It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2006, 04:24 PM   #1
(female)

Suzie248 HB User
Knee Replacement & Possible Infection

Hi,

I'm new here and hope this hasn't been discussed over and over to the point that everyone's tired of it. I had my TKR about 8 - months ago. I've went through 5 1/2 months of PT. My problem or I thought my only problem was not having full extension, to the point of limping just like I was prior to surgery. I even wore the Dynasplint brace, etc. The therapist pushed my knee so hard for all these months that I thought it was going to break into.
So, I'm still on pain medication, limping and can hardly stand up straight from the bed or chair. My doctor at one point, simply said that he had not guaranteed anything, very insensitive. I've changed doctor's and then I was sent to the Joint Replacement Doctor of the same orthopedic clinic. So, three weeks ago, they ordered lab work....last week it came back elevated and they removed fluid from underneath the replacement. They want to see me back next week with the results.
They mentioned that if there was an infection, they would remove this replacement and put in a "spacer". Then, weeks of antibiotic's and then do another TKR.
Is there anyone here that has had this happen to them or went through this experience? Any information or thoughts would be greatly appreciated. My next appointment is April 28.

Thanks,

Last edited by Suzie248; 04-18-2006 at 04:25 PM.

Old 04-19-2006, 05:36 AM   #2
Veteran
(male)

millpark26 HB User
Re: Knee Replacement & Possible Infection

Suzie248 ~
My Mom went through EXACTLY what you're describing. I'll do my best to answer any questions you may have!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-23-2006, 06:44 AM   #3
(female)

Suzie248 HB User

Thank You, millpark26,

My appointment is this coming Friday, the 28th. Just from what others have told me, it has made me a total wreck. I thought when I had the first TKR, life was going to go back to normal. Since my surgery, I've went from being a Lieutenant on a Police Department to a Dispatcher. I did get to keep my wages and benefits, but I loved the streets and had done it for 28 1/2 years. I really thought from what I had read about TKR, I would be up and about in a couple of months. The end of this month will be exactly 8-months. I am in worse shape now, than before my surgery. Thank Goodness, my dear husband has been with me throughout this horrible ordeal. I never heard one bad result when I went into this , never thought about anything going wrong.....I'm not saying that there are thousands that can give honest great testimonials about their surgeries, but I was left with nothing but despair.
All I wanted was to be able to quit hurting, I could even live with the limp, but this day an age, I thought the medical field had everything up to date. I can say that the doctor/s that I have now, are part of the same group, but one of the Director of the Joint replacement Hospital that I will be going back too.
The doctor that did my surgery, when things started going bad, he simply said there were no guarantees and that my only hope would be that the scar tissue may get soft in the 8/9 month and break away. When I told him about the second visit after surgery that I remember talking to him and trying to pull at my tourniquet, he quit talking to me..........but all of this is in the past, I just want to keep my leg and quit hurting, not limping would be a prayer, too.
Again, thanks for replying and I'll post and let you know what they tell me on Friday.

Old 04-24-2006, 04:29 AM   #4
Veteran
(male)

millpark26 HB User

Suzie248 ~
Have you had more that one TKR on the same knee already?

Old 04-24-2006, 10:12 AM   #5
(female)

Suzie248 HB User

No,

Just the only one done on August 31, 2005. I have had nothing but horrible trouble since day 1.
Thanks for your replies and concerns. The next step, if indeed there is no infection, will be to have another surgery, this replacement will be taken out and a new one replaced.

Thanks,
Suzie
[COLOR=DimGray]

Old 04-25-2006, 04:20 AM   #6
Veteran
(male)

millpark26 HB User

Suzie~
Why have they decided that you'll need to have the existing device replaced?

Old 05-04-2006, 10:00 PM   #7
(male)

WjamesL HB User

I am a 35 year old male and had a Knee replacement in November of 2001.
Befor the replacement I hade an ACL reconstruction 3 Knee scopes and a tibial asteotomy. Finaly they replaced it and told me that I would be good as new, well it hasent been, my checkups I am told everythimg looks good on X-ray and they just don't know why I still have so much pain. I am told it because of all the trauma I have had in my knee. I had help with pain for a while, but recently no one will help me with my knee pain. I can handle it during the day but night time pain keeps both me and my spouse awake cause I am complaining to her about it. Anyone have any help I would appreciate it.

