It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2005, 08:56 AM   #1
(female)

debv HB User
phr - groin pain 12 weeks post op

Was wondering if anyone experienced groin pain after surgery. I had partical hip replacement due to a fall, Aug 10 this year. I still have a limp due to groin pain. I'm 48 years old and in good health otherwise. I attend water exercise classes 3 times a week but still am limited when walking distance. Starting to feel some depression because of my limitations and the constant groin pain.

Old 11-05-2005, 11:47 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

MrsLinda HB User
Re: phr - groin pain 12 weeks post op

Hi Deb - Saw your post and had to ask you if the pain is constant? I ask because I have similiar pain but only when extending the leg up and over something; like stepping into the tub with the THR leg first or going up stairs. I have no problems walking or sitting etc. My pain goes across the very top of the thigh; right where the elastic of our underpants lie.

I just saw my orthopedic surgeon and he's puzzled. Oh....I had my proceedure 15 months ago too. He said I was a "text book" THR. Everything is perfect. He even showed me new bone growth around the femur I think it's called; I call it the "ball". He even brought in another surgeon; a collegue of his and she was puzzled also. There is no obvious reason for the discomfort I have when that darn leg is lifted up.

What does your surgeon say?

Last edited by MrsLinda; 11-05-2005 at 11:48 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-05-2005, 02:10 PM   #3
(female)

debv HB User

Thanks for your reply Linda My pain is pretty much constant while on my feet. The limp I have because of the groin pain bothers me as much as the pain itself. Did you experience more groin pain at the beginning of your recovery? Iím hoping that as time passes I íll lose the limp. I was fairly active before the surgery and have slowed down because of it. My pain is in the same place as yours. Iíve searched the net for answers over the last couple of months . No answers. No suggestions.

Old 11-06-2005, 03:44 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

MrsLinda HB User

Hi Deb ~ actually I had no groin pain at all after the surgery. My pain is only when I over extend the leg up and over like I said in the original post. I walk fine..no limp and no pain. Oh I do occasionally have an ache or two which the dr. has labled "bursitis". But that goes away after a few days of anti-inflamatories and that's usually on the side of the hip.

We noticed something wasn't quite right while in therepy. The PT would have me try and do straight leg lifts and I couldn't; the pain was horrible!!!

I know your frustration. Every time I step into the tub, or lift that leg up to shave or just step over the dog. If I lead off with that leg it's very uncomfortable; sometimes it's darn right painful. Other times it's like this pulling sensation. Depends on what movement I'm trying to do.

But what has your doctor told you?? He/she must have told you something.

Keep in touch ...have a great Sunday.

Old 11-07-2005, 03:24 PM   #5
(female)

debv HB User

Linda I'm seeing the Dr. on Tuesday so maybe he will shed some light on the pain. It's been difficult because everyone, well most, say that they didn't have the type of pain that I am. I was concerned because I've seen some things about partial hip replacements...too large a ball for the socket can cause such pain. Anne replyed, since she was having the same pain and also had a PHR it was encouraging to hear that she's better 8 months in!

Thanks for the reply...I'll post what the Dr says to maybe help others in search of answers.

Deb

Old 11-08-2005, 04:22 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

MrsLinda HB User

Yes please do let us know what the doctor tells you. Like I mentioned; my dr. is very puzzled why I have the discomfort when I lift the leg up and over something.

Good Luck and talk to you then.......

Old 11-08-2005, 12:16 PM   #7
(female)

debv HB User

Well the Dr said it seemed muscle related to him. He gave me 7 days of Vioxx samples and told me to try them, if no significant relief I'm to call his nurse and he will try something else for 7 days, if no relief he will try 10 days of steroids. I see him again the first week of December. He did make me feel better about the worry I had regarding the wrong size ball. He said they use the old ball to size the new one...measure it and install the same size...makes sense. Well at least he's doing something, hopefully some of the meds will help.

Have a great day,
Deb

Old 11-08-2005, 04:15 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

MrsLinda HB User

I thought they pulled Vioxx from the shelves?? Oh well...you can see how informed I am. Well I'm happy your fears were put to rest.

Lets hope the meds work; let me know. Thanks for letting us know how you made out.

Old 11-12-2005, 02:44 PM   #9
(female)

debv HB User

Sorry, I meant Celebrex. I'll post a follow-up after I've taken it for a week.

Old 01-07-2006, 05:41 PM   #10
(female)

peachpie HB User

I had my second hip replacement in November. I was doing so well my therapist was ready to discharge me after 3 weeks when severe groin pain occurred out of the blue. My surgeon x-rayed me and found replacement perfect as others have stated here. But my therapist found a muscle in my groin swollen (my husband says it felt like a rope) and prescribed heat followed by pressure, massage and stroking of the muscle involved. It has relieved me considerably. I implore anyone going through this excruciating pain to consult a therapist. Surgeons are only interested in what THEY have done. You must take control and you can recover from this. I am still bothered a bit and walk with aid of a cane but I do my prescribed treatment faithfully and know that I will conquer this. I had a hip replacement in my other hip 6 years ago and had no problem with groin pain. Your family doctor may agree to refer you to a therapist. Work on it.

