It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2006, 08:47 PM   #1
(female)

bumkneeflorida HB User
Thumbs up 6-6-6 was a lucky day for me! Workers Comp knee surgery approved after 8 months!

Hello, this is my first time posting as I am headed down the knee surgery road and thought I would share my journey.

It has been a rough road, from an on the job Hurricane Wilma injury in October 2005, three weeks out of work as we had no electricity here in south florida so I couldn't see an Ortho, I finally got an appointment and was so happy I didn't even care that I had to maneuver on crutches around the many trash cans scattered throughout his office that were catching the water streaming from the leaks in the roof! Then it was another week before the electricity at the MRI center was on so I could have one........then two months of physical therapy cuz the first ortho thought an MRI showing an inflamed superolateral plica (which is present in only 1% of the population by the way) with a lateral patellar tilt, moderate chondromalacia, patellar spurs, myoxid degeneration in all three joints all with severe swelling making bending or flexing excruciating wasn't a big deal!

Well......I realized early on that he was a real "workers comp doctor" and decided that since I wasn't going to get a lawyer I would have to be my own. So......I got educated on the Florida Workers Comp Laws and immediately requested a one time change in treating physicians. In Florida the Carrier has to respond within 5 days with another doctor.

I got lucky, This doctor was not only a very knowledgable Ortho but he himself had a lateral plica just like mine. His became inflammed due to professional bike riding, and he had to have arthroscopic surgery to remove it.

He immediately ordered another MRI (this was 7 months post injury) and there was still severe swelling...he recommended surgery immediately. Well as the system goes it took several letters to the Florida Department of Workers Compensation asking them to intervein on my behalf with the Carrier. The laws provide that if surgery is recommended, the Carrier has 5 days to approve, deny or request further info. Of course the Carrier requested further info......even sent a nurse practionioner to meet with my doctor to find out if my knee problems were due to the work injury or degenerative. My wonderful doctor explained how the plica was damaged during my injury and that this would not get better on its own or through therapy.

Yesterday, 6-6-06......I got the call.......Surgery approved! Finally!

I will keep you updated, with shorter postings as the days unfold from pre-surgery, to surgery, to post-surgery.

I look forward to all of you who have been through the surgery route to fill my postings with insight and tips to help make my recovery as smooth as can be considering the circumstances.

I love this board.......and hope ya'll don't get sick of my rambling......I'm just so happy to finally be seeing light at the end of the tunnel!
Thanks for listening!
Caroline

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-08-2006, 08:05 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB User
Re: 6-6-6 was a lucky day for me! Workers Comp knee surgery approved after 8 months!

Welcome to the board and good luck with the surgery, I hope it works out for you! Feel free to share your stories and don't worry of anyone getting sick of you because we won't!

Barbie

Old 06-08-2006, 02:18 PM   #3
(female)

bumkneeflorida HB User
Re: 6-6-6 was a lucky day for me! Workers Comp knee surgery approved after 8 months!

Barbie:
Thank you for the well wishes.....I'm honored to have you reply to my thread. I see you are a long time poster and have a lot of experience with ortho matters. I noticed you are having hip surgery next month. You must be in so much pain right now.... I feel for you.

My surgery will be a piece of cake compared to yours.

I'm sending you an e-angel to watch over you and help make your surgery and recovery a successful one ...
C

Old 06-09-2006, 09:35 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thank you I've been through 13 surgeries since a child, of those 12 of them were orthopedic related. I've been through knee, hip, shoulder and neck surgeries for many different reasons. You tend to learn as you go along in life. I do a lot of reading up on new technologies and the like just in case I'll need it for the future .

I hope your sugery goes well and you have minimal or no pain! No matter the surgery there's usually a bit of pain just from the incision itself but that generally goes away in about a week or so!

Keep us updated

Barbie

Old 06-09-2006, 12:01 PM   #5
(female)

bumkneeflorida HB User

Barbie:

With your history of surgeries you must be a big fan of cryotherapy. I find that I couldn't live with the pain from my knee or the physical therapy I was in for 2 months, if I didn't know that as soon as I got home I could put on my cryo cuff, pop a pain pill, elevate my leg and say "aahhhh"

The one good thing my first ortho did for me was order me a cryotherapy machine. Really is amazing.

Caroline

Old 06-09-2006, 05:39 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

I own my own Cyro cuff for my knees too! I love the thing, it definately relieves swelling quickly and like you said it feels good! It was my phsyical therapist who ordered me one after my 4th knee surgery, it's a shame I never got to use one sooner I think it really would of helped with some of the post op swelling problems I had. I had never heard of one up until I got mine. I guess they make them for the shoulder and a few other joints as well.

Closed Thread