Old 05-07-2006, 10:57 AM   #8
(female)

Lalacleaner HB User

Hi! I hope this helps. My husband had tkr April 12, 2005, 13 months ago. It was bad from the beginning. To simplify matters, he developed a blood clot and was hospitalized a week for that. He had to return to the dr's office every day for 4months to have his leg "packed". This of course weakend him very much. Finally after almost a year and 3 hospitalizations, they admitted he had staph infection. We changed doctors and they removed the implant on March 28, 2006. He has been home on iv antibiotics (vancomycin) and rifampin for almost 6 weeks. He also has the antibiotic spacer in his leg. We go back to the doctor Tuesday (May 9) To see if the infection is gone. If so, they will go in and remove the spacer and do another tkr. I hope this helps. This year has been torture for him as well as myself. He is in severe pain and is on a walker. He has developed sores on his palms from the walker. He was otherwise very healthy when he first had this done. Lalacleaner

Old 05-15-2006, 06:06 AM   #9
(female)

Suzie248 HB User

This is sad. Before I had my surgery, I never heard anything about the negatives. I just thought I had researched enough and the TKR was going to be the thing for me to end the pain and my limping. I never dreamed that the pain, limping, depression and financial difficulties would be this intense.
Since, I didn't have an infection in my replacement, I have just had a EMG on the lower extremities.....the doctor treated me like a dog. Left me in the room with blood smeared all over my leg. He was the pits. I was crying as I left the office.
But, now.....I'm scheduled for a MRI of my lower back. They are trying to rule out any muscle or nerve damage. How could there NOT BE ANY?
But, the only reason that they have gave me for my limping and pain is scar tissue.
My surgery is scheduled for June 13th. They have put me on Iron, mega vitamins, etc. I have to store 2 units of my own blood prior to surgery.
I wish all of you complete recovery.
Today, I really feel as though if you are one of the unlucky ones, and the first time doesn't turn out right.....there is NO hope.
Again.....many prayers for all of you out there with this problem.

Old 05-16-2006, 05:12 AM   #10
Veteran
(male)

millpark26 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzie248
Since, I didn't have an infection in my replacement, I have just had a EMG on the lower extremities.....the doctor treated me like a dog. Left me in the room with blood smeared all over my leg. He was the pits. I was crying as I left the office.
But, now.....I'm scheduled for a MRI of my lower back. They are trying to rule out any muscle or nerve damage. How could there NOT BE ANY?
But, the only reason that they have gave me for my limping and pain is scar tissue.
My surgery is scheduled for June 13th. They have put me on Iron, mega vitamins, etc. I have to store 2 units of my own blood prior to surgery.
I wish all of you complete recovery.
Today, I really feel as though if you are one of the unlucky ones, and the first time doesn't turn out right.....there is NO hope.
Again.....many prayers for all of you out there with this problem.
Suzie~ What is an EMG and why was blood smeared all over your leg? What are they planning on addressing during your surgery on June 13th? Sorry for all the questions but my Mom seems SO much like you and I'd love to share with her anything that you're discovering and/or going through.

Our thoughts are with you!

Old 05-16-2006, 05:49 PM   #11
(female)

Suzie248 HB User

>>>What is an EMG and why was blood smeared all over your leg? What are they planning on addressing during your surgery on June 13th? Sorry for all the questions but my Mom seems SO much like you and I'd love to share with her anything that you're discovering and/or going through. <<<

All I can say is that I hope your Mother finds some peace and become pain-free soon.

[REMOVED]

"TeleEMG is an EMG and Nerve Conductions Educational Site that strives to increase awareness and improve the understanding of medical tests used in the evaluation of nerve and muscle diseases, such as Carpal Tunnel, Diabetic Neuropathy, Low Back and Neck Pain, ALS and Muscular Dystrophies."

I really believe the doctor that did this test on me was unaware that I had a knee replacement. When he came into the room, he immediately told me to turn over on my stomach, so he couldn't have seen the scar. I have a bruise about the size of a 1/2 dollar right behind my knee and to the right. I think he hit the replacement. I did call back and complain and then wrote up a complaint. But, that will get you No [U]were.
When he walked out of the room, I went to get up as his assistant came in and when I looked down my entire leg was smeared with blood. The assistant helped me get cleaned up.

I am just so over doctor's........they act as though it's your fault if the KR doesn't come out well. I'm really scared as the time grows closer. I do have an appointment on May 26th with the doctor that's going to do this next surgery. There is a problem with this doctor, he is the Director of the Joint Replacement Center at the hospital that I will have surgery, but he is still partners with the surgeon that did the first surgery. So, will I get better treatment or will I just be thrown around as a patient with complaints?

Hopefully, I will not be intimidated by him and ask the right questions.

Thanks so much for replying to my post. It really does help. I just wish I had found this board before my first surgery. I just took it for granted that my problems would be over after surgery.

Last edited by HBMod07; 06-08-2006 at 08:08 AM. Reason: do not post urls that have posting boards

Old 05-17-2006, 07:52 AM   #12
Veteran
(male)

millpark26 HB User

Suzie ~
So, it sounds like you're still having a revision to the same knee? What indications/findings have they provide you to put your mind at ease that this is even necessary?

I can understand your aprehension dealing with this new guy. My Mom needs to have her other knee done as well. The surgeon who did her first one has a phenomenal reputation but she still continues to experience pain and discomfort despite every test, X-ray, etc. saying things look great. She's worried about the level of care she'll get from him knowing how much she's complained to him about the first operation but, is reluctant to use anyone else. It's just disheartening.

