It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-20-2006, 03:12 PM   #1
(female)

Moopy HB User
Talking Has anybody else broken their hip and had it fixed with pins?

Hi,

I am new to this forum so I will start by telling you all a bit about my story!

I was injured in a car accident just over two year ago now and as a result I fractured my pelvis, hip and ulna. The hip fracture was the most serious of the three injuries (I almost took the femur clean off!) and it was fixed with three titanium pins. I spent a month in hospital and came home in a wheelchair before progessing to crutches and learning to walk again! I am now leading my normal life again and it doesn't really prevent me from doing aything. However, I do have a difference in my leg lengths (resulting in a slight limp) and I suffer with some pain in the hip and bottom area. I am also still suffering with the nerves in the leg and get awful cramps in my calf muscle.

Has anybody out there experienced similar? I would like to know if what I am experiencing is normal - I sometimes feel guilty for moaning, when I could have been a lot worse off - but I have nothing to compare it to!!!

Regards
Claire

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-23-2006, 02:06 AM   #2
(female)

Moopy HB User
Re: Has anybody else broken their hip and had it fixed with pins?

There must be somebody out there with a similar experience?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-23-2006, 07:36 AM   #3
(female)

mand68 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moopy
Hi,

I was injured in a car accident just over two year ago now and as a result I fractured my pelvis, hip and ulna. The hip fracture was the most serious of the three injuries (I almost took the femur clean off!) and it was fixed with three titanium pins. I spent a month in hospital and came home in a wheelchair before progessing to crutches and learning to walk again! I am now leading my normal life again and it doesn't really prevent me from doing aything. However, I do have a difference in my leg lengths (resulting in a slight limp) and I suffer with some pain in the hip and bottom area. I am also still suffering with the nerves in the leg and get awful cramps in my calf muscle.

Has anybody out there experienced similar? I would like to know if what I am experiencing is normal - I sometimes feel guilty for moaning, when I could have been a lot worse off - but I have nothing to compare it to!!!

Regards
Claire
I am getting my right hip broken in 3 places in 17 days I too do not know what to expect I have no idea how long I will be off my feet for they will reset it with pins by the way how long is your scar and where did they cut you
Mand68

Old 06-23-2006, 12:59 PM   #4
(female)

Moopy HB User

Hi,

May I ask why you are having your hip broken in three places?

I will answer your questions, but due to the differences in circumstances, I am doubtful if your experience will be exactly the same as mine.

Due to the hip being fixed with pins as well as the fracture in the pelvis, I was unable to put any weight on my right leg and only partial weight on my left leg for the first six weeks (which I spent either in bed or in a wheelchair. The next six weeks were spent on crutches, as I was only able to put partial weight on my right leg and full weight on my left leg. (Somebody having a full hip replacement operation is usually up and walking with a zimmer frame the next day!!). I then spent a number of weeks have physio and learning to walk properly again - I had a slight difference in my leg lengths and so was walking with a limp for quite a while.

They cut me on the outside of my thigh (just a bit further down from the hip) and the scar is only about an inch long! I was amazed at how they could put in such long pins through such a small hole and I only had four stitches! I would imagine that as your hip is being broken in three places the scar would be slightly longer - I know that it is longer (and higher up) when having a full hip replacement.

I hope that this answers your questions. Please don't worry - it is not as bad as it sounds!!

Let me know how you get on and just ask if there is anything else I can help you with!

Regards
Claire

Last edited by Moopy; 06-23-2006 at 01:00 PM.

Old 07-18-2006, 01:36 PM   #5
(male)

geekfound HB User

Hi Claire,

I'm new as well, and joined to reply to your post... Seems like we're fewer and further between than I thought.

I'm in my 20's and was in relatively good shape before the accident. Was involved in a water sports accident and broke my hip at the femoral neck. They were able to orthoscopically place three titanium pins / bolts into the femoral neck and I wound up with three small incisions (each about the size of a pencil eraser head)- pretty lucky all things considered.

From what he's told me the largest concern is that the blood vessels won't repair if badly injured and there's a chance I might need a THR. He didn't really say what my chances were though, so I've been pretty stressed about that.

