It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-15-2006, 02:01 PM   #1
(male)

drewski HB User
30 Years Old, Having Partial Hip Replacement In A Few Months.

I was browsing the web trying to find information on Partial Hip Replacements and there seems to be a ton of information regarding what to expect before, during and after but not alot of feedback from people that have actually had them. Especially someone of my age (30).

I developed Leg Perthes when I was a child (3 years) and against all odds I beat the 95% who came out with a limp, wheelchair or cane and ended up developing a leg that allowed me to play in all sports and actually dunk a basketball at 5'5". It was abnormal but they said around 5% are capable of doing just that. I was blessed and lucky...

Although, now i'm 30 and have recently been scheduled to go in for a partial hip replacement. I have a 3 year old and another child on the way and I typically lead an active life. I can't say that I'm not afraid of the outcome to not be able to do the things with my children that I always dreamt of doing because of limitations of my hip.

Here is one of my most major questions for all of you... What would be the best exercise / workout to get my body and hip in shape before the surgery? I have a few months and would like to get on a regular routine to make sure I'm in top shape before I go in under the knife.

Should I look into buying a exercise bike? I already have free weights and a nice bench and leg press... I haven't exercised in some time ... used to be a physical fitness champion in high school so getting started again wouldn't be a problem other than motivation..

Please if anyone knows of a good routine... what equipment I should look at or what not... I would greatly appreciate it.

Oh one more question... I almost went pro in golf and wondering if golf is something that is doable after any type of hip surgery? "CROSSING FINGERS!!"

Let me know. I appreciate it.
Andrew

Last edited by drewski; 06-15-2006 at 02:01 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-16-2006, 10:44 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

CoyoteBound HB User
Re: 30 Years Old, Having Partial Hip Replacement In A Few Months.

Drewski,

My Mom had a total of 3 hip replacements and thats because she had to have the surgery done on the right side twice. Infection had set in and thats why they had to go in and take the old hip replacement out and then replace it again. The problem with my Mom was after her surgery her right leg was a lot shorter than than the left one. Now I don't know if things has changed since back when she had hers done, but they told her that hip replacements are only good for 10 years. She didn't have any good luck at all with hers, but one thing too is she didn't take care of her self like she should have. As far as the exercises goes, I really don't know about that. I do know that after her surgeries, they sent a physical therapist out to her house to do exercises on her that would help her gain strength back in her hip. I wish you a lot of luck with yours. Just because my Mom's didn't work out, does not mean that yours won't so don't give up. keep us updated okay?

Old 06-17-2006, 07:07 AM   #3
(female)

Ripanco HB User

Hi Andrew,
I think you are very smart to realize how important it is to get in shape before your surgery. I too am very athletic. Even tho my bad hips were starting to interfere with my athletics I was in good physical condition in general before I found out I needed 2 new hips. I had a 2 month wait. I worked my butt off to get as strong as possible before my surgery. It paid off big time as I set all kinds of records at the hospital for getting back on my feet and out of there!! And I continued to make wonderful progress in returning to my active life.

I would suggest you concentrate on getting strong. I backed off my cardio and really started hitting the weights. I also backed off stretching (yoga) to let my muscles,tendons, ligaments get a little tight. I worked my whole body, but really made sure to hit my core and upper body. You want to try to be as lean as possible too. With your background, you should have no problem coming up with a good routine, or do some web searching for sites with workouts. I really like using an exercise ball instead of our bench for the added core workout. Sounds like you have just about all you need to really get strong. Maybe some resitance bands.

I also hit the pool up a few times a week and did hours of pool running as well as leg/arm workouts in the water. That was the only 'running' I was able to do then. I was so buff by the time my surgery came around I could have entered a body building contest!!

I don't golf, but look at Jack Nicholas, the poster boy for Stryker THR!! I know of several golfers with THR too. I can do just about anything I want now too as long as I watch where my knees end up!

Congrats on the upcoming baby! good luck,

Andrea

Old 06-19-2006, 08:41 AM   #4
(male)

drewski HB User

I appreciate the feedback. It's hard because i'm 30 and every bit of advice or information that I've received or found has to do with individuals between 50 and 70 of age. There isn't alot of information for a young buck like myself that has to go through this type of surgery, but I appreciate the feedback.

I bought a ProForm XP90 stationary bike this past weekend and I have a free weight bench & leg press as well. Now I just need to figure out a workout that will strengthen my hip and not make it worse. I don't have access to a pool so that would be out of the question but I'm hoping the stationary bike will provide the strength and endurance training that I'll need in the two months that I have to get me in shape.

I'm thinking of using the bike for an hour a day and free weights 3 times a week?

Not sure.

Thanks for the feedback.

Drew.

Old 07-19-2009, 11:29 AM   #5
(female)

swamptwin HB User

i was in car accident when i was 32. my hip sockey was shattered and my pelvic bone broken in 3 places. It was a long slow recovery. I followed the doctors orders to a tee. It has been 5 years. I have can do everything i was doing before accident, unless my leg is in an awkward or twisted position. The more active i stay the less i hurt. Good luck

Old 07-21-2009, 11:37 AM   #6
(female)

paonce HB User

Ok I am 33 years old and had a total right hip replacement,

Last edited by moderator2; 07-23-2009 at 09:24 PM. Reason: posted disallowed website(s) - please read the posting rules

Old 05-08-2010, 08:56 AM   #7
(female)

Just Me 17 HB User

I just had a partial hip replacement on the 26th of April . I am experiencing some pain still and walk alot but I am very sore later.

Closed Thread