It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2006, 04:12 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

MarianJ HB User
Question Tear in Right Gluteus Medius Tendon...

Hello Everyone
I have had bilateral hip pain for approximately 3 years. My rhematologist had said it was osteo & bursitis after reading my x-ray films. I did try one cortisone injection but it did not give me any relief. I finally went to see another doctor and he sent me for MRI's of both hips.

The IMPRESSION for right hip:
Small partial tear involving the right gluteus medius tendon at its insertion onto the greater trochanter without rupture. Signal from bone is normal apart from a tiny (6mm) anterior acetabular subchondral cyst without an underlying articular cartilaginous defect. Articular cartilaginous surfaces are preserved. A small amount of fluid within the left greater trochanter bursa of uncertain significance. Incidental 2.7 cm right adnexal cyst.

The IMPRESSION for left hip:
Mild gluteus medius tendinopathy and possible right adnexal cyst. Additional imaging of the pelvis can be obtained by sonography if clinically relevant.

My doctor told me that I need to see an orthopedic surgeon because of the tear in the tendon. Does anyone know if this tendon can heal itself? Thanks in advance for any help...
(¯`'·.¸..(¯`'·.¸ Jeanne ¸.·'´¯)..¸.·'´¯)
on L4,L5,S1 June 2003
Instrumentation = 2 Rods, 6 Screws, 2 Disc Spacers
FBSS-Failed Back Surgery Syndrome
Re-Herniated Disc's, L4-5, L-5 & S1
~CERVICAL~
Straightening of the Normal Cervical Lordosis.
Mild Congenital Narrowing of the Spinal Canal.
Degenerative Disc Disease (DDD)
Disc Osteophyte Complex
Compression Deformity & Spinal Lithiasis
C4-5, C5-6, C6-7 Herniated & Bulging Disc's
C4-5 & C5-6 , Cord Flattening at these levels.
Fusion & Discectomy on Level C5-6 - September 2005
Instrumentation = Titanium Plate & Screws

Removal of Gallbladder December 2005
Bilateral Chronic L4 versus L5 Radiculopathy
Slap Injury's of Bilateral Shoulders
Hyperlipidemia, Fibromyalgia, Osteoarthrosis, Bursitis, Tendonitis,
Tendonosis, Type ll Diabetes, Anemia, Asthma, Acid Reflux, IBS,
Migraine's, Sleep Apnea, Urinary Incontinence, Leukocytosis,
Polyneuropathy, Restless Leg Syndrome(RLS), Edema of Bilateral Legs & Feet.

Last edited by MarianJ; 06-07-2006 at 04:14 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-07-2007, 07:29 AM   #2
(female)

bowline2 HB User
Re: Tear in Right Gluteus Medius Tendon...

Jeanne -
I am just now seeing this post and am very curious as to your outcome. My mother recently had almost the identical verbiage about the partial tear and adnexal cyst on her last MRI report, and has been bounced around between an orthopaedic doctor and and orthopaedic surgeon. She has hardly been able to walk for the last month and no one has any answers.
Was anyone able to offer any for you?

Old 01-24-2007, 05:35 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

MarianJ HB User

Hello Bowline2

Sorry it took me so long to reply to your post. I haven't been online that much these days. As for my hips, I am still in constant pain. I did see an orthopedic surgeon for my bursitis, tendonitis and the tear in the muscle of my hip. I was told that the tear was very small and that wasn't the cause of my pain. I was given another cortisone injection and it hurt more than you can imagine. My injection prior to this one barely hurt at all.

As for the adnexal cysts, I had to go to see my gyn and get another ultra sound. My gyn is keeping an eye on them and I am praying that they don't grow any bigger. I just had another ultra sound last week, and got a call from my gyn. He wants me to come in for a consultation with him, so this must not be good. I am afraid that they may have grown or that I may have more fibroids.

Your mother should really seen her gyn concerning the cysts. These cysts are on the ovaries. As for busitis & tendonitis, this is very painful for me. But I have many problems with inflammation throughout my body. Your mother may have the same problem. Has she ever tried a cortisone injection? I have heard that they can help many people their pain, unfortunately I was not so lucky. These injections can also have some serious side effects for some people, but I took the chance as my pain is so horrible. I do pray that your mom can find a doctor that can help her. If I get any more help with my hips, I will post and let you know.

Old 03-06-2007, 11:36 AM   #4
(female)

slblake92 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomorrow View Post
Hello Bowline2

Sorry it took me so long to reply to your post. I haven't been online that much these days. As for my hips, I am still in constant pain. I did see an orthopedic surgeon for my bursitis, tendonitis and the tear in the muscle of my hip. I was told that the tear was very small and that wasn't the cause of my pain. I was given another cortisone injection and it hurt more than you can imagine. My injection prior to this one barely hurt at all.

As for the adnexal cysts, I had to go to see my gyn and get another ultra sound. My gyn is keeping an eye on them and I am praying that they don't grow any bigger. I just had another ultra sound last week, and got a call from my gyn. He wants me to come in for a consultation with him, so this must not be good. I am afraid that they may have grown or that I may have more fibroids.

Your mother should really seen her gyn concerning the cysts. These cysts are on the ovaries. As for busitis & tendonitis, this is very painful for me. But I have many problems with inflammation throughout my body. Your mother may have the same problem. Has she ever tried a cortisone injection? I have heard that they can help many people their pain, unfortunately I was not so lucky. These injections can also have some serious side effects for some people, but I took the chance as my pain is so horrible. I do pray that your mom can find a doctor that can help her. If I get any more help with my hips, I will post and let you know.

