It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2006, 12:19 PM   #1
(female)

gmanson171 HB User
worn meniscus

What future problems could arise as a result of a worn meniscus? Background info: A few months ago I had a bone scan for my lower leg, but it also showed "hot spots" at the lateral and medial condyles of both knees. Since the right was worse then the left, I had an MRI, which showed a worn meniscus. However, the doctor isn't to concerned about it right now since it hurts more when I am active and I'm currently recovering from surgery.

Old 07-11-2006, 12:53 PM   #2
(female)

alzannod HB User
Re: worn meniscus

Hope your recovery goes well.

I had bone on bone (my meniscus was basically gone in one knee and caused severe osteoarthritis.) I went for a 3 phase bone scan to confirm and lit up like a christmas tree due to the extent of the damage. I had a total knee replacement (best decision I could have made).

Although you're not active right now if the meniscus keeps degenerating who knows. There are alternatives. Your should be able to answer those questions.

I don't know how long you've had the problem. I had knee problems for over 40 years - worn meniscus' in both knees. So, how long you'll have before anything further needs to be done depends on your body. The osteoarthritis in one of my knees progressed very quickly after the last arthroscopic surgery (within a year.) My other knee remains the same but I was told to expect another TKR in the future.

Hope this answers your question.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-12-2006, 05:43 AM   #3
(female)

gmanson171 HB User

Thanks for the reply.

My knee pain actually came on suddenly. I use to run a lot, but had to stop due to the compartment syndrome. When I ran, my knees would hurt in the begining, the pain would go away while running, and then it would return a few hours after running. When I stopped running, I started to use a stationary bike more, and would experience some pain. Eventually, it got to the point where my knees hurt while going up and down stairs, and they hurt to leave bent in certain positions. Currently, I can't do lunges or squats in the gym and I really don't like stairs. There are good days and bad days when it comes to pain.

Right now, since I am not active, I don't have to much pain. However there are tender spots on the lateral side of the right knee and the medial side of both knees. I just worry about returning to activity. Eventually, I need to be able to run in order to play lacrosse.

Currently, my doctor is more worried about my recovery. He doesn't think it's a big problem right now, but once I am active, I'm only going to be able to deal with so much pain.

Old 07-12-2006, 06:21 AM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

I have a damaged meniscus from high school. It wasn't a bad tear so I've never done anything about it. Stair machines and bikes are off limits per my doc...and I can verify that! Not fun. But I do jog but don't haveany problems as long as it is flat or downhill. Uphill is another issue!

Closed Thread