As far as pain goes, (and not trying to sound macho or anything) but my surgeon and nurses the night of the hospital said I had an unusually high tolerance for pain- so other people may be worse off. The higher tolerance for pain also prompted my orthopedic surgeon to want to keep me on crutches longer (probably 12 weeks) and stress that I can only do touch down weight balance during that time.

As far as discovering I had a high tolerance- pre-accident I'd never broken a bone, had surgery, or even been in a hospital to treat an ailment. The accident happened in a lake, and I immediately felt a great deal of pain, but thought I maybe dislocated or badly tore a muscle in my thigh. After floating around in the water for a few minutes I pulled myself up the ladder on the skiboat and got into the boat on my own... Was going to try and get comfortable so as not to have to cut the day short for everyone else, but couldn't really get the paint to subside no matter what I did... Decided I was going to need xrays, so we trolled the boat back to the dock... Two friends helped me out of the boat and into my stupidly low, stupidly small car and another friend drove me to the hospital in that. Once at the hospital my friend got a wheel chair and I pulled myself out of the car onto and balanced on my good [right] leg.
I sat in the ER for about 2 hours before being triaged, and then another hour before they were able to get me in for xrays. Getting from the wheel chair onto the xray table was very painful, and as soon as the xrays were taken I was shown a very clear break through my femoral neck. The xray technician said I was going to need surgery immediately (this was about 10pm)... He went to go find a spot to put me and the triage nurse came in after hearing about what had happened and told me she couldn't believe I'd just sat there for two hours without complaining- and that my type of injury was considered trauma and should've been admitted immediately. (Oops)
I was then put onto a gurney and taken to pre-op where I got an IV, some blood taken, and pain medication (via IV). Having never had an IV or pain medication via IV that was a new experience... I don't remember what they gave me, but I do remember that it caused slightly belabored breathing, but did help with the pain...
About an hour later the orthopedic surgeon showed up and explained that my type of injury was fairly serious and that there were basically three possibilities. 1. Align the hip with a fluroscope (real time xray with jig to manipulate leg) and place three titanium pins through pinky sized incisions. 2. If the hip is badly out of alignment, create a 6" incision and place three titanium pins. 3. If the hip is completely displaced and broken in multiple places, he'd close me up and I'd have to get a total hip replacement. So we're voting for 1, obviously... Twenty minutes or so later, I was wheeled into OP...

I woke up around 2am or so in Post-OP hacking and coughing... I dozed off and woke up coughing over the next few hours and was at some point moved to a room. Next morning the orthopedic surgeon came to my room and said that despite it being much worse than he'd anticipated he was able to place the pins through the smaller incisions and was very happy with the alignment he was able to achieve. He said that pending my ability to use crutches later with the physical therapist I'd be able to return home later that afternoon.

The physical therapist showed up around 2pm or so and helped me learn to use crutches (took about 15 minutes because I have two stairs where I live and she wanted to make sure I was capable of navigating them before releasing me) Around 3pm I was relased and brought home.

Week 1: Day 1 home I take the Vicadin they prescribed, though I only take 1 every 6 hours rather than the maximum (2 every 4). Day two I take a Vicadin in the morning, and none thereafter. The leg is very weak and you have to kind've help it up onto couches or beds with your good leg. Any kind of rapid acceleration or deceleration causes sharp pain.

Week 2: Showering is by far the most difficult activity because I have a tub type shower and have kind've engineered a way to enter and exit. (Basically support all body weight with crutch and sort've pole vault in onto the good leg) Leg is still weak and needs to be helped, but sleeping better than before. Yellow bruising shows up on the inside of my thigh (directly opposite the point of surgery) Late week 2 I have the follow up and xrays and despite having a bone fragment that was left floating around, he says it's looking good so far and is happy with alignment. I schedule an appointment for Week 6 to come back.

Week 3: A little stronger every week... I only have to help the leg up about 50% of the time now. I am experiencing pain when I sit in an office chair for long periods of time. (Home office)

Week 4: Same story, only helping leg about 25% of the time.

Week 5: Week 4 was probably the largest improvement, as I don't have to help the leg at all anymore and can rotate from sitting posisition to laying posistion on a couch or bed at anytime. Still having office chair pains.

And that's where I'm at now...

Could you detail your recovery process as far as your hip is concerned?
Do you do any high impact sports now, do you experience pain?
I know it's rude to ask a womans age, but at what age did you sustain the injury?
Did you have the pins removed?
Been through airport security since having the pins? :P

I'm sure I'll think of some more.

