up in the
bursa sac and the recommendations were rest, ice, and aspiration ot the fluid
that is causing the inflammation. They also recommend NASIDS or cortisone.
Personally, I would go along with Mrs. Linda and use advil or motrin and rest
and try not to aggravate it. If it continued bothering me, Iwould have the
fluid drained so it would go back to normal but I would not use cortisone or
physical therapy if it is true bursitis....Just an opinion Hope you both feel
better....Sincerely, Karen

Old 08-19-2005, 06:21 PM   #4
(female)

gram17 HB User
Angry Re: Hip Bursitis Does physical therapy work

Hi everyone, I saw the post today, and said wow, someone on that site always comes up with the help that I need. I had left THR 3/9/05, my sciatric nerve was "accidently" stretched and I have been left with "dropfoot", numbness on the left side of my calf, entire ankle, heal of foot, entire top of foot, but bless it can feel the rest of the sole of my foot.
Had an emg done, and was told the nerve was regenerating itself and and that point was about level with the back of my knee. As of yesterday when I returned to my surgeon, the calf numbness has gone down approximately two inches, when I asked if I might expect it to reach my foot he said, hopefully in about 10 months.

I have been having quite a bit of pain and soreness in the operated hip, behind the incision line and on the left buttock, was surprise, I was told I now have throcantor bursitis, and was offered the "SHOT" I have had those shots and opted out of it, and instead will try the PT.
At times I am very down, didn't expect to have all these kinds of problems, I know other people and they just breezed through everything, my husband keeps telling me "be patient", but he's not inside my leg and foot, Walking is quite difficult, I must wear a brace support, otherwise the foot just floops when I try to walk, the brace does help but I get tired easily because of the weight of everything, I just want to "GET BETTER" faster.
Thanks for listening

Old 08-19-2005, 06:23 PM   #5
(female)

gram17 HB User
Angry Re: Hip Bursitis Does physical therapy work

Hi everyone, I saw the post today, and said wow, someone on that site always comes up with the help that I need. I had left THR 3/9/05, my sciatric nerve was "accidently" stretched and I have been left with "dropfoot", numbness on the left side of my calf, entire ankle, heal of foot, entire top of foot, but bless it can feel the rest of the sole of my foot.
Had an emg done, and was told the nerve was regenerating itself and and that point was about level with the back of my knee. As of yesterday when I returned to my surgeon, the calf numbness has gone down approximately two inches, when I asked if I might expect it to reach my foot he said, hopefully in about 10 months.

I have been having quite a bit of pain and soreness in the operated hip, behind the incision line and on the left buttock, well to my surprise, I was told I now have throcantor bursitis, and was offered the "SHOT" I have had those shots and opted out of it, and instead will try the PT.
At times I am very down, didn't expect to have all these kinds of problems, I know other people and they just breezed through everything, my husband keeps telling me "be patient", but he's not inside my leg and foot, Walking is quite difficult, I must wear a brace support, otherwise the foot just floops when I try to walk, the brace does help but I get tired easily because of the weight of everything, I just want to "GET BETTER" faster.
Thanks for listening

Old 08-24-2005, 06:16 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

MrsLinda HB User

Hi gram17 - I saw this post before I left for vacation and didn't have time to reply. I'm actually still on vacation using my husband's laptop. Can't type too good on this!!

I'm curious about your "bursitis". I had my surgery 1 year ago and suddenly I have this "ache" in my buttock. And when I saw your post I wondered if I've developed the same type of bursitis. It's annoying; like a toothache in your butt. I don't have it all the time, but I've started my anti-inflamatories again.
How did your doctor determine the problem? I'm thinking that if this doesn't go away I'm going to have to go and get it checked. Did the dr. say what caused this?

I feel your frustration; I too have wondered if I ws the only one who didn't "breeze" throught he proceedure. I have problems lifting my leg up and over things and stairs are difficult at times. Granted I have no more arthritis pain, but I didn't expect to have problems stepping over things. Talk to you soon!

Old 09-20-2005, 10:30 AM   #7
(female)

gram17 HB User

Hadn't been on lately, but in checking in today I saw the responses about the bursitis from others.
1) When I went to the surgeon and told him about my pain(soreness) around the surgery area and he pressed on it I let out an ouch, and then we also discussed the soreness in my buttocks, he said I had bursitis and arranged for PT. What the PT has been doing is using heat, then ultrasound with medicated gel, I have had 10 treatments so far and most of the pain around the incision is gone, but the ache in the buttocks is still there, PT recommened two exercises, can't do other kinds due to the replacement.
1) knees drawn up rock from side to side, getting as low as you can.
2) put strap around knees (drawn up) leaving a little gap, and try to move knees apart, holding position for about 10 seconds. You will feel the pull in the affected buttocks area. Has it helped, well, yes and no. I think I'm sorer because of the exercise and the ache is now a little lower into the thigh area.
I don't know, sometimes I wish I had never had the surgery even with all the pain I was in, I never expected it to turn out this way with so many other problems.
I'm thankful I can walk (with limp/numbness/drop foot). I guess it really could be worse.
Thanks for listening to me gripe.

Old 09-21-2005, 04:19 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

MrsLinda HB User

Hi gram17 ~ good to see you!! With regards to the 2 exercises you do. Are you lying down? I don't really understand what you're doing for the first one ~ what do you mean "getting low as you can"?
How about anti inflamatories? Did he/she prescribe one or just the PT? I'm sorry you're still in alot of pain. I'm doing better. The "butt" pain just comes and goes; mostly gone these days. I still get it but not as bad.

Old 09-23-2005, 08:22 AM   #9
(female)

gram17 HB User

Hi Mrs. Linda, OK, with both exercises your are laying down (I do it on my bed) with legs drawn up twist from side to side lowering your knees as far as you can go, you will notice a pull on the buttocks muscle. Thanks for answering

Last edited by gram17; 09-23-2005 at 08:22 AM.

Closed Thread