I am new to this board but have you found a solution to the tendonitis. I have the same condition due to a fall down the stairs in Aug 05 and I have been to Physical Therapy off and on for 2 yrs and I am still in pain. I tried cortisone shots and they last for about a month or two. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 03-31-2007, 09:18 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

MarianJ HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by slblake92 View Post
I am new to this board but have you found a solution to the tendonitis. I have the same condition due to a fall down the stairs in Aug 05 and I have been to Physical Therapy off and on for 2 yrs and I am still in pain. I tried cortisone shots and they last for about a month or two. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Hello Slblake92

Sorry to hear about your fall. I am also sorry to say that I have not found any relief for my pain yet. I still take my meds, anti-inflammatory's and muscle relaxants along with my daily pain medication for my back. If I ever find any solution for the tendonitis I will post again.

Old 04-17-2008, 12:21 PM   #6
(female)

rena6198 HB User

I had suffered for "only" a 1.5 years with outside hip pain. ...others are longer to diagnose because this is misdiagnosed, and rare. Due to my professional training I suspected a gluteus medius tendon tear in the beginning...although the orthopedists and PTs kept telling me it was trochanteric bursitis. I had gone to 3 PTs who kept insisting that the more I stretched and strengthened the area, I would find improvement. Activity only made it worse! Two surgeons, after cortisone shots that only provided temporary relief, wanted to do a bursectomy. To cut to the chase, I finally got a surgeon who right away thought this was not just bursitis.....he told me to find someone who has experience doing a tendon tear repair. At a seminar of 75 orthopedic surgeons, only one has done this repair and I live in a city of 3 million people. For anyone seeking surgery, as this is the only way to repair the tendon, there is a Dr. Brain Kelly at the hospital for Special Surgery on E. 70th in Manhattan. i was going to travel there, but at the last minute found someone 15 miles away.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rena6198 For This Useful Post:
fmrcm (12-21-2010), veeda (12-30-2010)
Old 04-18-2008, 07:47 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

MarianJ HB User

Thank You so very much for taking the time to share this information with us.

Old 07-24-2008, 08:34 PM   #8
(female)

njredfox HB User

good to find you online! i discoverd i had this same problem about 2 weeks ago after 2 years of pain. my doctor says the only thing that will repair is rest. how in the world do you rest your hip? let me know how it is going with you

Old 09-01-2008, 04:16 PM   #9
(female)

njredfox HB User
Tear in Right Gluteus Medius Tendon...

Any help out there on this "Tear in right gluteus medius"? I have been taking my doctors advise-rest. I have spent the last 3 weeks in a wheel chair-all day while I am at work. I think it did help-a little bit but it is still hurting. I stopped taking pain meds because I do not want to be reliant on them. Any ideas?

Old 01-02-2009, 09:11 AM   #10
(female)

Bette24 HB User

Reading your post was like reading my own history. Have you been able to fully resolve your problems with the gluteus medius tear? Was surgery the way to go for you and how successful was it? Thanks loads for any info you can give me. Unfortunately, I am unable to have an MRI due to a previous cerebral aneurysm clip (1978) so it has been very difficult to get an accurate diagnosis for my pain problem.

Old 01-02-2009, 10:54 PM   #11
(female)

njredfox HB User

I gave up on all doctors and started my own exercise plan. I am way better, walk with a cane once in a while to keep myself from walking sidewise. My tendon was a partail tear not a complete tear. I can just about stand on one foot, my bad hip side. I went through 5 doctors, 3 MRI's, 2 PT and about 7 differant drugs and totally gave up on all of them. I am almost totally pain free as well.

Old 01-04-2009, 11:24 AM   #12
(female)

Bette24 HB User

I really appreciate the responses I have received. Could you please tell me about "being able to stand on affected leg alone." I had a doctor tell me that because I was able to stand on my right leg I couldn't have a tear. I didn't understand what he meant by that. I did make the pain worse when I stood on my leg, but I was able to do it. Thanks.

Old 01-05-2009, 08:53 AM   #13
(female)

njredfox HB User

Well, I had a partial tear so perhaps that is the differance. A partial tear, however, sure does take a long time to heal and is very painfull. I had major back pain (from my funny walk), I had very serious hip pain and now because I had to rest for so long the muscules in my leg are very weak. I am working on getting them stronger with walking and exercise. When I stand on affected leg alone I am still not very strong and have to place my hand on something to balance myself. I still walk, once ina while, with a cane to steady myself but am very much better. The only doctor I felt had a clue was a sport doctor, have you tried one of those?

Last edited by njredfox; 01-05-2009 at 08:58 AM.

Old 01-06-2009, 06:01 AM   #14
(female)

Bette24 HB User

I went to a sports doc and he decided that I had problems with my spine that were causing the pain. I fully disagreed with this, and had a myelogam-CT which proved my back was OK. Today I am going to a plain orthopedics guy because I'm in so much pain I don't know where to turn to. The meds I have been taking only help for a short period of time. As I had previously mentioned I cannot have an MRI due to other medical problems, and a previous ultrasound showed a partial tear. I will ask this ortho to prescribe another ultrasound (the first was two years ago) to see if there has been any progression. Right now it is necessary for me to also get a prescription for a stronger pain med than I am now taking. Hopefully I will be able to get some help with my problem. Thanks for your response.

Old 01-07-2009, 03:06 PM   #15
(female)

njredfox HB User

Gee, you are having a tough time of it-sorry. I took Percocet (325 mg-4pills at a time) and 1 Cyclobenzaprine at night time only so I could get some sleep. I found that any movement in bed was just horrible. I did go through lots of other drugs that gave no relief.

Closed Thread