It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2006, 09:36 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

gingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB User
Meniscus Tear Surgery?????

My husband had arthroscopic surgery to repair a meniscus tear 10 months ago. The surgeon did not recommend any physical therapy after the surgery, and suggested he resume his normal activity as soon as the pain went away.
The pain continued, and he went back to the surgeon two or three times in the next 4 months only to be told that because of the surgery and the arthritis he would feel some pain for awhile. After 10 months his knee still locks up, and the pain is consistent. Arthritis strength pain medication doesn't do the job, and he doesn't want to take anything stronger. I keep after him to see the surgeon again, or another ortho doctor, but he refuses.
He doesn't want to give another doctor the chance to 'screw it up' any more than it is. I would like to hear from others who have had the surgery, and have managed to have no pain after 10 months, or can keep the pain to a manageable level. What type of rehabilitation did you do after surgery? When did you notice a measurable decrease in pain? Has any body had to have the surgery a 2nd time? Any help would be appreciated! Thanks! By the way, he is 54 years old, and his job requires a lot of walking.

Old 06-15-2006, 09:51 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB User
Re: Meniscus Tear Surgery?????

Generally speaking a meniscus tear operation is pretty basic and most heal quite rapidly from it. I was feeling better after only a few short weeks and considering I usually take a long time to heal due to lack of an immune system, I did pretty well.

I didn't have when the meniscus only was fixed, but I have had therapy when other proceedures were involved like when my ACL was reconstructed.

He could have OA going on in the knee which could be the source of the pain. If he doesn't and the problem is the tear only, he should not be hurting some 10 months later. He really needs to get a second opinion or question the doctor in regards to OA or any other signficant problem with the knee. If it is OA it may be something he either needs to learn to live with or take prescription anti-imflamatories until the time comes for a TKR.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-22-2006, 09:00 AM   #3
(female)

sivyaleah HB User

After my meniscus removal surgery, I had 12+ sessions of physical therapy. I don't understand what doctor would not recommend some amount of PE afterwards, it makes no sense. There are issues of learning to walk properly afterwards, balance, etc. plus the area is very swollen and the therapist worked on getting rid of that swelling as well. The muscles suffer somewhat too behind the knee after surgery and these need to be built up again. Maybe for tear repair it's different?

I'm 1-1/2 years post surgery. Was doing great until about 6 months ago when I noticed I was having some problems still when taking stairs and long walks, but my problem is only because apparently my knee has an issue with being hyperextended - a structural problem I was born with. So, my doctor has sent me back for some more PT to strengthen the tendons again (it causes tendonititis since the muscles are always working overtime because of it being hyperflexed).

Anyway, your husband really should see someone about this as there is no reason this far down the road he should be experiencing any problems except that IMHO he wasn't given proper aftercare once surgery was accomplished.

Old 06-23-2010, 09:34 PM   #4
(male)

drzmacho HB User

uhm well i had it and you REALLY HAVE TO TAKE PHYSICAL THERAPY and yea i understand what he means but i would really recommed him to see another doctor because it can get even worst trust me i didnt take physical therapy seriously and now im going to have my 2nd operation again on 7-15-10 really sucks

Old 06-28-2010, 10:29 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

jerseyboy HB Userjerseyboy HB User

Your husband really should go get a second opinion if he is not satified with the result that he got. When my knee was scoped 10 years ago my doctor didn't order PT either, didn't even suggest I use ice for that matter. Up until my TKR in March I wuld routinly tell people that I was better off before I had the scope. Your husbands doctor doesn't sound too swift, get the second opinion.
Right TKR 3-31-10
Left TKR 7-7-10

Old 06-28-2010, 02:19 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

barb70 HB Userbarb70 HB Userbarb70 HB Userbarb70 HB Userbarb70 HB User

I agree with everyone also. SEE another doctor that knows better than not to have scheduled therapy. No one should put up with this kind of thing for so long.

Closed Thread