It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-19-2005, 12:18 PM   #1
(female)

noodles886 HB User
Hip Pain When Standing

I have hip pain that only seems to bother me when I'm standing too long or walking very slowly (like walking around flea markets, fairs, etc.). It is not strong pain, more like a dull ache that is extremely uncomfortable. Once I'm able to sit down, the pain disappears immediately. It doesn't bother me when I get out of bed, walk around my house, or am walking at a normal pace.
Any ideas what could be causing this?

Old 09-19-2005, 04:46 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Tobias HB User
Re: Hip Pain When Standing

I had similar type of pain in the early days of my osteoarthritis. My description of the pain was a burning sensation in the hip joint. Fortunately, resting and sitting for a few minutes was all it took to relieve the pain and put me back on my feet for a nother hour or so. Unfortunately it got worse instead of better as the years rolled by and I now have two total hip joint replacements. Time lapsed from onset of this kind of pain to actual surgery: about 11-12 years. By year twelve I couldn't walk without a cane.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-19-2005, 09:28 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Soibhan HB User
Re: Hip Pain When Standing

Tobias--you said it all perfectly! I, too, had the kind of pain Noodles described in the early stages of osteoarthritis in my right hip. I think it only took about 6 yrs. for mine to get to the point where I needed surgery, but it was quite a while. And sometimes we tend to wait a bit too long. My 83 yrs. old dad is suffering terribly with his left hip and won't go see about it! Noodles, if I were you, I'd talk to a good orthopedic surgeon about having some baseline xrays of that hip and then perhaps you could work on strengthening the muscles around the joint to buy yourself some time. But finding a good doctor NOW is very important. Good luck to you!

Closed Thread