It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2006, 10:06 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

barton93 HB User
My knees make funny noises!!!

When I walk up and down stairs I notice sounds coming from my knees that sound like rubber bands being stretched. It's actually embarrassing because when I'm in a public place (that is quiet....library for instance) it is loud and anyone walking up or down steps with me can hear it. Does anyone have any idea as to what this could be???

Old 08-30-2006, 06:24 PM   #2
(female)

KissaCieton HB User
Re: My knees make funny noises!!!

You're not alone.

I've had painful knees for years. Since I was a kiddie. I used to lose feeling in them, and end up crashing to the ground. Did it recently when getting up out of my computer chair in our study. Only problem is, we have tiled flooring. Ouch!!

I can be in agonizing pain with my knees.

But anyways, back to the noises. When I bend down, one knee clicks. When I go to stand up from bending, the other knee makes a grinding noise, and it is REAL loud. It can be painful sometimes, other times I just use it as a party trick. Freaks alot of people out ^_^

When I was younger, I was told that my knee problem was due to my growth rate. They thought I was going to be tall, and my knees couldnt stand my rapid growth. How wrong were they..?!! Well..I am only 5 ft 5..I've been this height since I was 10. And I'm still getting the pains. Especially when it's cold out.

I will go back to the doctors, now I'm older. See if they'll have another look.

Anyways, dont be embarrassed about the noises. We're all different.

.x

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-31-2006, 06:48 AM   #3
(female)

Gainup HB User

Boy can I relate!! My knees are super loud as well, especially up and down stairs. It's more a grinding crackling sound. I'll tell my hubby "hey, come over here and listen", and he runs away. For me, it's that I have basically no cartlidge in my knees. I'm bone on bone a lot of the time. I have pain while hiking, especially down hills. I am doing some naturopathic treatments now because I have really no other options. I did have 2 surguries many years ago, I guess it helped back then. They basically went in and grinded away the scar tissue.

Have you seen a Dr. yet about your noises? I would suggest it, especially if your young. Maybe you could do something now and not be in my position, or KissaCieton's It's not fun!!

Last edited by Gainup; 08-31-2006 at 06:49 AM.

Old 08-31-2006, 08:03 AM   #4
(female)

KissaCieton HB User

I know it's no fun. It's terribly painful. But after a while, you get used to it and see the brighter side.

I do suggest seeing a doctor, as I already added. But again, the noises arent anything to be embarrassed about.

I've had suggestions that I have arthritic knees. Maybe, maybe not. I'll see what my doctor says.

Keep me posted on how both your knees are going. Nice to know I'm not the only one out there with 'noisey knees'

Keep safe x

Old 08-31-2006, 11:18 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

barton93 HB User

Thanks to you both for your advice. I have not seen a doctor about this as of yet. What is the best doc to see? Orthopedic doc?

Oh, and by the way...........I'm soon to be 31 years old. I have had this problem for a few years. But, I have no pain.........just noise. So, I never worried too much. Now that it is getting louder, it concerns me.

Old 08-31-2006, 01:37 PM   #6
(female)

Gainup HB User

HI,

I would suggest an orthopedic Dr. or a Sports Medicine Dr. If you're not having pain, then it's probably not serious, but in my experince, the noise is not so good. They may just give you exercises to do, but who knows. I'm 39 now and have had knee problems since my early 20s. Mine come from being built kind of funny and my feet pronating. I also have bunions, so that doesn't help. Oh, I sound like an old lady!!

Good Luck!! I'd be curious to hear what the Dr. says if you go.

Old 08-31-2006, 03:09 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB User

Any unusual sound emitting from a joint should be checked, even if it doesn't hurt. Things like damaged or torn cartilage or even damaged ligaments can cause your knee to make sounds. It may be nothing but it's best to get it checked in case it is you'll want to protect it in the future.
I agree with Gainup, an Orthopeadic or Sports Med doctor would be the most appropriate. An Xray may not yeild any answers because they are not accurate at seeing soft tissue or cartilage, you may need an MRI.

Good luck
Barbie

Closed Thread