Old 01-20-2007, 07:37 PM   #11
(male)

bdemory HB User

I had THR in December 2005. I've had groin pain since. While lying flat on back, I still can not do a straight leg lift - feels like someone is sticking a knife into the lower groin area.

At the four month check up, the Dr. said he had to cut through some tissues or tendons or muscles in the groin area, and said "that area does not like that sort of thing."

At the 12 month check up, the groin pain is still there, and he said he not only does not remember making the previous statement, but also said his notes showed nothing to that affect. He had no idea where the pain was originating, suggesting that it might be a hernia. Also thought a bone scan might be helpful in another year. With that, I told him I would take my business elsewhere and consult with a new doctor.

Saw the new doctor last week. He said the actual replacement looked great - but also had no clue on the groin pain. Said that there may be inflamed tissues or tendons or even a slight tear. Suggested massage therapy and cold/heat treatments. As a last resort, he said some sort of cortisone could be injected.

I'm totally frustrated. My wife and I are "gym rats" and at 56 years of age I'm still able ride stationary bikes and elipitical machines, but other daily routine movements are painful and restrictive. Guess I may have to get with it and get used to it - which will be a pain, literally. Any suggestions?

Old 01-21-2007, 01:57 AM   #12
Veteran
(female)

legallyblondied HB User

hi....am not sure i can be of any help here but your issue with groin pain this long after your surgery is highly unusual.
if your implant is fine, than the next step is to have an MRI done on that area to rule out iliopsoas bursitis, abscess or a tear in the groin area itself. An MRI will show all of this. You should not be living in this kind of pain. Karen

Old 01-21-2007, 05:43 AM   #13
Veteran
(female)

MrsLinda HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdemory View Post
I had THR in December 2005. I've had groin pain since. While lying flat on back, I still can not do a straight leg lift - feels like someone is sticking a knife into the lower groin area.

At the four month check up, the Dr. said he had to cut through some tissues or tendons or muscles in the groin area, and said "that area does not like that sort of thing."

At the 12 month check up, the groin pain is still there, and he said he not only does not remember making the previous statement, but also said his notes showed nothing to that affect. He had no idea where the pain was originating, suggesting that it might be a hernia. Also thought a bone scan might be helpful in another year. With that, I told him I would take my business elsewhere and consult with a new doctor.

Saw the new doctor last week. He said the actual replacement looked great - but also had no clue on the groin pain. Said that there may be inflamed tissues or tendons or even a slight tear. Suggested massage therapy and cold/heat treatments. As a last resort, he said some sort of cortisone could be injected.

I'm totally frustrated. My wife and I are "gym rats" and at 56 years of age I'm still able ride stationary bikes and elipitical machines, but other daily routine movements are painful and restrictive. Guess I may have to get with it and get used to it - which will be a pain, literally. Any suggestions?
Well not that this will make you "feel better" but reading your post seems as if I'm reading my own. Welcome! I haven't posted here in a long time but when I saw this reply I had to read it.

Like you, my replacement in 2004 was text book perfect!!! Everything went as well as any surgeon could expect. Except.... I can't step up right, if I go to step over my dog with a lifting and steping over motion it hurts and forget about straight leg lifts. You explained it perfectly; like someone is sticking a knife into your groin. Oh and getting up off the floor is a joke. I have to roll onto all fours, grab something and push up with the "good leg/hip" and pull.

There are no suggestions. My surgeon has no clue. He actually told me that "he felt bad because he took one pain away and left me with another".

I've more or less gotten use to it and adjust my daily activities. It has gotten somewhat better over the years. But it's no where where I feel it should be and the doctor knows this.

My only concern is the other hip. I've began to show signs of degeneration there and will definatly hold out as long as humanly possible before I even "think" of THR. If I'm left in the same situation I don't know what I'd do. I walk fine now don't get me wrong. But to not have total mobility in BOTH legs; well I don't think I'd like that one bit.

Good luck....I feel your frustration.

Old 01-21-2007, 07:29 AM   #14
(male)

bdemory HB User

Thanks for the quick responses - misery likes good company.

I agree that an MRI should be the next step, but both doctors I've visited in the past month said that they would gladly order an MRI if they thought it would help determine the problem - but neither thought it would be helpful. I disagreed, but that didn't convince them to change their belief.

As my wife reminds me, I should be thankful to still be able to exercise at the gym, which is true. However, I've lived an active life and am not willing to just accept a couple surgeons' dismissive attitudes about daily pain. Maybe a physical therapist is the next step - I suppose that's kinda tough to do though without a referal from a doctor.

Old 01-21-2007, 07:55 AM   #15
Veteran
(female)

MrsLinda HB User

I also had a second opinion and just like you, the doctor was very puzzled as to why I couldn't do the leg raise when laying flat. What even puzzled him more was that if he lifted the leg there was no pain. But don't let it go!!!! I bolted up so fast from the pain that he jumped back! Oh well. I keep telling myself that I am better than before the surgery. But when I have to occasionally walk up three or more flights of stairs I wonder.......

Let me know how you make out. BTW...we're the same age.

Closed Thread