Thanks much!
James

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moopy
Hi,

Regards
Claire

Old 07-21-2006, 01:41 PM   #6

kfstinson HB User

Hi Moopy,
I just joined and your post caught my eye. I'm 39 and 6 weeks ago had my hip replaced because when I was 13, I had 3 pins put into the ball of my hip. I had the pins removed about 10 years ago. I'm not quite sure if it is the same kind of surgery because my orthopedists 10 years ago told me that my kind of surgery would not be done today. The technology has really advanced in 26 years!

Old 08-05-2006, 03:16 PM   #7

crayonstud HB User

I, like Geekfound, broke my hip at the femoral neck.
3 pins and about a 9 inch scar. Needless to say I don't like riding horses anymore.

Showering was definitely the hardest task.

It has been 1.25 years since the surgery

I regained mobility without the use of crutches after about 9 weeks but used a cane for a while to transition. My concern now is that every now and then, it will pop and today it did as I was crossing my legs and it kinda hurt. I can walk without a limp or anything but the popping scares me. Is it the pins or something? I am not sure why it would pop like that, other than the pins.

The doctors told me that after about 6 months you would start to know if your hip was degenerating due to lack of blood caused by the break. There would be more pain in the bone itself, pain while walking, you get the picture. Thats been a big fear of mine since the accident, but worse case, a THR takes hardly any recovery time, except for the muscular aspects. The replacement hips themselves can last forever with no malfunction.

Oh well, in summary, does anyone know what would cause the popping?

Old 08-05-2006, 11:06 PM   #8
(male)

geekfound HB User

I think there's a tendon that runs from hip to knee, could be that popping? I experience(d) the popping too, it's not extremely painful but pretty disconcerting. Also wondering if it's maybe the muscles / tendons rubbing against the heads of the pins and releasing? I feel definite pain when sitting in a high bolstered chair for awhile in the muscles- my doctor explained that pins aren't actually holding the bone together, they're for alignment, the bone can actually slide on the pins; so it stands to reason they stick out further than the bone.

I'm at about 8 weeks and it's definitely feeling stronger, pretty sure I tore something in my knee so it'll be back on crutches not too long after the hip is done healing. My doctor said at 6 weeks that everything was looking good and at 10 weeks I should be able to make a smooth transistion to walking because of my age and that I've been off it for so long.

Finally got all the bills in hand, for those wondering it's about $32,000. That's less than 24 hours in the hospital and the surgery. No ambulence, etc.

Rough breakdown:

Hospital [OR,Recovery,Nurses,etc]: $28,000
Orthopedic Surgeon: $3000
Anesthisologist: $1000

Good luck all!

Old 12-15-2008, 07:26 AM   #9
(male)

conceptsails HB User
Wink Re: Has anybody else broken their hip and had it fixed with pins?

I am 30 years old and got hit by a car fracturubg the neck of the femour back in april this year. I got ambulanced to hospital and 3 pins put in. I also felt very little pain which i found odd. I was on crutches for 12 weeks and then physio and now apart from the odd dull ache usually on cold or damp days, it feels fine. I was really worried about the blood starvation as well as i am a very active person and dont want a THR whatever anyone says about how good they are. I am due to get the pins out in January which will be 9 months however they have told me to take it easy on the impact sports untill the midle of next summer. This really got me down for a long while but essentially there are people a lot worse off than me and at present all appears to be healing normally so the lack of fun should only be tempary.
I am interested to hear if anyone has had the pins out.. what was that operation like and more importantly, how long is the recovery - those look like pretty big screws to me which will leave pretty big holes!
Also my advise would be to get a few opinions of medical people. I have a team of people working on me and all of them have a differant opinion on how long it will be for me to recover and the risk of AVN (blood starvation thingy) this had ranged from not going to happen to may happen any time in the next 2 years! If you get a few opinions you can always chose to believe the most positive to cheer yourself up!

Old 08-26-2009, 07:21 PM   #10
(male)

brokenhipster HB User

I broke my femoral neck and got 3 pins too. Done at 30 and now 35 with aches. Can't run or do the things I used to. Killed my game in the ladies dept. Financial ruined. My pins don't set off metal detectors. Anyone hear of stem cell stuff to fix hip?

Closed Thread