It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2006, 07:52 PM   #1
(female)

Jon7346 HB User
pain inner right knee?

Hi, the other day I had gotten up from the couch and my knee hurt...pretty bad. Let me back up. I should tell you that my right knee hurts on occasion while playing volleyball and other acitivites. Sometimes while getting up from the floor and I put weight on my knee to stand (right foot flat on ground push up to stand) I get this weird tear or pain feeling right down the front of my knee. Anyway, I got up and I had this pain on the inner knee. Looking down at my leg, it's to the left on my knee cap and definitely on the side of my knee. Where if I were to bang my knees together while sitting it's where they would hit, maybe slightly closer to my knee cap. ANYWAY. It went away. It will hurt sometimes if I sit and stand up. While walking around it will hurt random times. It feels almost like its bone rubbing, I know it's probably not but thats what it feels like...its a strange feeling. Yes it hurts but now it just hurts mildly or its more annoying pain/feeling. Then it's fix itself and stop hurting.

Any clue whats up?!

Old 07-26-2006, 06:20 AM   #2
(female)

alzannod HB User
Re: pain inner right knee?

Hi, Jon....

You could have a meniscus tear on the medial (inside) of the knee. It could be a minor tear but you never know. If you have an orthopedist you can go to it might be worth it since it sounds like the problem has been around for a while and doesn't appear to be going away. Volleyball is a very hard sport for knees - a lot of pounding, diving and falling on them. I've had several knee surgeries (too many years of sports). Does it hurt when you're using the stairs?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-26-2006, 10:28 AM   #3
(female)

Jon7346 HB User

It does hurt when using stairs, but not always.

Today when getting up to walk in the kitchen its like my foot got stuck and my knee twisted a bit and it hurt again....

It has been ongoing but not quite like this. Maybe just a small thing getting worse? I dont want to go to the docs b/c I have other things happening and well, dont want yet another copay- yet!

Old 07-26-2006, 11:20 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

dustoffkid HB Userdustoffkid HB User

It sure does sound like a medial meniscus injury...if you plan to keep playing sports (the worst three for this type of injury are volleyball, baseball and football) you should definitely get it looked at.

In the mean time, ice it (especially after any kind of stressful workout), and try to keep it elevated a bit while at rest. Oh, and rest it as much as you can.

Good luck!

Old 07-26-2006, 01:19 PM   #5
(female)

Jon7346 HB User

darn it. Would it be that if it doesn't hurt all the time?? I think I read on a website that when you rest it- it feels better.

Mine doesn't hurt constantly. Just suddenly the pain comes and ouch. Then is subsides.

Sitting on my knees - hubby and I were doing yoga - its hurt. The pain went from the top of thigh- by the knee, down around my knee on the inside there.

argh. will it just get worse and worse?

Old 07-26-2006, 01:59 PM   #6
(female)

alzannod HB User

Let me add Tennis to that list of sports to avoid. Hate to tell you but it will probably only get worse. Ice will be your best friend in the mean time, along with any Advil type product. You actually should avoid ANY activity that puts stress on the joint - ie Yoga. I totally understand about wanting to avoid another co-pay but it does sound like there's a problem and you should have it looked at when ever you can arrange it.

Old 07-26-2006, 08:35 PM   #7
(female)

Jon7346 HB User

Hmmm..is there anything else to add to that list that I play?! Tennis and volleyball are my favorite. Yoga is ok, but I can do without!

I will try to get to the docs this week if possible, get it over with.

One more question- I am not in excrutiating pain. My friend had the same kind of tear and she said it was "terribly painful". Mine isn't that. There are times yes, but when it hurts I'd say I feel it, it's annoying, but I keep going.

Old 07-27-2006, 08:36 AM   #8
(female)

alzannod HB User

everyone is different - some people have a higher resistance to pain. Or your friends' tear could be in a slightly different place or to a lesser extent. Basically, I would think you should stay away from any sport that puts excess pressure on the joint. Its the pounding of volleyball and the twisting of tennis that are the problem. The piece of meniscus that is loose can catch on to something in the joint and tear more. Either way stopping until your doctor visit might be the way to go and let the doctor tell you what to do or not do.

Old 02-22-2007, 04:09 PM   #9
(male)

zloppy HB User

Im 15 and play tennis for my school team... ive been noticing similar pain as what your describing like in the knee and on the sides. mine hurts on the right, left and bottom and center sides of the knee where you said yours hurt. mine doesn't hurt all the time, only if its in a position for a while, i stand up, go up or down stairs sometimes and when it gets stretched out.

i first started noticing it like half a year ago

when we would do excersices like lunges. it hurt but slightly. i thought i could try to do them better but i was allready doing them correctly with my knee at a 90 degree angle and back straight. my coach said that if our knees hurt to tell her, but it didn't hurt much so i decided not to. since then it had been getting worse when i would excersice. then i hit that knee falling on the bleachers, it ran into the corner of a wall while running. its not been bruised or swollen or anything. but now my knee hurts like i described above.

anyone know like excactly what it is, and not just guessing. i'd really appreciate it so i can tell my coach and she can figure something out before it gets any worse.

Last edited by zloppy; 02-22-2007 at 04:31 PM. Reason: my inner OCD-ness made me move the smiley a little more to the right. heh

Closed Thread