It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2006, 08:56 AM   #1
(male)

drewski HB User
Recumbent VS. Upright? Getting Partial Hip Replacement.

I'm having a partial hip replacement in a month and recently I bought a recumbent exercise bike to somewhat get my hip into shape before the surgery. Although, recently I've heard that I won't be able to use that type of bike after the surgery due to sitting in a 90 degree... Does anyone know anything about this? My time to return the bike is dwindling down so any advice would be great... Thanks!!

By the way, alot of people are telling me that I should do a resurface procedure on my hip instead of a partial hip. Unfortunately, I have quite a bit of dead bone at the top of the joint and i'm unable to do a resurface. It needs to be gutted out and then replaced with a half joint. There is also dead bone on the shaft of the joint as well... So, partial hip was the logical choice unfortunately. Thanks for all the advice though.

Old 07-11-2006, 06:28 AM   #2
(female)

Ripanco HB User
Re: Recumbent VS. Upright? Getting Partial Hip Replacement.

Hi Drew,

Since you are having a partial replacement and mine was full, my experience may not be the same for you, so I would go to the source, call your surgeon and ask him/her. I can and do go past 90 degrees all the time. My only life long restrictions are to keep my knees from crossing and if I do bring my knees to my chest, to keep the knees apart. Most surgeon's put you on the restriction for just a few weeks following surgery. I have heard of some surgeons who are extra cautious and impose the restriction for life.

I ride a mountain bike and have started to really hit some tougher trails again!!

Andrea

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-11-2006, 07:26 AM   #3
(female)

legtoolong HB User

Hi,
My surgeon said no recumbant bike ever. Andrea is right--your doc is the best source for what your restrictions will be.

Old 07-12-2006, 09:15 PM   #4
(male)

rp_aust HB User

Drewski

As you know, I suggested that you look at resurfacing due to your age and hoped for activity levels post operation. However, sometimes resurfacing is not possible due to the condition of the underlying bone. I would suggest though that you get your X-rays in front of an experienced resurfacing surgeon for a second opinion. Your surgeon's aim of doing a partial replacement really makes me question his competence. Partial hip replacements have been abandoned everywhere but in the USA due to the poor outcomes. They take a long time for rehabilitation, and range of movement and activity levels are not as good as could be achieved. If you are precluded from getting a resurfacing, then the next best thing would be a large ball metal on metal THR. ie a full THR not a partial one. The large ball would make dislocation very unlikely (as with a resurfacing) and activity levels would be much better. If you go ahead with partial replacement then return the exercise bike before the operation - it will be of no use to you afterwards. If you investigate alternatives and get a large ball MOM THR, keep the bike.

Cheers

Closed Thread