A suggestion I have for you is to use this time (prior to May 26th...) and write down every question that comes into your mind and take that with you. Then, there's less of a chance you'll be flustered during this consultation.

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE keep us posted on how you're doing!

Old 05-19-2006, 05:39 PM   #13
(female)

Suzie248 HB User

>>>What indications/findings have they provide you to put your mind at ease that this is even necessary?<<<<<<

They still haven't told me anything about what has happened to my leg. They are doing all these test, the EMG, the MRI of my back, etc. The one thing that I have heard them say is that they are looking for any signs of nerve or muscle damage. When they got the results back that there was No infection, they have went on to add more test. My primary care doctor told me yesterday that they are trying to cover all bases. But, I'm thinking now, if they do find out if there is any nerve or muscle damage, where will they go then? I just can't accept the fact that it would be impossible to not have this sort of damage after what the leg actually goes through with a TKR. I guess, that since I went through 5 1/2 months of grueling PT and my leg hasn't straigtened out and the pain has intensified, they feel as though something has to be done. I do have the feeling that they do not want to take this one out and work on it, but they are at lose to know what went wrong. All my x-rays show that everything is in place, too. But, my knee is curved so bad and I walk with such a limp and it's bothering my back and hips to a degree that they are trying to help me. I'm just hoping that the new doctor (still in the same group as the first surgeon) and the Director will be able to help me. He did mention that there are different types of prothesis. He mentioned one that is suppose to have more of a rotatating movement. Then , he mentioned that sometimes some patients do better with a different type. Since, I'm not medically inclined, I don't know what they are talking about. I don't even know what type I have at this time. I need to read more threads and post here to see about the different kinds.
<<<<She's worried about the level of care she'll get from him knowing how much she's complained to him about the first operation but, is reluctant to use anyone else. It's just disheartening.<<<<<<

[FONT=Georgia][COLOR=Purple]I know exactly how she feels. I made some crude remarks about my first surgeon to the new one and I'm worried about that a little. The first surgeon never read the therapist reports and never looked at my knee/leg even as I was complaining to him. I mentioned all of this to the new doctor. So, like you Mother, I'm concerned of getting better treatment or just being looked at as a complainging patient.
Did your Mother have home health therapy after her surgery? I did for 3 weeks and then I started going to a Therapy Center.
Also, did your Mother have the passive motion machine after her surgery? I didn't, but they have told me that they will use it on me this time and would probably be sent home with one.

Again, thanks for replying. My surgery is set for June 13. I still have to have the two units of blood stored before my surgery, so I will start that next week.

Please give your Mother my best wishes. Would you mind sharing her case with me?

My e-mail address is REMOVED]

Last edited by HBMod07; 06-08-2006 at 08:09 AM. Reason: Do not post email addresses, offboard communication is forbidden. Please read the posting rules.

Old 05-22-2006, 09:25 AM   #14
(female)

Lostwithin HB User

Suzy, I had a TKR in 2001. Thankfully I have not had a lot of problems,

I worked in a very well renoned Hospital that did only joint replacements. Hip, Knee, shoulder, you name it. I am not a nurse or doctor by in my work I had access to patient records and had to screen them as well has having gone through the surgery myself.

If you do not have an infection and are having to much pain and problems I would really really suggest you get a lawyer or make your insurance company let you go to another Hospital/clinic for a second opinion. You should not be having so much pain if the surgery was done correctly and or the parts of the knee are fitted to you correctly.

I am not saying that hopital/clinic is trying to cover up a mistake but this is your life and health your talking about and I you have ever right to demand answers before they go cutting you up again. Just because a surgery date has been set does not mean it can't be changed.

I think we hold doctors at times up like gods but its YOUR right to question them, drill them and get answers. If one treats you as you said the one did leaving you smeared with blood my goodness get another doctor. Do not put up with that. I know that last thing you feel like doing is battle with the insurance company but try to get someone there that will talk to you and get you to a qualified second opinion.

I worked in the joint replacment hospital for 15 years and I never remember someone having to have an implant replaced that did not have an infection or that the first surgery was not done correctly. Check it out hun.. please

Old 06-07-2006, 02:51 PM   #15
(female)

Suzie248 HB User

>>>I worked in the joint replacment hospital for 15 years and I never remember someone having to have an implant replaced that did not have an infection or that the first surgery was not done correctly. Check it out hun.. please<<<<

OMGosh,
This truly scares me. Next Tuesday is the day of my revision. I've taken off from work to get some things done. Thanks so much for your honest and very informational reply. I really wish this replacement had worked the first time around. The doctors do not give you any guarantees....which, I'm sure they are not suppose to.
Anyway....I'll try to be back ASAP after surgery. Please keep me in your thoughts.

Suzie

Closed Thread